why are the gains with hot rod cams so inconsistent?

Viperbluelx

forum member
Reaction score
I see some threads where people say to go with hot rod cams for the sound only because they don't gain any power, then I'll see another thread where someone swapped in hot rod cams and gained 30rwhp n/a. So why isn't there a consistent gain? Is it the tuner or are the cams not always ground to spec?

yellowjohn1

forum member
Reaction score
There was another thread recently that discussed this exact thing. Tuners chimed in about the reasoning.

Blacksmoke

forum member
Reaction score
We had the Hot Rods with long tubes and a high flow catted x.

I can tell you a tune DOES make a big difference.
We had ours tuned and gained 40RWHP with the exhaust upgrade included.

If someone gained NOTHING then they HAD to of not received a tune....
or got a really crappy one lol

Franchi

Senior JR Member....
Reaction score
A lot has to do with supporting mods too.

Bolt cams on to a pure stock car with a tune vrs bolting them on to a S197 with delete plates, long tube headers, offroad h or x, ect ect

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
Some tuners know about the retard FRPP suggests and some don't.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/download/instructionsheets/FordInstShtM-6550-3V.pdf

^this...

Read page 2.
xft4j.jpg

Viperbluelx

forum member
Reaction score
A lot has to do with supporting mods too.

Bolt cams on to a pure stock car with a tune vrs bolting them on to a S197 with delete plates, long tube headers, offroad h or x, ect ect

A buddy of mine did the hot rod cams, FRPP intake, pypes long tubes, X-pipe, and a custom dyno tune and it made 304rwhp. Needless to say he was disappointed but he never got a base line dyno to see what it made before the mods, maybe his was built on a Friday.

Viperbluelx

forum member
Reaction score
Dynojet 248, they tuned another S197 same day with longtubes, stock intake, stock cams but most of the other bolt-ons and it made 300rwhp, so yeah he was pretty tore up.

TheKurgan

forum member
Reaction score
A buddy of mine did the hot rod cams, FRPP intake, pypes long tubes, X-pipe, and a custom dyno tune and it made 304rwhp. Needless to say he was disappointed but he never got a base line dyno to see what it made before the mods, maybe his was built on a Friday.

My first question would be about other FRPP cars that he has tuned. That's the only way I'd buy it being down on power to begin with. If the tuner is seeing 330rwhp on other cars with that setup then yeah I'd say it's a factory slug....otherwise he's not a very good tuner.

Wlkn Tal

forum member
Reaction score
From what I've heard not all cars/ engines are the same. A friend of mine and I have the same year GT (2008) and the same mods, but I was getting 10RWHP more. I have FRPP cams, Steeda MDP, BBK CAI, Roush UDP, O/R H Pipe and FRPP cat back ( swith to magnaflow). With cutom tune turned out 325rwhp and 335rwtq. Cams do make the car sound great, but they don't do much for HP. Of course I just purchased a Whipple so most of this parts are going away.

Kadorja

FNG
Reaction score
My Hot rods, Steeda CAI and offroad H with a dyno tune landed me at 305whp and 307wtq. Landed me some decent HP but not so much TQ.

I'll see what the long tubes and CMDPs get me once I get them installed.

remainvayne

Reaction score
All in the tune & I do believe some cars are higher while some are lower.

I have headers, O/R mid, CMDPs, JLT, & Hot Rods. On Sutton's dyno I came in at 340rwhp & 329 tq. The guy did say that's one of the highest he's seen for my mods, but I believe a lot of that is from BBR's tune.

Blacksmoke

forum member
Reaction score
My Hot rods, Steeda CAI and offroad H with a dyno tune landed me at 305whp and 307wtq. Landed me some decent HP but not so much TQ.

I'll see what the long tubes and CMDPs get me once I get them installed.

Long tubes will give you about another 12-15RWHP with the cams.
Like I said I gained 40RWHP with cams and long tubes.

Everyone I know that put on either the hot rods or the detroit rockers with long tubes and a tune got around the same numbers.

Notice in most advertisements it will say what they gained WITH long tubes. They are pretty important as a supporting mod for cams.

If anyone got a much lower number, either you did not get a tune, got a bad tune, or did not instal long tubes with the setup

Blacksmoke

forum member
Reaction score
I can't tell you how much I hate this snobby unhelpful reply.

So what search parameters should one use to find that thread without having to wade through tons of results all day?

I'm gonna have to agree with you there.
It's almost like people make those remarks JUST to be that way.

It's not like its a boatload of trouble to help someone.
If SEARCH was the reply every time we asked for help, there would in fact
be no help to friggin' search.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back