Would you buy this noisy blower?

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
I have a good lead on a 2.3 blower for the GF's Shelby.
The story on it is that it was bought as a take-off part from Shelby, off an eBay auction.
It was then sent to Stiegemeier to be ported along with porting the elbow.
Somehow, whether it was installed before being sent out, or the owner just knew about it, the blower was making a whirring noise when cold out, under 50 degrees.
Stiegemeier supposedly told the owner that there's a spot where one of the screws just barely touches the case on the inside and that they would machine the case there a bit to remove that noise.
Personally, I don't think that that would cause a whirring noise (see video below).

But anyway, have any of you guys heard this noise before, if so what is it, and would you buy the blower with this issue being there?

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
When a part has a story like that, pass.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
pass

we had a member that had a problem with steig porting his blower and ruined its efficiency and he had to buy a new case for it.

knowing a screw is scraping somewhere and they just wanna port it more to give clearance is not only a no, but a FUCK no

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
WTF hell no!

pass

we had a member that had a problem with steig porting his blower and ruined its efficiency and he had to buy a new case for it.

knowing a screw is scraping somewhere and they just wanna port it more to give clearance is not only a no, but a FUCK no

Whoever that member is, is certainly not alone. I've seen 2 fail-ported M112's on some Cobra's here in Vegas. Roughly $12,000 in combined damage between the 2 cars (2 different cars/owners/blowers, different occasions... I don't feel it's a coincidence).

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Ok thanks guys.
Pretty much exactly what I thought ... gonna pass on this one.

I have another lead on a stock 5.8 blower, comes with 2 pullies, stock and a 2.4 for $1500 shipped ... may go that route or just pony up the dough and just get a new VMP gen2 which is really the one we wanted

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
WTF hell no!

Whoever that member is, is certainly not alone. I've seen 2 fail-ported M112's on some Cobra's here in Vegas. Roughly $12,000 in combined damage between the 2 cars (2 different cars/owners/blowers, different occasions... I don't feel it's a coincidence).

Wasn't even a m122, it was the newer TVS with the gen2 case that makes buttloads of power and they ruined the case

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Stiegemeier supposedly told the owner that there's a spot where one of the screws just barely touches the case on the inside and that they would machine the case there a bit to remove that noise.

Hahahaha good grief. Stiegmeier is now in the running with MMR and Bama. Granatelli.

travelers

Reaction score
Wow that sound terrible and what is a screw doing in the blower ????

Not NO but Hell No....

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
I have a good lead on a 2.3 blower for the GF's Shelby.
The story on it is that it was bought as a take-off part from Shelby, off an eBay auction.
It was then sent to Stiegemeier to be ported along with porting the elbow.
Somehow, whether it was installed before being sent out, or the owner just knew about it, the blower was making a whirring noise when cold out, under 50 degrees.
Personally, I don't think that that would cause a whirring noise (see video below).

But anyway, have any of you guys heard this noise before, if so what is it, and would you buy the blower with this issue being there?

The 2.3 TVS blower from the 13/14 GT-500 does not required porting anywhere. Steigy as usual, is port crazy..and will ruin it's performance in no time. Just get the VMP gen 2 blower, then you are assured you have the real deal.

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
Even if the screw is hitting the case, I would imagine it would cause some damage to the screw. Just porting the case would only be half of the problem and cause another one apparently.

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score
i can get my hands on a 07 stock gt500 blower if you want.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Thank you but no, she already has that on her Shelby ... We want to go up to about 625-650 rwhp ... A 2.3 TVS or a VMP gen 2 blower will do that

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Thank you but no, she already has that on her Shelby ... We want to go up to about 625-650 rwhp ... A 2.3 TVS or a VMP gen 2 blower will do that

I'm going to stop by and talk with Justin tomorrow. I can put in a good word for you if you like.
:sunot:

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
I'm going to stop by and talk with Justin tomorrow. I can put in a good word for you if you like.
:sunot:

That would be really cool.
BJ should remember me, I bought my triple-pass heat exchanger from them/him
Really hoping for a smoking deal on one of their gen2 kits

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back