WMS Dynatech Longtube header testing.

JJ@WMS

forum member
Reaction score
**NOTE** This is tech as there will be before and after results on testing this products claims. There will also be discussion and pictures of the installation of the product as well.

This thread will serve to document the results of installing the Dynatech Longtube headers and catless midpipe.

The car is our 2011 Mustang GT 5.0 Manual with 3:73 rear gears, JLT CAI and our Custom SCT tuning. The before results were gotten with those same mods as well as gutted stock cats and the Pypes 3 inch catback supersystem.

The run number 18 in the graph below was with the car in its current configuration but in very warm 100* weather. With some more custom tuning and cooler temps like we had today the car picked up to what you see on runs 22 and 24.

Also wanted to add that these are all on 93 pump gas after a 20 minute testdrive. All runs were done at the same operating temp.

Those two runs, numbers 22 and 24 will be used for the baseline. The Dynatech longtubes are being installed today and the car will be put back on the dyno. No tune adjustments will be made for the first comparison numbers. If I feel we need to make some adjustments then I will do so and report those findings as well.

What I am trying to do with this test is to verify the claims of the longtube manufacturers/resellers. Some claim 25-30hp and as much as I would love to see that kind of gain I am very skeptical that I will. Whatever the outcome I will report my findings. I am a Dynatech and Pypes dealer and want to offer the best products and solid advice that I can to my customers thats why I test the products that I sell even if those test results fly in the face of what they claim. Its your hard earned money and you deserve unbiased results.
tip.gif

Thanks everyone.

JJ

Last edited:

Intervention

forum member
Reaction score
I think the common number i feel is 22-26RWHP. I saw 24.7RWHP(have the sheet if anyone is interested) from my SW headers and cats

Cant wait to see results

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
Interested to see the results as well. I have a buddy looking to do this same install. I'm of the opinion that the price isn't worth the gain. Anxious to see how this turns out.

jsnyng

Reaction score
JJ - Thanks for doing this comparison. Vendors like you and the others we have here make S197 the best.

Reaction score
Dumb question: Are dynatech and pypes the same entity?

SlowA$$5.0

Banned
Reaction score
I know this is a lot of trouble and you are probably doing this to sell headers, but is there any way you can dyno a 3" off road X pipe then dyno with the headers and off road X pipe? We all know that long tubes are better, but what everyone wants to know is if they offer a significant increase in hp over simply sticking with the stock shorties and going to a full 3 inch off road header back system. I'm thinking you would only pick up 10-15 hp and if we are going to spend $1000+ we want to know what the actual gains are.

brady_f

D1SC
Reaction score
I know this is a lot of trouble and you are probably doing this to sell headers, but is there any way you can dyno a 3" off road X pipe then dyno with the headers and off road X pipe? We all know that long tubes are better, but what everyone wants to know is if they offer a significant increase in hp over simply sticking with the stock shorties and going to a full 3 inch off road header back system. I'm thinking you would only pick up 10-15 hp and if we are going to spend $1000+ we want to know what the actual gains are.

Thats a great idea if it's not too much trouble.

jsnyng

Reaction score
I'd really like to see this test as well. I've already got an OR/X. If headers pick me up another 22-25 RWHP on top of my tune/CAI/OR/X combo, I'll place an order. If it's only 10 or so, it's a no-go for me.

cantdrive55

forum member
Reaction score
I don't think you'll see the 25-30 rwhp gains as claimed simply due to the fact that you're already running gutted stock cats.

JJ@WMS

forum member
Reaction score
Dumb question: Are dynatech and pypes the same entity?

No they are not. They are two totally different companies.

First off I'm not doing this test to sell headers. If I were then I would not have made this thread, I would have made another one saying "XXX Headers make 30-40hp" and I would have shown a dyno graph while being vague about how I got to those final numbers but thats not the case here. I'm giving you a tuned cars dyno results, slapping on a set of LT's and putting it right back on the dyno with no tune changes to see the gains.

Sadly I wont be able to do the test you asked for but what I can do is install a 3" OR X Pipe onto another car and give you the "after" results of doing so. We have a duplicate of our car here that is waiting for his OR pipe to show up and once it does then we will do the install and dyno so that will show you the differences between all of these combos give or take a few hp/tq. :thumb::thumb:

If I already had a 3" OR pipe here I would have done that on our car but I didnt, sorry.

Thanks,

JJ

JJ@WMS

forum member
Reaction score
I don't think you'll see the 25-30 rwhp gains as claimed simply due to the fact that you're already running gutted stock cats.

I agree but I do have previous dyno numbers when the cats were not gutted to compare them to. IIRC I only gained 6hp after I gutted the cats. I'll have to double check that info. The size of the stock pipes are what hurts.

JJ

SlowA$$5.0

Banned
Reaction score
Sadly I wont be able to do the test you asked for but what I can do is install a 3" OR X Pipe onto another car and give you the "after" results of doing so. We have a duplicate of our car here that is waiting for his OR pipe to show up and once it does then we will do the install and dyno so that will show you the differences between all of these combos give or take a few hp/tq. :thumb::thumb:

If I already had a 3" OR pipe here I would have done that on our car but I didnt, sorry.

Thanks,

JJ

Thanks bud. That's about as close as we are going to get. Be sure to post up if the car with the o/r x has a catback or not.

Reaction score
I'm with the skeptical members. I want to see gains of LT's vs. gains of an O/r xpipe. The stock headers on these cars do not seem too bad for a NA car. If the header swap is only going to net maybe 10 rwhp, i think funds can be allocated elsewhere.

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
I will venture to say 7WHP gain. I may have to eat crow. We will see.

cantdrive55

forum member
Reaction score
I agree but I do have previous dyno numbers when the cats were not gutted to compare them to. IIRC I only gained 6hp after I gutted the cats. I'll have to double check that info. The size of the stock pipes are what hurts.

JJ
:thumb2:

Anxious to see the results.

JJ@WMS

forum member
Reaction score
We finished the installation of the headers today and put it right back on the dyno. We duplicated yesterdays actions by taking a 20 minute testdrive and then strapping it down.

First pull immediatly after strapping it down with no tune changes from the 405hp/382 tune from yesterday gave us 419/384. 14hp and 2 tq with no tune changes.

I let the car sit for about 10 minutes to cool down from the roadtest and had at it once again. 421/387 So thats an honest 16hp and 7tq over a gutted stock catted car with no tune changes. (see graph below) Run conditions are also displayed.

I can honestly say that if you were to take a stock catted car and install this longtube header system with an off road x pipe and 3 inch catback that you would gain an honest 20-25hp. I see no reason to doubt that you could.

We will also be doing a before and after off road pipe comparison as well and the car we are testing already has the magnaflow 3 inch catback.

Video of the car going down the road.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2Ulxi8jQ-E

Thanks,

JJ​

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back