Which TB on CJ Mani?

Rypper1

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Which throttle body works best on the Cobra Jet manifold? The 65 mm twin or the oval one? The oval looks like it would have higher flow numbers over the twin opening. Tried searching but couldn't find an answer.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Moved.

What is the rest of the set up?

Rypper1

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Car is currently bone stock. Will be adding long tubes and full exhaust, probably Pypes. And a Circle D converter.

From what I have been seeing most tuners say the 65 mm twin will be more streetable, so I may go that route since the car will rarely see the track. Although I have seen many owners say the oval was perfect on the street and better on the track.

Thanks for moving, I was trying to figure out how.

Last edited:

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I would talk with the tuner who's going to set up the car, find out which they have more experience with and gives better drivability. Not likely there is more than a few HP different.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
The big issue is that your TB isn't your biggest airflow restriction. Using bigger and bigger throttle bodies isn't going to gain you anything without other mods first. Hell, even with a centrifugal style blower the stock TB works just as well as the bigger ones. Now if you drop a TVS or Whipple on there then yes, a bigger TB will allow a lot more air to get stuffed through the motor.

I'm going to say that the oval TB will create more issues than it will solve. Your idle and low speed throttle response will suffer because it won't be able to meter smaller amounts of fuel and air as effectively as a smaller twin style TB. When you pass 700hp and need a bit more edge then you can think about the oval TB. You are a long way away from that. And with the CJ intake you will need all the low end help you can get.

Rypper1

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Lund will be doing the tuning. I sent an email but haven't heard back yet. If I remember correctly, in the past he has recommended the twin 65. Thought I'd ask here and see if anyone had first hand experience.

And thanks Skwerl, that is kind of what I was thinking. Hell on my 06 turbo'd GT I made right at 600 rwhp with the stock tb.

Last edited:

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Oodles of first hand experience on this board, although the ranks have thinned in the last couple years.

Rypper1

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Oodles of first hand experience on this board, although the ranks have thinned in the last couple years.

Yea, just started coming back myself. Seem like all of the old guys are gone. Or just about all. Still lots of good knowledge here.

Grabber

Coyote Snob Member
Reaction score
I assume this is on a 2011+ 5.0, correct?

If so, I run a mono blade TB. All of the guys I spoke to that raced the shit out of their cars had a mono blade and my tuner suggested it as well.

My car drives extremely well and I don't have hanging RPM issues, surging or idle issues. I get the occasional high rev start that lasts for about 5 seconds but that is most likely caused by me letting my car sit for months at s time during winter before firing it up.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
VMP tuning makes a twin 67mm TB... that is cheaper than the FRPP twin 65mm TB, and the twin 67 has the polished finish to it..and well made. I think Skwerl had one on his bullitt.

cbass

m̶o̶u̶t̶h̶s̶e̶x̶
Reaction score
My tuner recommended the twin 65 to me when I was thinking about a CJ setup. Then we got to talking, and it didn't seem worth it for my typical driving habits. I wasn't chasing an e/t with the car, so spending a couple G on something that only nets gains there just doesn't make sense.

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
I would save the money and just go with the Boss intake.

What are your long term goals?

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
Gt350 intake.

...based on what? He will need a new throttle body for that as well.

I have tuned plenty of 10 sec. N/A cars using the Boss with stock throttle body.

Let's have the OP state his goals before jumping to conclusions.

Rypper1

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Mostly my goal is to have a more aggressive car. I don't see a lot of track time, nor race on the street but I do like to engage in spirited driving. Also I'd want to beat my stepson and his Chevy SS. I am pretty sure I would be able to do that without going to the CJ but from what I have read, it is better if you don't plan to go FI in the future, which I don't.

BTW his Chevy SS runs low 11.2 currently, so I would have to get to about that number.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Is it a 5.0 or a 4.6? If it's a 4.6 you will likely need forced induction to hit that number.

Last edited:

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
Mostly my goal is to have a more aggressive car. I don't see a lot of track time, nor race on the street but I do like to engage in spirited driving. Also I'd want to beat my stepson and his Chevy SS. I am pretty sure I would be able to do that without going to the CJ but from what I have read, it is better if you don't plan to go FI in the future, which I don't.

BTW his Chevy SS runs low 11.2 currently, so I would have to get to about that number.

OK. You can achieve that goal with the Boss, CJ or stock intake.

I wouldn't waste or spend time with the CJ setup unless you are going to do cams. Spend the extra money on that to make the car more efficient (suspension and light weight parts)

A proven combo would be:
Boss intake
47lbs. FRPP injectors
A proper e85 or race fuel tune (lund)
Long tube headers
3.31 rear gear if auto; 3.73 if manual
Rod-ended suspension
Weld wheels with the correct tires (drag radial for auto and bias ply for manual)
Aluminum driveshaft
Weight reduction
...and other odds and ends.

What you need to do is search around for those who have been 10's N/A with stock long block cars and use one of the proven combos. If you have a manual trans car it will be more difficult and expensive than an auto.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back