Yet Another Race Star Lug Nut Question?

Scott

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have searched, but have not found this exact issue!

I am fitting my Race Stars for the first time and am running into an issue. There appears to be a minor difference in the “offset” of the offset washers between the Race Stars and the McGard’s from Lug/Washer set part number 63000. The difference is not significant but enough to have the McGard washer not sit flat against the wheel with the lug nut threaded. As I tighten McGard washer and lug nut I can definitely feel it binding and can see that the washer is not sitting flat. The Race Star washer McGard lug nut can easily be turned down by hand and the washer is definitely flat against the wheel.

Both pictures illustrate the difference in the offset. The first has the McGard washer to the left and the second the Race Star washer to the left. (Not the best pictures but I think you can see the difference in offset)

Did anyone come across this issue?

It would be appreciated if someone would compare their Race Star and McGard washers and advise if they have a similar difference?

Or am I too cautious after reading all the threads on issues with the lug nuts and washers, and I should just go for it with the McGard's?

IMG_1074.jpg

IMG_1071.jpg

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
The McGards will bend quite easily. They both appear to be about the same size and offset from here. I haven't had any issue with installing the McGard lugs and washers but they still bind up once in a while when removing them. Make sure you have the wheel stud at about 6 o'clock to 7 o'clock while spinning the lug on by hand. You should be able to get it seated before needing a wrench. If it starts to bind, back it up a quarter turn and try again until it's seated.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back