Whiteline Watts Link Failure

NoTicket

forum member
Reaction score
As someone not involved in all of this, you guys seem like you are being pretty big douche bags to RoadRacer350... You guys are great sources of info on this board but you are also being giant ass holes.

I don't know if something happened that affected you guys personally but from an outsiders point of view this seems pretty petty.

I guess any expected useful info was already in the thread before this hijack.

Is it just me or is that Crown Vic Watts pivots in single sheer?

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
NT, it's all in good fun - atleast for me.

We have all been involved in a good portion of threads in the past - that, if you were not tuned into, you would never get the banter. I like RR350, he is a good dude.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
As someone not involved in all of this, you guys seem like you are being pretty big douche bags to RoadRacer350...

What is the proper way to act toward someone who is CONSTANTLY making big claims and never backs them up?

RR350 has earned every bit of his reputation for not coming though....and then doing it again. And then doing it again. He can stop that reputation cold in its tracks by coming through on his claims. Or by not making anymore and hoping people forget about the ones he made in the past.

Roadracer350

forum member
Reaction score
What is the proper way to act toward someone who is CONSTANTLY making big claims and never backs them up?

RR350 has earned every bit of his reputation for not coming though....and then doing it again. And then doing it again. He can stop that reputation cold in its tracks by coming through on his claims. Or by not making anymore and hoping people forget about the ones he made in the past.

Again skippy.... Have you EVER asked me to make you ANYTHING? I have had one person ask me to make somthing and I helped him and it worked and I will help him again anytime.. Your just shitty because I called you out and proved I can make those plates cheaper than you and your pissed. Well guess what no one wanted them. I made 2 splitters and even posted pics up of me doing it and how I did it but I guess you forgot about that. I made 2 one for a friend local and one for me. I even posted up the .50cal rounds I made. They didn't shoot that well but at least I tried. The Navel Bronze shot the best FYI. I can't post pics from my iPhone so I will post the Ti axles up tomorrow from home JUST TO PLEASE YOU SKIPPY.. :evillaugh:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Norm.

That Watts Link got the kinda face only a Mother could love :laughlots: Though, according to those threads in the link it must be very reliable. Someone said it had over 100K miles on it.
Well, it was an OE Ford design specifically intended for police car duty . . . so you'd expect reliability under severe usage to be a top consideration.

If it's strong enough, the geometry is good, and it's tucked way up out of sight anyway . . . who cares what it looks like?

The mounting location of the Propeller and Arms is interesting
A bit unconventional perhaps, though I'm not sure that the CV was the first place where one was done up that way.

Have you ever seen pictures of Watts links with the main pivot attached to the bottom of the diff housing by a single large bolt or stud? Roll center down in IRS RC height territory, but not exactly a streetable arrangement, since you'd need to use sphericals at all four link ends.

Norm

Last edited:

FullAhead

forum member
Reaction score

A important consideration is that you guys, as clearly very knowledgeable resources, are the stewards for this forum. There are many of us who lurk, are new, or are otherwise not going to have any of the "context" to this drivel. Frankly, the context is irrelevant. When people behave like this on a public forum they comprimise their own integrity, the integrity of their business, and most importantly the integrity of the forum.

You're supposed to take the high road. Those are grade school level lessons.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
As someone not involved in all of this, you guys seem like you are being pretty big douche bags to RoadRacer350... You guys are great sources of info on this board but you are also being giant ass holes.

I don't know if something happened that affected you guys personally but from an outsiders point of view this seems pretty petty.

I guess any expected useful info was already in the thread before this hijack.

Is it just me or is that Crown Vic Watts pivots in single sheer?

good tech, smart guys, and a little bashing, this is s197forum!!!

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
A important consideration is that you guys, as clearly very knowledgeable resources, are the stewards for this forum. There are many of us who lurk, are new, or are otherwise not going to have any of the "context" to this drivel. Frankly, the context is irrelevant. When people behave like this on a public forum they comprimise their own integrity, the integrity of their business, and most importantly the integrity of the forum.

You're supposed to take the high road. Those are grade school level lessons.
Says the new guy who provides zero hints about himself in his profile and wants to change the forum demeanor . . . would you ask the guys in your local sports bar to conduct themselves at the bar as if they were in church?

Just as you'll find a wide range in what's considered acceptable behavior in physical gatherings, so too will you find it among internet fora. Some sites are not very tolerant, and the moderation on such message boards typically has a [too-] heavy hand. This isn't one of those places, something that you should have picked up on from what passes for acceptable language.

Carry on with the tech, I can't think of anything to add to it at the moment.

Norm

Last edited:

FullAhead

forum member
Reaction score
Says the new guy who provides zero hints about himself in his profile and wants to change the forum demeanor

Please don't misrepresent what I've wrote as a presumption that I'm entitled to influence the culture of what is preexisting here. All I can offer is my perspective on a question proposed by Gmitch. I don't believe my post count is relevent as to how entitled I am to post at all.

. . . would you ask the guys in your local sports bar to conduct themselves at the bar as if they were in church?

Just as you'll find a wide range in what's considered acceptable behavior in physical gatherings, so too will you find it among internet fora. Some sites are not very tolerant, and the moderation on such message boards typically has a [too-] heavy hand. This isn't one of those places, something that you should have picked up on from what passes for acceptable language.

Fair enough, and I agree. S197 is easily my favorite forum that I've come across with my time in the hobby and the different vehicles I've owned. It has the highest concentration of experienced, objective, and knowledgable people that I've come across -particularly the corner carvers section. People such as yourself, as well as gmitch, Terry, whiskey, Sam, etc. It's truely an exceptional user-base.

It is for that reason that actions like this grudge are, well, dissapointing.

Ill be done with it now, I hope I've made myself more clear.

Josh

Last edited:

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
Fair enough, and I agree. S197 is easily my favorite forum that I've come across with my time in the hobby and the different vehicles I've owned. It has the highest concentration of experienced, objective, and knowledgable people that I've come across -particularly the corner carvers section. People such as yourself, as well as gmitch, Terry, whiskey, Sam, etc. It's truely an exceptional user-base.

It is for that reason that actions like this grudge are, well, dissapointing.

I hear what you are saying. But that is part of the package. When you start dealing with the “hard core” end of things you tend to find yourself in a more “aggressive” environment.

There are a lot of people on this board pushing the ragged edge. Those type of people are not sitting around all day talking about unicorns and rainbows. People that seek the ragged edge are uber competitive by nature. And with that competitiveness comes friction.

You should see what the culture is in a competitive/dangerous race environment. Zero punches are pulled. This is nothing in comparison.

And the above is why this board is great!:thumb2:

modernbeat

Jason McDaniel @ Vorshlag
Official Vendor
Reaction score
...Have you ever seen pictures of Watts links with the main pivot attached to the bottom of the diff housing by a single large bolt or stud? Roll center down in IRS RC height territory, but not exactly a streetable arrangement, since you'd need to use sphericals at all four link ends.
Norm

Norm, I used that arrangement on my Lotus-7 autocross car. It used a three link with a horizontal Watts below the axle.

DSCF1322.jpg

Another innovative Watts would be the one on Paul Bird's AIX car. He used a torque arm with an integrated Watts.

The torque arm and Watts. Yes, the arms are short because this is a racecar with limited wheel travel.

Wattslinkrear.jpg

The football/propeller of the Watts. Yes, that is single shear.

Wattspivot.jpg

Installed under the car. The red surface in the foreground is the bottom of the fuel cell.

WattsLink.jpg

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
I like the Paul Bird version - really cool.

The only downfall I see is the lack of Roll-Center adjustment. That would be best on a car that is set-up on the initial build, but excellent idea nonetheless!

Whiskey11

SCCA Autoscrosser #23 STU
Reaction score
Josh

Wooooooooooooooooaaaaaah.... my name shouldn't be used in the same sentence as those people... they have talent! :p I'm just a hack!

The horizontal watts link is an interesting idea but when you have the room such as on the S197, the lack of roll center height adjustment is a bit damning in the tuning department.

modernbeat

Jason McDaniel @ Vorshlag
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Jason, that's a BAD ASS CAR!!!

Credit where it's due. Gene Young in Tennessee built the Lotus. Paul Bird is his best friend. I bought the Lotus from Gene and rebuilt it to suit my much larger body. It was a very fun car to experiment with.

2008 V6

forum member
Reaction score
Lots of whining on this thread.

Nothing wrong with a welded link if designed & welded properly single or double shear.

Like the Lotus 7 clone very, very much

Back