Which head gaskets?

Hollowdweller

Reaction score
Gotta order head gaskets, seems like I’ve always heard stock are best but dunno. While looking I noticed different brands offered different bore sizes. I’m getting bored .020 over…can I get stock replacements with a .020 over bore?

JC SSP

Reaction score
I will defer to others that have built 4.6L 3V for which head gaskets is the best, but back in the day, Fel-Pro was all I used.

More recently, Cometic is what I have on my little 5.0 coupe with excellent results. Obviously head studs and making sure all the machined surfaces are accurate & torqued goes a long way too.

I have yet to do a 4.6L 3V head gasket, but Cometic has several thickness available and over bore up to .040. Cometic 4.6 3V RIGHT HAND MLS 94MM Head Gasket (modmaxracing.com)

Hollowdweller

Reaction score
I will defer to others that have built 4.6L 3V for which head gaskets is the best, but back in the day, Fel-Pro was all I used.

Cometic 4.6 3V RIGHT HAND MLS 94MM Head Gasket (modmaxracing.com)
Dang never thought about thickness, no clue what to do there!?! Good news is the link you sent offers one to cover the .020 bore so I have an out, thank you sir!! $280 DAAANG lol! I was hoping since Mod’s standard one covers up to a .040 bore the factory ones would too but it doesn’t look like it from the research I’ve done.

Found these at MMR…just hate to deal with them again.https://www.modularmotorsportsracin...age=product_info&cPath=4_7_41&products_id=175

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Stock head gasket bore is close to 3.63" so an 0.020" overbore is not an issue.
The ford ones from the ford racing head changing kit is still the best deal.

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
Dang never thought about thickness, no clue what to do there!?! Good news is the link you sent offers one to cover the .020 bore so I have an out, thank you sir!! $280 DAAANG lol! I was hoping since Mod’s standard one covers up to a .040 bore the factory ones would too but it doesn’t look like it from the research I’ve done.

Found these at MMR…just hate to deal with them again.https://www.modularmotorsportsracin...age=product_info&cPath=4_7_41&products_id=175
Contact Tim at MPR Racing in Boynton Beach Florida

Hollowdweller

Reaction score
Stock head gasket bore is close to 3.63" so an 0.020" overbore is not an issue.
The ford ones from the ford racing head changing kit is still the best deal.
I still have the stock head gaskets on the block and they do feel alittle bigger than the hole but it’s really close. Prob take them to engine builder and see what he says after bore. I’ve been looking for a range the stock gaskets will cover but just keep finding this kinda info
upload_2023-3-2_7-3-57.png

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Measure them. I used them with 3.572" bore diamond pistons 0.020" as thousands of others have.
I have 2 sets still sitting on my wall and the bore measures around 3.63" on all 4 of them.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score

Hollowdweller

Reaction score
Didn’t see any stock gaskets in link but found a few sites lastnight saying the OEM gaskets would cover .030 bore so ill get’m ordered. Thanks all..will have head bolts for sale for cheap if anyone’s interested, got head studs and can’t seem to find the OEM gaskets without head bolts

Hollowdweller

Reaction score
Measure them. I used them with 3.572" bore diamond pistons 0.020" as thousands of others have.
I have 2 sets still sitting on my wall and the bore measures around 3.63" on all 4 of them.
Measured. Not sure what it tells me really but the summit link shows 90.20mm bore and I got 92.19…so it should work. This is not an accurate way to measure by the way, gauge kept jumping around as it slipped around hole but held this measurement for awhile. Ordered stock replacements the other day…just wanted to follow thru!!

747AFD20-0F08-4C2F-928E-D69A34AB17E0.jpeg

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back