Automatic transmission problem?

Doug M

Fast Cars & Freedom
Reaction score
^^Get it serviced now, if you have not already!!! Might have saved mine if I would have done it early..j.m.o.

Chiron

forum member
Reaction score
Okay, what exactly does your definition of "service" entail? Flush the fluid, change the filter? Or is it more involved than that?

Doug M

Fast Cars & Freedom
Reaction score
^^^Yes exactly since it is a sealed unit, it is hard to keep up with the fluid level..

V8Demon

Reaction score
I flushed mine and changed the filter @ 12,000 miles. I shall do so again # 24,000.

^^^Yes exactly since it is a sealed unit, it is hard to keep up with the fluid level..

JDM catch can/Pan with dipstick. Problem solved.

CandyRedGT

forum member
Reaction score
I have personally lost 3 5R55S transmissions in 10,000 miles:
  • 1 was due to the dealership not using the proper alignment tool on the torque converter drive plate. Wiped out the trans pump and ended up destroying the entire transmission in less than 30 miles.
  • 2 were due to a very well known tuner that in my opinion doesn't know how to tune the 5R55S transmissions. Both transmissions had intermediate servo failures as a result of the line pressure/shift firmness being increased too high.
There's more to tuning these transmissions than just raising pressures.
Do you m ind if i ask who tuned your car..that fried the trans??? You can pm me the info if you don't want it public. I want to know who to stay away from with my trans!! Thanks!!

horseplay

forum member
Reaction score
I just had my trans rebuilt right around 60k, never had a trans flush, had about 30 passes on it, 20 being nitrous passes. I expected some harsh wear on all the components, my friend is a shop foreman at Ford said it was one of the cleanest ones his guys had ever rebuilt.

I agree the tuner should know the trans. Mine was tuned by Doug of the original Bama chips, not the mail order kings that the name has become. I had a Diablo tuner at the time, trans always shifted good. Recently I went with an SCT and had the car retuned by Bob Kurgan, what a HUGE difference!

Mikes_BLK_GT

Mid-Life Crisis
Reaction score
Not sure if ti makes a difference but I'm going with Royal Purple synthetic Max ATF when I get mine serviced. Also with any luck at all will installing my JDM catch can over the weekend so the fluid doesn't end up all over the street. Every little bit helps and I dont want to buy a new trans maybe a 3000 stall TC but not a trans :)

Mikes_BLK_GT

Mid-Life Crisis
Reaction score
I just had my trans rebuilt right around 60k, never had a trans flush, had about 30 passes on it, 20 being nitrous passes. I expected some harsh wear on all the components, my friend is a shop foreman at Ford said it was one of the cleanest ones his guys had ever rebuilt.

I agree the tuner should know the trans. Mine was tuned by Doug of the original Bama chips, not the mail order kings that the name has become. I had a Diablo tuner at the time, trans always shifted good. Recently I went with an SCT and had the car retuned by Bob Kurgan, what a HUGE difference!

I'm happier with the way mine shifts now with the SC than when I was NA. I am really happy with JDM's tune the shifts are still firm but not harsh at all.

Chiron

forum member
Reaction score
Took my car in to a local transmission shop today. They pulled the pan off and my bands and my sprag gear were both worn down, leaving some metal in the pan. They advised a complete rebuild and quoted me a pretty awesome price; $1,400 for parts, labor, and a higher stall converter. With that in mind, what's a good stall for a street car that will shortly see some mild track use? I'm thinking between 2800-3000?

erat

forum member
Reaction score
Any of you were told your bands were pinned in backwards?

I lost 2nd to 3rd at about 52,000 miles with a broken band and bad solenoids. I was told the tranny was the same part as the ones used in the small jags and town cars and should be splined instead of banded for the horsepower i was running.

He thought it failed because it was assembled with the band pinned in backwards from what they should be (I understand what he is telling me, but I am not a tranny guy). I had it rebuilt ($3,400!) with it pinned what he says is the correct way and asked me to torture it and see what happens. I have gladly been doing so for the last 1,500 miles. Still working fine, so far.

Back