Best tire for road & track

Wlkn Tal

forum member
Reaction score
I"m sure I'm going to get the "use the search button" comments, but trust me I have, but after 3 searches and going through 5 pages each search, I had enough.

I'm a novice at track events, I've only been to the track (1/4) mile twice and have yet to see a road course, however I'm looking to change that with the proper set of tires. I will probably do 1 event each a year, unless I get bitten...SO

What tire gives be the best of both worlds on 18x9's and 18x10's. I was leaning towards nitto 555's possible 305 is the rear and 255 in the front.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Toyo R888s have a very good reputation

Tay

forum member
Reaction score
Is this your daily driver? If it is, I would go with the Michelin Pilot Super Sport.

If not, you have many options, especially in 18". Bridgestone RE-11, Dunlop Star Spec, Yokohama Advan AD08, just to name a good few.

I would also suggest a 275, or 285 max, in the rear on the 10". Having that big of a difference between tire width will cause the car to understeer. Especially if you plan on taking the car to the road course.

Wlkn Tal

forum member
Reaction score
Car is not a daily driver and doesn't see the rain, I currently have 20's that I use for shows and cruising around town. these would be for road course or 1/4 tracks.

How big can I go in the front on the 9's FYI I going to go with the American Muscle 2011 GT500 rims. ONly reason for going so wide in the rear is for good tracsion in the 1/4 mile

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
How big can I go in the front on the 9's FYI I going to go with the American Muscle 2011 GT500 rims. ONly reason for going so wide in the rear is for good tracsion in the 1/4 mile
aren't those 9.5" rims?

285/40/18s fit on 9.5s (stock GT500 rear)

Tay

forum member
Reaction score
Car is not a daily driver and doesn't see the rain, I currently have 20's that I use for shows and cruising around town. these would be for road course or 1/4 tracks.

I would definitely try one of the three tires I mentioned. My first choice would actually be the Hankook RS3. It's one of the best tires out there. I'll be getting those tires for my car.

A 285 tire should be plenty of grip with a sticky tire. If you go too wide, like the 305, it will bubble out and have too much sidewall flex when cornering on the road course. A 285/35 or 285/40 should be enough for drag racing.

Wlkn Tal

forum member
Reaction score
I would definitely try one of the three tires I mentioned. My first choice would actually be the Hankook RS3. It's one of the best tires out there. I'll be getting those tires for my car.

A 285 tire should be plenty of grip with a sticky tire. If you go too wide, like the 305, it will bubble out and have too much sidewall flex when cornering on the road course. A 285/35 or 285/40 should be enough for drag racing.

How about the front 255?

Tay

forum member
Reaction score
255 is a great for a 9". I wouldn't go bigger than a 265.

Did you already get your wheels? I would actually run 18x10's in the front and do 275's or 285s all the way around. Your car will handle even better and you can easily rotate tires. That's what all the Ford Racing road race Mustangs run.

frank s

at Play
Reaction score
My coupe is on FRPP "P" springs, GT500 wheels - 18x9.5 - with 285-40s all around. No interference problems at all. I wouldn't hesitate to use 10-inch rims in the same circumstances.

Tay

forum member
Reaction score
I agree with frank s. Check the 18 inch wheel thread a few down from this one. I just checked and there are a few guys running 10's all the way around. If you're worried, just do what frank s is doing and do 9.5's all around.

Kbreeze

forum member
Reaction score
255 is a great for a 9". I wouldn't go bigger than a 265.

Did you already get your wheels? I would actually run 18x10's in the front and do 275's or 285s all the way around. Your car will handle even better and you can easily rotate tires. That's what all the Ford Racing road race Mustangs run.

Yeah that's the route I went. I'll be installing 18x10 Forgestars with 285/40 Conti DW's on all four corners tomorrow. I have about medium lowering (prokit) Hopefully I won't have any rubbing up front, but from all I've heard it will be fine. This will also be my DD setup for the record.

Wlkn Tal

forum member
Reaction score
The rims STKjock posted are growing on me, wasn;t sure how they would look on my vista blue. I going to try to find locally since shipping is a killer. The rims I posted above are only 9's, so I'm looking at 9.5s, 10's in the front seem to much. I also like the Toyo's he posted, especiall since that is what I have on my 20's, diffrent tread /tire same brand. Some others brands that you guys posted are a little pricey. These will do for a beginner. Keep the tid bits coming though, I have time and can be persuaded. :naughty1:

Kbreeze

forum member
Reaction score
The rims STKjock posted are growing on me, wasn;t sure how they would look on my vista blue. I going to try to find locally since shipping is a killer. The rims I posted above are only 9's, so I'm looking at 9.5s, 10's in the front seem to much. I also like the Toyo's he posted, especiall since that is what I have on my 20's, diffrent tread /tire same brand. Some others brands that you guys posted are a little pricey. These will do for a beginner. Keep the tid bits coming though, I have time and can be persuaded. :naughty1:

Those wheels stk posted are a good option. Plug and play OEM and a very high quality wheel from what I have heard...I think they might even be forged? I've seen them first hand a couple times on a 2011 and 2012, and they look good. I think they would look great on your car. The only fault I find with them personally, not that it's actually a "fault" but I prefer concave wheels over flat faced. If you don't mind flat faced TSW is another great option and for less money.

Oh and regarding the front's 10's aren't too much. You have to reminder there is a lot of weight on the front of this car. As long as it fits why not go with a wider wheel tire up there. As someone else pointed out you can rotate the tires too if same size as the rears. Only downside really is that some tires may tramline more with the wider fronts.

ct07gt

forum member
Reaction score
I have 275/35/18 front and rear, i don't notice any issues with tramline or bump steer. You will be more limited in tire selection by going with 19" wheels instead of 18". The new Goodyear G:2 tire seems to be decent and is made for those wheels. If you get 18" wheels, you can look at the Nitto NT-01, which is more of a track tire, but you can probably get a year out of them if you aren't using them for a daily driver. The Toyo R888 is known for overheating for track work on mustangs. For more street biased tires, look at the Michelin Pilot Super Sports, the Hankook RS-3, Bridgestone RE-11, Falken Azenis RT-615K, Nitto NT-05, I like my Dunlops as well, but 275/35/18 is the biggest size they make.

fhlh

Grabber? Don't Know Her!
Reaction score
18X10 Roush's work all-around no problem... would look great against your blue, IMHO.

Just take a gander at ct07gt's car... look. there it is!

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back