will these racestars fit?

cwhit23

forum member
Reaction score
Hi just found a deal on craigslist.

15x10 with 6.5 inch backspacing?
3 x 1.5 x 15 for fronts.

I know this has probably been beat to death, and I did search. but nothing specific came up, so I figured I'd post becuase If these fit, I gotta pull the trigger fast.

I have an 06 GT with standard GT Brakes.

thanks for any help you can give me.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
With 10" rims you'll need relocation brackets for the rear, involves a little welding.
The fronts will be difficult to find tires for unless you use the high dollar racing skinnies which run $150 and up. But they will clear the brakes (barely). My 15x3.75 fit but the stick on weights were partially rubbed away by the brake caliper.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Your right, but everyone sells them with 7.5" backspacing for our cars.

cwhit23

forum member
Reaction score
That thread doesn't list the Race Stars. Read the last couple posts in the thread. :(

Yeah, I looked at that and got the same result, no racestar listed..

You can still use the 6.5" BS for the 05+. They were designed for the 94-04 cars though.

Thanks! So being they were designed for the 94-04 cars, what is the disadvantage to using them on 05 and up cars?

will I still need hubcentric rings and sway bar relocation brackets? Do you guys sell these?

oh yeah,and the fronts have tires, they are 165-80-15's. will those work, and these will clear the brakes?

Edit: why do these require sway bar relocate when after market staggard bullits, 18x9 and 18x10 etc don't? I just had that thought. Just curious, is it the backspacing?

thanks guys, you all rock!

Last edited:

Jarrod@latemodelresto

Official Vendor
Reaction score
I may have worded that a little wrong. 7.5 fit best for the 05+, 6.5 fit best for 94-04 due to the wheel openings and the smaller offsets. The 15x8 are 5.5 BS and are used on cars from 94-12.

You will still need everything to make them work. The brackets are used to get the wheels to fit with out the tires hitting anything on the rear end. Kind of like the IRS bolts on the 03-04 cobras.

Check out the blog write up on are web site and it will explain everything.

Yes I have everything in stock ready to ship.

Last edited:

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
I also have 165/80-15 tires on my fronts. Instead of buying racing tires for $150 each I went cheap and found some automotive tires for less than half that price. I've had them on the car for one day to try them out. They are very small and I scraped the front end a couple times because it was so low. Also, they are almost overloaded with the weight of my car so they handle like shit. At this point I'm not willing to drive my car at 100+mph with these tires on the front. If it was an old beater then sure, but I still have 41 payments left on the car.

Boozshey

Reaction score
With 10" rims you'll need relocation brackets for the rear, involves a little welding.

That part is incorrect. It requires a SWAY bar relocation which it requires a bit of cutting/grinding. But no welding is required at all.

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
You will need a sway bar relocation kit for the 15x10.

If you run a 6.5 BS, you will also most likely need a 5/8" Spacer as well to clear the rear caliper. As this is the same issue that the 15x10 Summit and Jeg Star wheels provide.

If you run the 7.5 BS you won't need the spacer but will still need the sway bar relocation.

cwhit23

forum member
Reaction score
You will need a sway bar relocation kit for the 15x10.

If you run a 6.5 BS, you will also most likely need a 5/8" Spacer as well to clear the rear caliper. As this is the same issue that the 15x10 Summit and Jeg Star wheels provide.

If you run the 7.5 BS you won't need the spacer but will still need the sway bar relocation.

So needing a spacer is the biggest difference. -- I don't know. the guy wants 650 for the set with tires. The backs aren't ET Streets though, just regular 295-50-15.

Can't decide if thats a decent deal or not. thats a pretty good savings. If I bought them new and had to buy front and rear tires, though I'll still be buying ET Streets for the back..

Boozshey

Reaction score
I don't think it's that great of a deal at all. You might save $250-$300 but in the end you aren't running the correct wheel.

I'd pass.

cwhit23

forum member
Reaction score
I don't think it's that great of a deal at all. You might save $250-$300 but in the end you aren't running the correct wheel.

I'd pass.

kind of what I was thinking after sleeping on it and getting some prices from vendors on here. By the time, I get the spacers, sway bar relocation kit, and hub centric rings, along with buying the ET Streets, I'm probably not coming out that much better and I'd rather know it's the right thing.

Thanks everyone for your quick reply's and help!

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
The 15x8 Race Stars slap right on without any modifications or spacers. You can run a 275/50-15 which gives you plenty of rubber on the ground unless you're putting down insane horsepower.

Steedman07

Classified's Moderator:)
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I just put on 15x10 and 15x3.75 racestars today. Like said above, no welding for the relocation brackets, but you will need a hacksaw or something. It was a PIA to get the sway bar to fit right, and the passenger side is hitting the LCA bracket. I will have to shave off an 1/8th of an inch nect week. I have 26x4.5-15 Mickey thompson front runners and my front end is definitely lower, lol. Its really low now, but I will deal with it.

cwhit23

forum member
Reaction score
The 15x8 Race Stars slap right on without any modifications or spacers. You can run a 275/50-15 which gives you plenty of rubber on the ground unless you're putting down insane horsepower.

I'm thinking about going the 8's just for this very reason. On and done. I've got all the bolt-ons minus cams, so I don't think I will over power the 275/50's

Racingtheburg

forum member
Reaction score
The 15x10 6.5 not the right back spacing for the s197 we use a 7.5bs 15x10.

15x3's no problem.

cwhit23

forum member
Reaction score
And what happens if you do? Now you have two useless wheels/tires. Go big or go home... ;)

You got a helluva good point there. It would suck to buy it and still blow the tires off the line. Especially since my track sucks for traction anyway. ....

Go big or go home.. Yep, You my friend are right. I just dread like hell doing the sway bar relocate when I do it. I've heard alot of people say it's a pain in the ass. - It can't be no harder than doing the long tubes though.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back