2010 Auto trans. Slips from 2nd to 3rd just bought car ... uggggg

deezdrama

forum member
Reaction score
well, was just about to buy servo fix, solenoid pack, and a tubed pan but decided to do a little more research after work and on AJ1E ( source of the bore fix servos) website it had pdf instructions and read that for mustangs the bore fix requires partial trans removal, it says some have had luck just dropping the crossmember and pulling driveshaft out and lowering trans down though it stresses the motor mounts i would assume and exhaust would need to come out. Feeling pretty sh##y I didnt do more research on the auto tranys in the s197's.
Im not going to go through all that untill I got headers to slap back on it.

Just going to do the filter/ fluid change next weekend and see what happens, maybe ill be lucky and the atf in there was just low or broke down. This will hopefully buy me enough time to decide either to go for the servo bore fix and some headers/ short H pipe..... or pick up a reman trans.

Theres a shop nearby selling reman 5r55s for $1400 with core.........

What do you guys think?........From there listing.......

"Shift Rite Transmissions is offering a Professionally Rebuilt 5R55S Automatic Transmission that will work in ALL the following

2005 - 2010 4.6L 2WD FORD MUSTANG

Information about the Transmission
Parts List:
All New Gaskets, Seals Metal Clad Seals, Sealing Rings, Paper and Rubber NOTHING REUSED!
Master Rebuild Kit Including ALL CLUTCHES & STEELS, name brand such as Borg Warner or Raybestos
New Bonded Overdrive & Intermediate Servos
New Overdrive & Intermediate Servo Bore Sleeves
New Borg Warner or Raybestos Overdrive, Intermediate, and Reverse Bands
New Superior 5R55W/N/S Shift Correction Kit
New Superior K0105 Forward Front Ring Gear Hub Snap Ring
New Solenoid Pack
New High Quality Pump Bushing
New Extension Housing Bushing
New Bonded Pistons

Updates to the Transmission:

Updated Overdrive & Intermediate Servo Bore Sleeves
Updated Overdrive & Intermediate Servo Bore Sleeves, which requires special reaming tools, that re-bores worn out aluminum servo bores which is an extremely common issue as early as 50k miles! This could negatively affects shift timing and servo/band apply pressure, and could cause false pressure control solenoid codes, and also cause band failure and ratio codes. This problem is the NUMBER ONE most overlooked issue by other rebuilders. WE REBORE EVERY BUILD EVERY TIME, we do not CHECK IF OK, WE REDO the correct way!

Updated Superior K0105 Forward Front Ring Gear Hub Snap Ring
Superior Super Tuff Heavy Duty Snap Ring, which helps prevent common failure of the planetary gear sets and forward clutch drum, which is a very common issue with the OEM (FORD) Snap Ring.

Updated Superior Shift Correction Kit
Due to the factory design of no cooler flow cold, it is extremely temperamental to fill and get a correct level, as well as running extremely hot compared to others without flow control systems. Superior finally broke thru with a patent pending Sure-Cool Full Time Cooler Flow Valve along with enhanced Lube system that nearly triples the Flow thru the cooler and parts, especially the O.D. Planetary. These Flow Control Upgrades virtually eliminate front Planetary Burn-up due to lack of Poor/ No lube. This new system also furnishes a built in cooler bypass system that if the unit is extremely cold (fluid starts to gel) or in the event the cooler is blocked / restricted, flow to the parts still occurs - protecting your transmission investment. Also includes Superior K060 "No Stick" Line Pressure Relief Valve Kit. New Lock-up upgrade system that allows an On-Off Type Apply that is proof the lock up apply does not have to be firm and harsh to be fixed. 3-4 Drum Piston return springs replace the often found fatigued originals, due to band and drum burn up. Kit also addresses several TCC error & shift solenoid error codes as well as P0740. Keeps Solenoid Blocks, Parts and Components Cooler and lubricated with these new system Upgrades and Superior Quality "Real Steel" Components backed with solid TransLab Engineered improvements from Superior Transmission Parts, Inc.

Warranty:
This transmission comes with a 1 Year 36,000 Mile Warranty with the purchase of a new torque converter. We offer an extended Warranty 2 Year 50,000 Mile Warranty, or a 3 Year 100,000 Mile Warranty for an additional charge."

cfr865

Reaction score
I would never use TCI for a high hp tranny. Had a Level 10 Bulletproof tranny, but like it was said, they do a lot of the things to improve these units but don't use the good bands. That tranny lasted about two years of abuse before it started slipping. I have since rebuilt the Level 10 tranny locally using the HD bands. The place that did it guaranteed it for 36K miles with my spirited street/strip driving. It's been holding strong.

I would look at a good transmission shop that work on race cars or trucks before buying one built online. The problem with these things is you are limited in putting in bigger stronger parts. No matter how good you build it it is only going to be so strong. To me buying a stock re-manufactured one will just lead back to the same issues eventually.
I have the TCI Super Street Fighter its going to need rebuilding.
Where do you get the HD bands ?

Turbo302

Reaction score
Yours has low enough miles I wouldn’t think your Servo bores are that wiped out yet. I just rebuilt a few months back a 5r55 in a 2009 GT.

Had symptoms that started like yours and she drove for another year with the quirks until it started flaring so bad and slamming into gear that she had to address it.

I did all the updates reaming the servo pin bores and installing bronze sleeves but the pin bores were actually in great shape. I was expecting the worst but this one didn’t have hardly any wear. It had 102k on it so not a ton, and most internal components were pretty decent. I replaced a planet since the bushings were a bit tore up but that wasn’t causing the shift issues.

I’m pretty confident you are dealing with the early signs of solenoid issues and if you get it fixed sooner than later I don’t think you will need a full rebuild.

deezdrama

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Maybe ill go ahead and buy a remanufactured solenoid pack to slap in there when i change the filter

Back