Whipple with Mutha Thumpr cams?

scrappydoo1888

forum member
Reaction score
Hi boys! Just wondering what I should do? I purchased a used Whipple supercharger with intercooler for my 2005 Mustang GT convertible 5spd. I have Comp cams Mutha Thumpr cams installed currently. Love how they sound but have read they aren't great with the Whipple and would be a challenge to tune. Currently have an AM tune which isn't great. Will get a dyno tune at Dasilva racing after Whipple is installed.

Anyone have this set-up or can offer some insight? I still have my stock cams I can reinstall if that would be the better set-up to go with. The Thumpr's have only been in for like 4000km.

Thanks,

Steve

scrappydoo1888

forum member
Reaction score
I've never been there before as its 4 hours away from me but have heard great things about them. I'll call them tomorrow to see if they've done a set-up like this before. Was just curious if anyone else have it?

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
It can be done. The nice thing about a supercharger is that more or less power from your baseline is only a pulley change away. You will still be able to push the limits of a stock block with the cams.

If you really want a cam sound that works with the supercharger look into comp 127550. They require stiffer valve springs but that's a good idea with forced induction anyway.

Like the guy above suggested ask your tuner how comfortable they feel tuning for the cams. You could also look into having lito do a remote tune.

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score
Just get Lito to tune it!! Thats no brainer for a 3v blower cammed car. He tuned my mine.

Uncle Buck

forum member
Reaction score
Matt Dasilva will have no problem tuning your car with those cams. He's done plenty like it.

Matt and Lito have both tuned my car and both are outstanding at what they do. If a dyno tune is more your style, you want Matt. If you want to learn a bunch and don't mind a few trips to Mexico while you data log, then Lito is your guy.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
If you want to learn a bunch and don't mind a few trips to Mexico while you data log, then Lito is your guy.

Manuel will also do remote tuning live via phone and internet on a dyno so the trips to "Mexico" aren't needed all the time. In fact, he's become the remote tuner of choice for a local speed shop whenever they have a 3v because of the excellent tuning and instant communication and tune revisions.

This means that a quality dyno tune can be had on the closest dyno. It also means excellent follow up support for things like driveability.

Uncle Buck

forum member
Reaction score
Good to know. He did a great job on my DOB setup but those trips to Mexico...yikes!

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
IMO at 450rwhp I like the stock cams and the mountain of low end torques they provide more than the thumpy cam sound from aftermarket cams and less torques......at the exact same 450rwhp.

But if they were already in I wouldn't take them out.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
Def a question for your tuner. He will want the cam numbers. If you still have the Cam card that came with the cams that's even all the better.

scrappydoo1888

forum member
Reaction score
Matt Dasilva will have no problem tuning your car with those cams. He's done plenty like it.

Matt and Lito have both tuned my car and both are outstanding at what they do. If a dyno tune is more your style, you want Matt. If you want to learn a bunch and don't mind a few trips to Mexico while you data log, then Lito is your guy.

Good to hear about Dasilva! I'm having drivability issues currently with my Mutha Thumpr cams. Specifically in traffic, stop, lights, or backing up. I've had a couple tunes from American Muscle but none have fixed the issues. When coming to a stop light the rpm's will fluctuate from 850rpm's down to 300-400rpm's and then back-up a few times before settling at about 850rpm's. It also sometimes stalls or bucks at lower speeds which makes it a challenge in traffic. It also seems like i almost need to ride the clutch a little as well. I do have a 5spd. and had the 4.10 rear gears installed at the same time as the cams this spring. I was going to get this dyno tuned already but since I ordered the Whipple there was no point of having it done 2 times and make the 4 hour drive.

My concerns is that if this can't be tuned propely this will be a bigger pita with the whipple supercharger installed.

Thoughts? Is it just the tune that is my issue?

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
The back of Lito's neck must be burning pretty bad this morning! Has anyone else heard that expression? It might be a completely polish or regional thing. Superstitious thing that happens when people are talking about you.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
I've heard that if your ears are burning people are talking about you, and if your nose itches it means you are going to have company (guests to your house in the city).

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
I've heard that if your ears are burning people are talking about you, and if your nose itches it means you are going to have company (guests to your house in the city).

When we drop silverware it means guests are coming. I think this is more common.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
When we drop silverware it means guests are coming. I think this is more common.

The nose itching my 92 year old grandmother's old line. Never heard of the one about dropping silverware. I'm sure there are tons of superstitious sayings though and many are regional if not local. I like hearing the different old timer sayings regardless of where they come from. I'll have to remember the silverware saying.

Last edited:

Mach2burnout

05 Redfire GT
Reaction score
Good to hear about Dasilva! I'm having drivability issues currently with my Mutha Thumpr cams. Specifically in traffic, stop, lights, or backing up. I've had a couple tunes from American Muscle but none have fixed the issues. When coming to a stop light the rpm's will fluctuate from 850rpm's down to 300-400rpm's and then back-up a few times before settling at about 850rpm's. It also sometimes stalls or bucks at lower speeds which makes it a challenge in traffic. It also seems like i almost need to ride the clutch a little as well. I do have a 5spd. and had the 4.10 rear gears installed at the same time as the cams this spring. I was going to get this dyno tuned already but since I ordered the Whipple there was no point of having it done 2 times and make the 4 hour drive.

My concerns is that if this can't be tuned propely this will be a bigger pita with the whipple supercharger installed.

Thoughts? Is it just the tune that is my issue?

Those are common issues with AM tunes on Cammed 3v's. Lito is the man. Get in touch with him and he will fix your problems.

Sent from iPhone

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back