Who should I talk to about getting the fenders rolled

bigwilly43729

I do stupid shit, a lot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I recently gave up the 20's for 18's and I'm running a 295/45 out back. The tires will rub on occassion, particularily at the top of steep hills or if I hit a dip too hard.

My buddy told me about getting my fenders rolled to avoid this. What kind of shop should I take it to to have this done? Anyone in the San Diego area know of anyone specific?

Thanks!

NotQuik

I can't drive
Reaction score
they do have fender rolls that actually attach to the rear axle and bolt on but if I remember correctly these fenders are basically already rolled unlike the previous year mustangs....hopefully somebody can correct me if i'm wrong. I"m not near my car either or i'd go verify myself. The only other thing I can think of is pushing hte outter fender outwards but would be concerned about damaging the paint.

bigwilly43729

I do stupid shit, a lot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I read up on it, and it seems that you can get a fender roller for a DIY project, but I don't feel comfortable doing it myself.

Jarrod@latemodelresto

Official Vendor
Reaction score
i pretty easy i did mine myself. i took a heat gun and "warmed" up the inner fender well so the paint wouldnt crack or chip. i had a buddy that had a roller. it mounted to the studs and put my lug nuts on to hold it in place. took about 5-10 mins for each fender! looks something like this

roller2.jpg

roller.jpg

tached_out

Bigger the better
Reaction score
There really is not much to roll on these cars. Look at an SN95 compared to ours. From what I know correct me if I am wrong you roll the inside lip up. You dont really make it wider you just make it so the tire can fit up there more

eastwood.jpg

Hitman

Banned
Reaction score
If you are talking about the rear fenders, they are rolled from the factory.

bigwilly43729

I do stupid shit, a lot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
good idea to shoot yerself seeing as how vague your original post was.

I recently gave up the 20's for 18's and I'm running a 295/45 out back. The tires will rub on occassion, particularily at the top of steep hills or if I hit a dip too hard.

My buddy told me about getting my fenders rolled to avoid this. What kind of shop should I take it to to have this done? Anyone in the San Diego area know of anyone specific?

Thanks!

How much more specific could I be?

My tires are rubbing.

I've heard that you can get your fenders rolled to avoid this, but I don't know where to get it done.

I make a thread asking what kind of shop will do this for me and if anyone in the San Diego area knows of a good one.

Perhaps you need to increase your vocabulary to understand what I'm trying to get across.

Last edited:

Dex

I'm Dexolishous
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
They come rolled from the factory. Previous years would eat up the sidewalls

5.0Shocker

Resident Bomb Tech
Reaction score
When you use the roller to roll out the fender even more it's called pulling the fender. Back in the day people would actually pull them out by hand to clear bigger tires. Now that we have rollers it's much smoother...

Vapour Trails

The Renaissance Man
Reaction score
Or you could just buy tires that fit? 295/45/18 is 1.5" taller than stock, it's friggin' tractor tire that will make your car look ridiculous.

Last edited:

bigwilly43729

I do stupid shit, a lot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Or you could just buy tires that fit? 295/45/18 is 1.5" taller than stock, it's friggin' tractor tire that will make your car look ridiculous.

Actually, the car looks great. I had read where others had this size with no problems, which made my decision much easier.

Unfortunately, if I can't get them pulled/rolled, I will have to step it down a notch, which at this point, wouldn't be very surprising to me.

bigwilly43729

I do stupid shit, a lot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
When you use the roller to roll out the fender even more it's called pulling the fender. Back in the day people would actually pull them out by hand to clear bigger tires. Now that we have rollers it's much smoother...

I called around today and was told to try a couple of body shops to remedy the problem. We'll see.

bigwilly43729

I do stupid shit, a lot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Here's an idea: I have D-specs. Could playing with the adjustments possibly help with this problem? I have them 5 or 6 out from full hard right now. Maybe firming them up will help?

ArtQ

forum member
Reaction score
Bigwilly, all the ideas about rolling the fenders you have is a throwback, our S197's are allready rolled. Look up under your fender lip, you will not gain any more clearance by "rolling". Look at a 2004 and below (except for a 1970's vintage boss). Pulling is a different story and will most likely result in butt ugly. You will have to adjust back space/tire size to fix this.....
Is it rubbing on one side only? Maybe you need an adjustable panhard if that's the case.....

bigwilly43729

I do stupid shit, a lot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Bigwilly, all the ideas about rolling the fenders you have is a throwback, our S197's are allready rolled. Look up under your fender lip, you will not gain any more clearance by "rolling". Look at a 2004 and below (except for a 1970's vintage boss). Pulling is a different story and will most likely result in butt ugly. You will have to adjust back space/tire size to fix this.....
Is it rubbing on one side only? Maybe you need an adjustable panhard if that's the case.....

Nah, it's rubbing on both sides. This is only on dips or coming out of driveways.

Guess I'll be spending more money. My favorite thing to do....:mad2:

tached_out

Bigger the better
Reaction score
yeah trust me i have thought about doing this to in order to fit a slick on. Most likely if some one attempts to pull there fender like stated before. It will turn out like crap and your lines wont match up and you have more damage to risk then to just buy new tires.

It sucks im trying to get rid of my 20's as well. I wish I would of done more research before I bought them. They were my first mod and my worst mod.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Willy - what offset are your rims? your not using a spacer are you??

stiffing the rear shocks will likely help IMO, but it will not solve the issue. Is the car lowered?? if so new springs to raise the rear will certainly help.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back