Zero compression in number 7

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Looks like it got really hot. Can you get some gas out of the car and test it for octane and water content? As much as you want to blame the new parts I'm in agreement with the others and finding it difficult to believe the coils caused this.

MachRan

forum member
Reaction score
# 7

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    342.5 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
tucker-daaaamn.gif

jodadejss06gt

TEAM DELETE SHIT
Reaction score
Let me ask this dumb question....I agree with others on coils not causing it....If you don't spark(coil issue) you are still dumping fuel (same as coming up on 2-step) how could you run lean or detonate?

MachRan

forum member
Reaction score
Let me ask this dumb question....I agree with others on coils not causing it....If you don't spark(coil issue) you are still dumping fuel (same as coming up on 2-step) how could you run lean or detonate?

The car ran with the other coils. They were not bad, they were just too short. The car was not tuned with the proper spark. The only variables were the gas and the change to the correct length coils. I guess I bought a $5k tank of gas.

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
bad gas, bad injectors,bad fuel pressure. And just because the wideband shows lean, that doesn't mean it is not getting flooded with fuel, the wideband only picks up exhaust gas's after that have been ignited, so if a coil is not working, and a cylinder is getting flooded with fuel the wideband will show lean becuase that raw fuel never makes it to the wideband but the extra air from the cylinder does...which then mixes with the rest of the exhaust gas's to show lean.

I recently had coil issues from a boost a spark, if i turned it all the way up to 20volts, my coils would start throwing codes 0358 for a coil circuit fault.....but my wideband would show lean and the car would stumble. Once the BAS was turned down to 16 volts the problem went away.

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Wow.......how do the rest of the pistons look? What about the cylinder heads? I wonder what #7 looks like.

Well that certainly wasn't a coil issue. Detonation/lean issue for sure.

You stated earlier it only had 1,000 "break in" miles on it. Well, at part throttle stuff like this really won't happen. But do a 4th/5th gear pull on the freeway, for example, and this is what you get when you run too much timing for the gas used/compression of the motor. All though 14 degrees at WOT is not that much. I would run 21 to 23 degrees at 16 psi with C16 at the track. I would think pump 93 would handle 14 degrees.

MachRan

forum member
Reaction score
Wow.......how do the rest of the pistons look? What about the cylinder heads? I wonder what #7 looks like.

Well that certainly wasn't a coil issue. Detonation/lean issue for sure.

You stated earlier it only had 1,000 "break in" miles on it. Well, at part throttle stuff like this really won't happen. But do a 4th/5th gear pull on the freeway, for example, and this is what you get when you run too much timing for the gas used/compression of the motor. All though 14 degrees at WOT is not that much. I would run 21 to 23 degrees at 16 psi with C16 at the track. I would think pump 93 would handle 14 degrees.

No the motor has about 4500 miles on it. The first 1000 were break in miles. Pistons 2, 7 and 8 are hurt but no holes.
I think I probably got 87 when I paid for 93.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
No the motor has about 4500 miles on it. The first 1000 were break in miles. Pistons 2, 7 and 8 are hurt but no holes.
I think I probably got 87 when I paid for 93.

I would also go through the entire fuel system when you put it back together.

MachRan

forum member
Reaction score
Correction my mechanic now says that pic was # 7 which makes more sense.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score

Ouch. Looks like I guessed correctly.
It's also possible that you'd inadvertently filled up with 87 instead of 93 as you suggested.
Sucks to have to rebuild the engine again but hopefully you'll make it better this time round.

MachRan

forum member
Reaction score
Are the knock sensors turned off or modified in the tune?

I'm not sure. That would be a question for Jim. They locked the tuner after the car was tuned.
I do know the tune pulled timing at a certain air intake temp.

Last edited:

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Sure looks like tuning failure to me. Ford has those knock sensors for a reason and any tuner that disables them should have to replace every single engine that ends up like this. But they usually won't.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I ask because imo gas problems can happen at any time. My recent experience is with my big bore. For some reason it kept pulling spark at wot. I had commanded 28 degrees of advance and was getting around 26. The only thing that changed was two fillups at a different station. Previous to this 92 octane would support 28 degrees with my 12:1 setup.

Now that I've gone back to a high volume station I need to get back out and log. Although weather differences could account for some of the spark retard.

Turning off knock sensors was a large part of the #8 disaster. One of the first things tuners were doing was turning off the sensors because they were pulling spark advance and hurting power output. Of course Ford was initially blamed for not warrantying tuned motors.

With all of that said we have no idea of what's going on here. OP, you could of found out how the knock sensors were working with a datalog but it's too late now. Good luck with the outcome.

ArtQ

forum member
Reaction score
Let me know when you find the problem......

Last edited:
Back