WTB: 03 Cobra 8 Bolt Crank

blue streak

forum member
Reaction score
MMR has blown up my engine twice within 6 months now. I need a Cobra crank so I can build it myself this time. Old combo was a 4.75L that was built with a Coyote crank. Biggest purchase mistake of my life. Time to go back to a stock stroke engine... Please PM me details if you have a crank!

blue streak

forum member
Reaction score
The crank walked and beat the back of the oil pump until it cracked. Twice.. The original shortblock I ordered was a 4.75L 11.5:1 MMR1000. It never made over 450whp, I used a Ram powergrip hd clutch and stock slave cylinder. Slave cylinder throw was checked, and dead on with Rams recommended specs. The first time the engine went down, they blamed me and said anytime you run an aftermarket clutch, you need an adjustable slave to properly set it up. I agree if it's out of spec, but it wasn't. So $1,500 later they fixed my engine. I noticed, the thrust bearing looked different from the other. I called and asked why the one that came with the engine was a 1-piece, and the one in the engine now is a 3-piece. They said that there was nothing wrong with the original design, but they are always looking to find a better design. Well there better design lasted only 2 months and 2,000 miles. That car has been sitting for 2 months. The first time the engine blew, I was sitting in traffic on a friday evening coming home from work. The second time, I was moving my car from the front of the house to the back so I could mow my yard. Now they say they have nothing to do with it, and the bad thing is, this time, It trashed the Comp SPR stage 3's and Livernois Stage 2 heads from where it lost oil pressure..

W3bb3r04

Slow 3v Member
Reaction score
The crank walked and beat the back of the oil pump until it cracked. Twice.. The original shortblock I ordered was a 4.75L 11.5:1 MMR1000. It never made over 450whp, I used a Ram powergrip hd clutch and stock slave cylinder. Slave cylinder throw was checked, and dead on with Rams recommended specs. The first time the engine went down, they blamed me and said anytime you run an aftermarket clutch, you need an adjustable slave to properly set it up. I agree if it's out of spec, but it wasn't. So $1,500 later they fixed my engine. I noticed, the thrust bearing looked different from the other. I called and asked why the one that came with the engine was a 1-piece, and the one in the engine now is a 3-piece. They said that there was nothing wrong with the original design, but they are always looking to find a better design. Well there better design lasted only 2 months and 2,000 miles. That car has been sitting for 2 months. The first time the engine blew, I was sitting in traffic on a friday evening coming home from work. The second time, I was moving my car from the front of the house to the back so I could mow my yard. Now they say they have nothing to do with it, and the bad thing is, this time, It trashed the Comp SPR stage 3's and Livernois Stage 2 heads from where it lost oil pressure..

Im sorry to hear this man. I hate when a company advertises a warranty and its only worth the paper its typed on. MMR is ruining their own name all over these forums. Ive never had an experience with them at all and probably never will. Them trying to blame a blown engine on a clutch is complete BS anyways. They will never have any of my business or anyone else I know. Their customer service alone has pushed me away, not even including the shotty quality workmanship.

blue streak

forum member
Reaction score
Wish I would have seen this before.... My 1st engine went down 8 months after in arrived at my door step.

"MMR is making big changes to the way our warranty and customer service works on all shortblocks and longblocks. Over the years we have seen everything from holes in the pistons to engines run out of oil to brand new engines sucking up debris from the previous engine failures. There are always two sides to a failure, the one you hear on the internet and the real cause! In this business we see the install shops blame the tuners and the tuners blame the engine
builders! At MMR we understand things happen in racing and installations can go bad and accidents happen. We are taking our warranty to a whole new level. Starting immediately all MMR engines purchased after July 14, 2010 will have a "No questions asked warranty" ! This means even if the the buyer runs the engine out of oil or burns a hole in the top of a piston we will cover the labor for NO CHARGE - the customer will simply be responsible for the parts he/she damaged. Our standard 1 year parts and labor warranty will still be in affect for the engine so you are completely covered regardless of the fault. No more good guy/bad guy and he said she said! Just quality and service!"

http://forums.corral.net/forums/gt-sohc/1238328-mmrs-new-engine-warranty-customer-commitment.html

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
There's alot of sucking up going on over there! It's disgusting.

What happens if you post your experiences with mmr on corral?

BTW your stock crank is pretty strong. It could be used in the build if you still have it. There are a few of us running them with otherwise forged motors. Nobody has had an issue, even with power levels in the mid 600's and 7k redlines.

cwhit23

forum member
Reaction score
Im sorry to hear this man. I hate when a company advertises a warranty and its only worth the paper its typed on. MMR is ruining their own name all over these forums. Ive never had an experience with them at all and probably never will. Them trying to blame a blown engine on a clutch is complete BS anyways. They will never have any of my business or anyone else I know. Their customer service alone has pushed me away, not even including the shotty quality workmanship.

I've never heard how a clutch can blow a motor either. I am in the process of getting a RAM and installing it. So I hope this can't be the case if if something goes wrong.
I too have read way too much negative about MMR to ever even think of using them. Good luck OP I hope you get it worked out.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back