Winter/Snow tires!

Torched S197

forum member
Reaction score
I haven't tried the brake and gas as the same time. I did turn TCS off though (i'm not that dumb guys! :beerdrink:)

As for the blizzaks, there's an "LM-60" which is the "winter performance" and the "WS70" which is "studless ice and snow".

The WS70 is cheaper...is that the one to get?

Try that sometime, if you can get it into 2nd without wheel hop and set it on the limiter you'll leave 75+ yard black marks with the pzeros

HellsBells

620/677
Reaction score
Try that sometime, if you can get it into 2nd without wheel hop and set it on the limiter you'll leave 75+ yard black marks with the pzeros

lol. As much fun as that sounds, I'll wait until spring and see what I do with these tires. It just feels like such a waste...:beerdrink:

Torched S197

forum member
Reaction score
I don't blame ya. I got 18,000 miles out of the pzeros and 15+ burnouts like I posted, and they still have decent tread. But when you do it take a video lol

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
I haven't tried the brake and gas as the same time. I did turn TCS off though (i'm not that dumb guys! :beerdrink:)

As for the blizzaks, there's an "LM-60" which is the "winter performance" and the "WS70" which is "studless ice and snow".

I think the WS70 will perform better in snow but not as well on dry pavement. If you're going to have a second set of wheels with dedicated snow tires then go with the WS70. Then swap back to the performance tires as soon as the snow melts.

cm581978

forum member
Reaction score
Now you have me worried about the winterforce tires

Narrow equals more 'cutting' through to the pavement power vs. wide 'floating' on top of the snow.

I'd recommend running two sets of wheels and tires, summer and winter, so the salt doesn't trash the 'pretty' rims of summer.

We're in Germany and got tired of the 2 sets of wheels/tires for the wife's car (Focus) and went with Vredestein Quatrac 3 tires. http://www.vredestein.com/Banden_Bandtypes.asp?UsersessionID=0&BandgroepID=3&BandtypeID=66

They are quiet, don't squirm and have outstanding grip both wet and dry for a tire that works very well in the snow. Highly recommended even if you use it as a dedicated 'winter' tire.

Had some Firestone Winterforces on winter rims for the 3-series a couple years ago and they were great in the snow but dangerous otherwise! Think brand new nobbie tires on your dirt bike and the looseness that comes with high speed. Anything more than a slow lane change caused the car to walk around on the knobs of these snow tires. They couldn't go around a corner to save their ass either...

So, my recommendation is to shop for a slightly narrower than stock snow tire that is multi-season capable since you travel mostly plowed roads.

Brian

S197gt07

forum member
Reaction score

Get the WS70's

Another option are the X-Ice II's from Michelin. I've heard they are up there with the blizzacks in winter performance.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=135

Looks like the contis were #1, hmmmm

Grabber

Coyote Snob Member
Reaction score
I'd personally go with Blizzaks.

I've been running Blizzaks going on 4 years now on 1 car, and have had 2 other cars with both Blizzaks and WS70's. The Blizzaks were hands down better tires, and there was not a significant price difference.

For those that say to use All Seasons. All season tires will eventually freeze if it gets to a certain temp. Winter tires will not, and you will have less issue with traction and less worry about losing it.

It can be done with All Seasons, however, Winter tires provide a lot more than an All Season can/could in a winter season.

kcobra

forum member
Reaction score
Blizzaks aren't what they used to be. The old WS-15 I think they were called worked awesome. They are still good but the winterforce, for the money, are pretty descent. Dunlop Graspics also work really well. Trust me, I live in the snowiest and coldest part of Maine. lol

cm581978

forum member
Reaction score
My summers are the Conti Extreme Contact's, so I'm probably in for a harsh reality check when I throw on the winterforce's. Handling will go right out the window.:roflmao:

Blizzaks aren't what they used to be. The old WS-15 I think they were called worked awesome. They are still good but the winterforce, for the money, are pretty descent. Dunlop Graspics also work really well. Trust me, I live in the snowiest and coldest part of Maine. lol

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The General Altimax Arctics aseem to be the right on parwith the best of the winter tires, and are cheap. Tire rack did a test on them and they performed amazing

08stang

forum member
Reaction score
just mounted up Blizzaks on the stock wheels for the first time last week after hitting some junk in the road and blowing out a tire plus bending the rim, ran about 170 a tire mounted at the local firestone. so far no complaints seem to drive well in the wet, not much in traction for accelerating but i went form a 285 out back down to a 235 and have 440hp at the wheals so it was expected.

Last edited:

NinjaKiwi84

forum member
Reaction score
I sold my modded 04 GTO for my S197. The GTO was NA, cam'd, ect and put down about 400 to the wheels and it was able to plow snow with the front bumper with all-seasons(Potenza 960AS 245/45/17). Got a few inches of snow this weekend and I took the Mustang out on the all-seasons that were on it when I bought it(Zeix912 235/55/17). The Mustang sucked big time. Not sure how much was tires VS the car itself but I think I'll be getting some dedicated snow tires this year.

BSell

forum member
Reaction score
Now you have me worried about the winterforce tires

After the vast difference between the good to go Vredesteins and the woblin gobblin Winterforces, I can't see ever paying money for such loosey-goosey tires like the Winterforces again.

The Winterforce tires were the proper size for the rims but the sidewalls were very soft/flexible and the knobbies were rather long and wiggly. I figure if you were in Canada, they would be the ticket for crazy cold and 24/7 snow. On the mostly dry roads in Germany and the not too cold weather (40s-30s) they weren't the best choice by far, especially on long straight Autobahns.

Buying a new brand of tire sucks just like buying a mattress because once they are mounted, you can't return them...

Good luck with your choice

HellsBells

620/677
Reaction score
how much is it? probaly not worth it. When is the last time you hit something that completely destroyed your tire? most objects that puncture your tire are small enough to be repaired cheap.

Its like $60 for tires that cost $600. I've decided to pass.

Captainstr8edge

Hardcore Superhero
Reaction score
After the vast difference between the good to go Vredesteins and the woblin gobblin Winterforces, I can't see ever paying money for such loosey-goosey tires like the Winterforces again.

The Winterforce tires were the proper size for the rims but the sidewalls were very soft/flexible and the knobbies were rather long and wiggly. I figure if you were in Canada, they would be the ticket for crazy cold and 24/7 snow. On the mostly dry roads in Germany and the not too cold weather (40s-30s) they weren't the best choice by far, especially on long straight Autobahns.

Buying a new brand of tire sucks just like buying a mattress because once they are mounted, you can't return them...

Good luck with your choice

Yeah, studded/knobby tires are a bad idea on pavement.

11secLX

forum member
Reaction score
I sold my modded 04 GTO for my S197. The GTO was NA, cam'd, ect and put down about 400 to the wheels and it was able to plow snow with the front bumper with all-seasons(Potenza 960AS 245/45/17). Got a few inches of snow this weekend and I took the Mustang out on the all-seasons that were on it when I bought it(Zeix912 235/55/17). The Mustang sucked big time. Not sure how much was tires VS the car itself but I think I'll be getting some dedicated snow tires this year.
Tires are everything.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
You can also lower the pressure for more traction...
4pw40m.jpg

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back