XXR 527 +20s. Need advice.

still_life127

forum member
Reaction score
Need a little advice here from some people who have messed around with aggressive offset wheels. I fucked up the tires sizes on this and im trying to figure out which direction to go. My setup is current as follows:

Rear: XXR 527 18x9.75 +20 on 255/40
Front: XXR 527 18x8.75 +35 on 235/40

Now, I know it looks a little retarded right now, but its a work in progress so try not to bust my balls too hard here, this experiment is a first for me. I'm currently running the vogtland leveling kit which is -0.8 front and -1.2 in the read. I intend to get either more aggressive lowering springs or say fuck it and go for coil over and either do some kind of modest fender flare and/or have the wheel hubs grinded down a couple mm.

My main issue is obviously the front. Tire wall is too skinny. Ive run the 255/40 and a 275/40 on other wheels before and I didn't realize the 235/40 would end up being quite noticeably skinnier... When I got them I actually though they had fucked up the order and put 235/35s on but nope... The only reason I went with that size even though the wheel could fit a wider tire and not have any poke since its +35 was to try to maintain the staggered look.

Anyway, I eventually want to run 255 in front and 275 or larger in back. But in the mean time until I get the fender work done I'm wondering - Should I Get a set of 275/40 for the rear and throw the 255/40s on the front or leave the rears alone and get a 255/45 in front... Or should I just leave it alone and throw that extra money at the coil overs for now? I really don't intend to run THAT low but I'm thinking -1.75 in front and either -1.75 or -2.00 in the rear. I just want the coil overs for the sake of adjustability and retaining some ride quality since I wont lose any spring travel. This car is daily driven, never tracked .

Take a look and tell me what you guys think my best option is -

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
Your best option? Get some wheels that fit. You don't want to go too low in the rear and have your fender cut into the tire...that's not cool.

Apart from that, go for a 27" tall tire- it will be closest to stock, so yeah 255/45/18 would be good- if you don't car too much for handling feel or any of that. 45 is a LOT of sidewall.

Go for a tire that leans towards stretched instead of bulge, bulge will just accentuate the poke.

HEMI LOL

The Feast and The Famine
Reaction score
you gotta step up that battle stance game son.

that is 19x9.5 +22 with an additional +8mm in spacer up front to clear brembos.

still_life127

forum member
Reaction score
Your best option? Get some wheels that fit.

Trust me, this thought passed through my mind a 1000 times before I made this decision. I bought these wheels knowing full well they don't fit with the intention of MAKING them work because I like them that much...

Apart from that, go for a 27" tall tire- it will be closest to stock, so yeah 255/45/18 would be good- if you don't car too much for handling feel or any of that. 45 is a LOT of sidewall.

A lot of side wall is what I don't want. Not so much because of handling as I'm not hardcore into anything other then spirited daily driving at this point in time but mainly for visual reasons with this type of setup, so maybe just putting the 255/40 in the front is the way to go.

Go for a tire that leans towards stretched instead of bulge, bulge will just accentuate the poke.

That's EXACTLY where the 255/40 sits on the back wheel right now... Just leaves me wondering where a 275/40 fits the scale of stretch to bulge.

Last edited:

mavisky

forum member
Reaction score
18's just don't really look right on these cars unless you're the world's biggest fan of sidewall. I can't wait to get rid of mine.

mavisky

forum member
Reaction score
It honestly looks like you are borrowing wheels from a much smaller car. The dark spokes only add to the look of them being smaller than they are as it blurs the lines between where the wheel and tire meet. The wheel design itself is nice, but you need the right sized tires very badly. Looks like a set of 13" Daytons on a Buick Riviera.

mfergel

forum member
Reaction score
I had looked at those rims in the past and biggest reason I didn't is because the 8.5 was really the widest that fit right and I wanted something wider.

xxr527-vi.jpg

still_life127

forum member
Reaction score
It honestly looks like you are borrowing wheels from a much smaller car. The dark spokes only add to the look of them being smaller than they are as it blurs the lines between where the wheel and tire meet. The wheel design itself is nice, but you need the right sized tires very badly. Looks like a set of 13" Daytons on a Buick Riviera.

Once I swap out the tires and lower it a little more, I think its going to make a huge difference. I personally have always prefered an 18 with a 19 being second choice, depending on the rim. I hate 20s on this car. I like a bit of sidewall. But that's just me, everyone has their opinion obviously.

I had looked at those rims in the past and biggest reason I didn't is because the 8.5 was really the widest that fit right and I wanted something wider.

I'm determined to perfect this setup one way or another. I'm just gonna try one thing at a time. I really like these wheels.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back