X raying engine block?

eddieval5

forum member
Reaction score
Bought a used block a couple of months ago and tired of seeing it sit. Want to make sure its still good for a build. Anyone know the first place to look for getting it checked out? Ive already looked for cracks and imperfections but still would like to know if itll handle 500-600rwhp.

eddieval5

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply guys. Going to find a place here in Houston that can do that stuff

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score
If it's aluminum I don't think you can mag it...I believe if it is aluminum it must be pressurized and a dye fluid inside.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
If it's aluminum I don't think you can mag it...I believe if it is aluminum it must be pressurized and a dye fluid inside.

Correct. Magnaflux needs a ferrous metal. Dye penetrant would show any cracks but I'm not sure it can be done on cast material. Eddy current would also show any weak areas but again I don't think it can be done on a rough surface.

michael.konor

forum member
Reaction score
You can use Eddy Current, or Dye Penetrant testing on aluminum. For a block, I would recommend Dye Penetrant even thought you'll have to compensate for normal casting depressions that would keep more dye in place. I've seen kits for personal use available on Amazon and Google Shopping. We've used it in our aviation depots with success with aluminum alloys.

But I have to ask, do you suspect the block of having defects? If not, is it worth the expense?

BEAST

CHEROKEE NOOB HUNTER
Reaction score

Preemulsified LP wont require pressure and can be washed out with water prior to aplication of the contrast developer. Capillary action is inevitable.

I can get you all you need for lp and can show you how to use it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back