Will AM Bullitt Chrome wheels hold up to high horsepower?

raredesign

forum member
Reaction score
Good day all.

I found on this thread that the American Muscle Bullitt wheels, even though they look awesome, may be cheap Chinese-made wheels.

Please note, I absolutely love American Muscle and bought WAAY too much stuff from them. :clap:, but I am just trying to find out if this purchase is appropriate for my particular setup and use.

After many many threads on here and the interweb, I "think" I have decided on the Mickey Thompson ET Street S/S in a 305/40/18.

I am hoping that the wheels will hold up as I am unsure what it takes to crack at the bolts or shatter from forces on the strip.

While this will primarily be "hopefully" an ~850rwhp DD, I would certainly like to hit the strip at some point. Anyone have drag strip experience with these rims?

Thanks all.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Cheap SR cast chrome wheels, held up fine for me for a few years.

ShelbyVert2.jpg

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
I have the same 18 x10 AM chrome bullitt deep dish wheels as you have in ur link....and on all 4 x corners. I believe they are aprx 30 lbs each. I only have 390 rwhp. With deep dish rims the spokes are inboard a bit, which imo, may provide for better overall support, vs spokes that start at the outer edge of the wheel. I don't think you will have any issues. They have a lifetime warranty on em for structural issues. Zero problems with the TPMS sensors.

I did have an issue with one of the 10" rims..with a real slooow leak. Took it to the local tire shop, and we stuck it into a big tank of water. Up came the tiniest stream of bubbles I have ever seen... on the barrel, 2" from the edge of the inboard edge. No big deal, AM sent out a 2nd rim asap...and also paid for the invoice from local tire shop to swap the rubber from defective rim to new replacement rim.

The TPMS would trip every 4 weeks, once pressure was down to 24 psi (= 75% of the 32 psi ford recommended tire pressure on the sticker on the door post)

raredesign

forum member
Reaction score
I have the same 18 x10 AM chrome bullitt deep dish wheels as you have in ur link....and on all 4 x corners. I believe they are aprx 30 lbs each. I only have 390 rwhp. With deep dish rims the spokes are inboard a bit, which imo, may provide for better overall support, vs spokes that start at the outer edge of the wheel. I don't think you will have any issues. They have a lifetime warranty on em for structural issues. Zero problems with the TPMS sensors.

I did have an issue with one of the 10" rims..with a real slooow leak. Took it to the local tire shop, and we stuck it into a big tank of water. Up came the tiniest stream of bubbles I have ever seen... on the barrel, 2" from the edge of the inboard edge. No big deal, AM sent out a 2nd rim asap...and also paid for the invoice from local tire shop to swap the rubber from defective rim to new replacement rim.

The TPMS would trip every 4 weeks, once pressure was down to 24 psi (= 75% of the 32 psi ford recommended tire pressure on the sticker on the door post)

Thanks for the feedback. So the TPMS was only tripping due to the leak over 4 weeks, and after you got it fixed there were no problems?

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If you have 4-pot Brembos up front, you will have difficulties getting some of the 18" AM wheels to fit. Basically, you'll need to find a shop that can balance the wheels in such a way that you won't have weights hitting the calipers.

raredesign

forum member
Reaction score
If you have 4-pot Brembos up front, you will have difficulties getting some of the 18" AM wheels to fit. Basically, you'll need to find a shop that can balance the wheels in such a way that you won't have weights hitting the calipers.

I'll have to keep that in mind, as I plan on upgrading the brake system at some point.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back