Who has gone from 3.15 to 3.73 in a 2011-2014 GT Automatic?

Stigma

forum member
Reaction score
If you have gone from 3.15 to 3.73 what else were you required to do besides the gear swap?

Grabber Blue 5.0

forum member
Reaction score
A tune. And your money would have better spent on a converter.

And this isn't tech.

Stigma

forum member
Reaction score
A tune. And your money would have better spent on a converter.

And this isn't tech.
I understand but my car is a daily driver and i did'nt feel like a $1,000.00 purchase or even more was a smart investment,the gears were given to me Free-
As far as this is'nt tech goes....im new here. So in the future where would i pose a question like this?
Thanks-

quiksilver15

forum member
Reaction score
Won't make your car any faster, it has been proven time and time again on this forum. Just stick with the 3.15s. Or are they already installed, your sig says 3.73s

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
What about 3.73's and a converter? lol

Great combo (I personally prefer 4.10's and a converter). There are plenty of people with opinions on gears for the 6R80 on these forums who have NEVER tried them in their own cars, yet they claim that 3.15's are better than steeper gearing. They have been trying to brainwash everyone that anything other than 3.15's is "wrong" for a 6R80.

It is a fact, however, that building a combo of mods that work in harmony is the path to going quicker. Sometimes that combo includes 4.10's, sometimes it may include 3.15's; it just depends on the powerband & intended use of the car, plus the entire roster of mods for a given car. I would keep 3.15's with a positive displacement blower, yet I would go with 4.10's for a centrifugal blower or bolt on NA car, for example.

firestang70

SW Ohio Ninja
Reaction score
My shop had 3.73 and said let's try them. I made a lot of passes and kept all info. I literally gained zero from 60' all the way down the. 1320. The only difference was less mpg on the highway and much more difficult time hooking at the track. I put 3.31 in so if go Boss intake I will stay at the top of third at the stripe. I do have a 3800 stall and was one of my best mods.

Stigma

forum member
Reaction score
Wow some pretty good points from all-

I have already installed the 3.73's and currently i have the Brembo wheels with Goodyear F1 run flats.....my nitto's and race stars will be here Thursday and hopefully i can make it to the track on Friday-

Thanks for all your thoughts and i will update once i get to the track-

quiksilver15

forum member
Reaction score
Great combo (I personally prefer 4.10's and a converter). There are plenty of people with opinions on gears for the 6R80 on these forums who have NEVER tried them in their own cars, yet they claim that 3.15's are better than steeper gearing. They have been trying to brainwash everyone that anything other than 3.15's is "wrong" for a 6R80.

It is a fact, however, that building a combo of mods that work in harmony is the path to going quicker. Sometimes that combo includes 4.10's, sometimes it may include 3.15's; it just depends on the powerband & intended use of the car, plus the entire roster of mods for a given car. I would keep 3.15's with a positive displacement blower, yet I would go with 4.10's for a centrifugal blower or bolt on NA car, for example.

If I recall correctly, I thought you didn't get any faster with the gear swap? But you did say it was a lot more fun to drive.

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
If I recall correctly, I thought you didn't get any faster with the gear swap? But you did say it was a lot more fun to drive.

Definitely more entertaining to drive.

My car went a best of 12.03 with 3.15 gears. Best ET with 4.10's has been an 11.78 plus I have a big stack of timeslips in the 11.8's & 11.9's with the 4.10's. I'm seeing more and more 6R80's at our local tracks with 4.10's getting in to the 11's while seeing 3.15 cars languish in the 12's (or even 13's).

Again, there really is not one single "best" gear ratio for these cars. You have to pick a ratio that harmonizes with tire height, traction, intended powerband, and other mods. For some of these cars that's a 3.15 gear, for some it's 4.10's, and others work great with 3.31's, 3.55's, or 3.73's. It's all about the combination.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Next up, I went with 4.10 gears and a Mike Rousch tune. Dropped 6 hundredths and another 1 mph. Most people seem to agree that the gears did nothing (and may have slowed the car), so credit this round to Mike's tuning, albeit I didn't have him datalog, so there should be more gains to be had. Time slips averaged....
I bought a Pypes Off-Road H-Pipe, and Mike altered the tune accordingly (still not datalogged, so there should be more improvements coming soon). Improved nearly 2 tenths in the 1/4!

LOL.

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
You're conveniently leaving out the fact that you also switched tuners and that's what made the biggest difference. (Your words)

You're all over the place with your information.
http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113854

Ah shit, the fuckin' 4.10 Nazi's are at it again. I tried to play nice before and downplay the 4.10's before to fit in around here, but damn, you guys are fuckin' zealots about your stupid 3.15 gears. If anyone disagrees with your ideas & opinions they're ridiculed. I'm officially recanting my prior statements about 4.10's not worth anything in a 6R80 Coyote.

Oh, my factory 3.15's are in a box in my garage. I'll sell them to anyone who wants them. How about $500? They're obviously fuckin' gold around here.

You're conveniently leaving out the fact that you also switched tuners and that's what made the biggest difference. (Your words)

You're all over the place with your information.
http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113854

Oh, and if you read the thread you've linked above, you'll see that my car went .06 quicker & over 1 mph faster, on average, with the 4.10's vs the 3.15's. I didn't want to make waves about Mike Rousch's tune, but I ran the 4.10's with the Bama & SCT tunes (before installing the O/R H-pipe) and the car went just a fast as with Mike's tune, so it was the 4.10's made my car quicker & faster. Mike's tune improved drivability dramatically, though, and is awesome. Just didn't make my car any quicker at the drags vs Bama & SCT.

You all don't have to like 4.10's, but quit trying to force your opinions as fact on other people when they most certainly are not facts. And, to Grabber Blue 5.0 specifically: your precious '11 GT is modded much more than my car, but you have never posted an 11 second timeslip with that car ever (mid 12's, IIRC, is your best ET's). I have a big stack of 11 second timeslips. So, how is it that your car is modded much more than mine, still has its 3.15 gears, yet is much slower than my car?

Last edited by a moderator:

FIVE-OH

forum member
Reaction score
I will add that I feel 3:73's and 4:10's are a waste on these cars. Money can be better spent elsewhere. ALL the quickest 5.0 4V's are running 3:15 or 3:31 to my knowledge. I personally know two people who swapped to 3:73 and 4:10, both gained nothing but more shifts and less traction on the street. No ET gain...both since have swapped back. They make you THINK the car is quicker, but it really isn't.

Last edited:

Grabber Blue 5.0

forum member
Reaction score
So, how is it that your car is modded much more than mine, still has its 3.15 gears, yet is much slower than my car?
Actually I run less gear and less converter than you and my car isn't slower than yours. Sorry to burst your bubble there. But there's no need to make this a me vs. you Brian.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back