Who would support our own race group?

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
The NHRA shit isn't really racing, Don. I'm talking the index racing like we do at FFW and NMRA. No electronics. No delay boxes. No transbrakes. Just you, the car, and an index that YOU set for yourself.

And a Pro Tree. :evil:

Yep - that's only NHRA Don. All that shit (electronics) are illegal in the the PSCA and WCHRA in most the index classes as well...:idea:

It blows brackets out of the water IMO and much more of a challenge to always run the number regardless of the conditions. It's far closer to heads up racing than a bracket race will ever be IMO.

LMAO... I think you guys are talking about two different things. SD is talking about a driver-defined "dial-in" index, and Mark is talking about a "target" index (e.g., 9.90, 10.60, 10.90, etc). Of the two, the driver defined "dial-in" would be better, IMO.

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
How so? The set index classes I am speaking of aren't any different IMO. There is no electronics allowed and basically no rules to what you do to your car. Instead of you setting a dial, you have a dial to tune and build for. If your car can run a 10.37 - then what's unreasonable about dialing it in for a 10.90 class? It's much better racing IMO mainly because both cars are leaving at the same time and trying to hit the same number.

I'll tell you that barring a fuckup on my part, it would have been EASY for me to win the MM over the weekend because of the way brackets work.'

Being the much slower car than the average field was such a huge advantage. All I had to do was cut a good light and then the race was mine to win or lose. Hell, in the slowmobile I had the radio on and heard the RT's from the announcer by the time I was at the 1/8 mile and knew exactly where I stood...All I had to do is always stay a little faster than the dial and judge the car next to me as it came up. At the stripe, I just had to judge how early to lift to stay a fender ahead. With a little more practice, I could kill that class in a V6. Just not fun at all IMO. Now - I know having a 'fast' car in bracket races is a disadvantage.

But that's just me, hell - whatever floats your boat, but for me personally, the index classes blow the brackets out of the water as far as fun and competition wise.

There's no right or wrong - just preference..:beer:

Last edited:

chad05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yes, exactly... bracket racing. The only difference would be that it would be an S197-specific series in the Southwest. I just don't think there is much chance for a heads up organization to succeed. Not unless you cultivate it and let it grow out of a more grass roots style organization. That is what I'm suggestiing... start with an open bracket series. Get people interested (and hooked), and then see how it develops over the first year or two.

Ive picked up a few things from Jose' on our last Juarez trip... Southwest... we got that covered ;)

:LMAO:

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
There's no right or wrong - just preference..:beer:
Precisely.... :thumb: I just don't see the fun of taking a 10.37 car and making it run 10.90. To each his own. The good thing about drag racing is that there is something there for everyone.

Shaffe

forum member
Reaction score
sounds like your trying to set up a variation of index racing to me, or at least when i browsed through the posts that what it seemed. thats basically what the IMSM is. as close to heads up racing as you can get around Illinois at least. its great fun. i hope you get something going

EagleStroker

N/A Junkie
Reaction score
Like John Said, There is a few of us on the East Coast doing this same thing http://S197Shootout.com

I would consider doing this, but with the mods already done to my car there is no way I could be competitive in the class that I would run, which judging by your rules would be Street Eliminator.

Good luck guys, you have some excellent minds in here.

Ken3030

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'd be interested in any type (index,target index, or heads up)as long it is LATE model vehicles and no imports. That would be cool.

chad05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The NHRA shit isn't really racing, Don. I'm talking the index racing like we do at FFW and NMRA. No electronics. No delay boxes. No transbrakes. Just you, the car, and an index that YOU set for yourself.

And a Pro Tree. :evil:

+1:thumb:

chad05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Precisely.... :thumb: I just don't see the fun of taking a 10.37 car and making it run 10.90. To each his own. The good thing about drag racing is that there is something there for everyone.

get car set to run 9.90:evillaugh:

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
get car set to run 9.90:evillaugh:

LOL - precisely what I was going to say to Don.

No - it's not fun making a 10.30 car fit a 10.90 calss - but it IS FUN making a 10.30 car fit a 9.90 class...:beerdrink:

gijosh28

Bad Penny
Reaction score
I think he knows what hes doing. Only 5/100ths variation in three runs in the low 12s. pretty impressive. I am usually within 5/100ths on all my runs when I go to the track too.

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
These are all some good ideas, I like both the dial in and the target ones. I'd almost like to see more of a 2005 and up catigory though so you could get chargers, challengers, Magnums and cameros as well.

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
These are all some good ideas, I like both the dial in and the target ones. I'd almost like to see more of a 2005 and up catigory though so you could get chargers, challengers, Magnums and cameros as well.

That is what I have tried to pitch to the guys at WCHRA. Figured that out in California there would be plenty of Mustangs, Camaros, Vettes, Chargers, Challengers, etc...to make a pretty decent field. Keep it an all street car deal with no transbrakes and a dial your own index with a Pro Tree to keep it interesting.

Guess I didn't do their work for them as far as lining up a sponsor and getting forty cars signed up for the season. Oh well....all one can do it try.

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
That is what I have tried to pitch to the guys at WCHRA. Figured that out in California there would be plenty of Mustangs, Camaros, Vettes, Chargers, Challengers, etc...to make a pretty decent field. Keep it an all street car deal with no transbrakes and a dial your own index with a Pro Tree to keep it interesting.

Guess I didn't do their work for them as far as lining up a sponsor and getting forty cars signed up for the season. Oh well....all one can do it try.

I agree, I like the idea of keeping it a street car race too, part of the rules, you have to drive it to the track. Maybe limit it to drag radials, no slicks. Dial in, run your best time and give you a zone, i.e. I run a 12.5 my time bracket would be something like 12.01 to 12.9 run a 12.00 and you loose. I think that would be very interesting to watch. There would I'm sure be sand bagging but I'm sure rules could be put in place to make that difficult, and to be honest, if your good enough to sand bag to a specific time that takes more skill then just running all out I think.

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
Dial in, run your best time and give you a zone, i.e. I run a 12.5 my time bracket would be something like 12.01 to 12.9 run a 12.00 and you loose. I think that would be very interesting to watch. There would I'm sure be sand bagging but I'm sure rules could be put in place to make that difficult, and to be honest, if your good enough to sand bag to a specific time that takes more skill then just running all out I think.

Two ways to handle the "dial-in" or "index". Same way we do in Super Stang or Ultra Street.

A: S/S - run your qualifiers on Saturday. Sunday morning you put a number on the window and that is your index for the rest of the day. No passes allowed on Sunday morning prior to the first round!

B: U/S - run your qualifiers on Saturday. Take the quickest pass and deduct a tenth of a second and that is your index for the rest of the day. No passes on Sunday morning prior to the first round.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back