Cams

Tortuga

[[princess]]
Reaction score
I was thinking about getting cams. Which of u have cams and what stages? I was thinking about stage 5. Any1 got sound clips/videos of their stangie with the cams???

:clap:

Grabber07'

The flying cheeto
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Sounds great. What do Cams actually add as far as HP and TQ on a naturally aspirated car...lets say Comp stage3 cams?

Larry_H

Custom Motors Built
Reaction score
For an N/A motor, cams don't add much. I think about 25 HP. Not a great gain for the high cost. For a FI motor, you will see more of a gain and then if you also add better flowing heads, the gain will be more substantial.

If the only mod you are thinking about is cams, you'd be better off buying UD pulleys and tuning more aggressively.

DirtyDogOfTheDesert

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
On a FI motor the blower controls the amount of air/fuel entering the engine. That's why we are making so much power with boost, and stock cams. Cams will do more for your N/A than you F/I motor all other things being equal.
I know someone personally that got one of the earliest sets of BBR's stage 2 regrinds, and if I recall correctly, his car made something like 40-50 rwhp more, N/A. I consider that a pretty good gain.

When he reads this maybe he'll chime in with more details.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
On a FI motor the blower controls the amount of air/fuel entering the engine. That's why we are making so much power with boost, and stock cams. Cams will do more for your N/A than you F/I motor all other things being equal.
I know someone personally that got one of the earliest sets of BBR's stage 2 regrinds, and if I recall correctly, his car made something like 40-50 rwhp more, N/A. I consider that a pretty good gain.

When he reads this maybe he'll chime in with more details.

that is not true at all. cams will see larger increases with FI then they will with N/A. its been dyno proven over and over again and not just on these cars. Blowers do not control any air/fuel mixtures nor do they control how much fuel is in the combustion chamber. They just compress air. how much is based on engine RPM.

SC boss

watch this!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Man I gotta say those cams sound AWESOME!! How would you say those would compare to the comp stage 2 cams?

DirtyDogOfTheDesert

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
When a blower spins at a given RPM you get what you get period (speaking of CFM) Boost pressure will be more or less depending on other mods, like headers, TB's etc... including cams. Assuming the tune is correct fuel is added accordingly, that is what I refer to when said air/fuel. I'm fairly well versed on what works and what doesn't, and what compresses air.

I am not debating that cams are also a worth while mod on a F/I motor, what I am saying is that they ARE also worth while on a N/A motor when the correct grind is choosen for the app.

I can't comment on any of comp cams because I have never been in or around a car that has them. Despite all the internet slander that has been thrown BBR's way, I can say their stage 2 regrinds work, and sound awesome. My personal dealings with BBR, although limited, has been very positive.

Shawn...........where are you? Throws out some numbers N/A, and now with turbo, specifically compared to Gerry's turbo's non-cammed setup.

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I think you all are missing that Morgan wants to use the cams on a built motor and nitrous. We just need to convince her to get a blower too!

travelers

Reaction score
It seems that some people that only want cams for the sound of the lumpy idle. Others want the serious performance that upgraded cams offer.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
there are various members on another forum that have had all of the comp cam stages (1-4) and BBR cams to boot. Most were N/A, and most got aproximately 25whp. The cost of the cams plus install per HP is tremendous vs other mods that can give you the same or more power for less money.

Anyway you look at it however, a FI car with cams will make more power from cams alone than a N/A car will

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If your going to build an engine and port or put ported heads in you might as well do the cams at that time as well. Other wise, it is very expensive for the gains you get.

Grabber07'

The flying cheeto
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Isnt "very expensive" a subjective statement hehe...just messin..it is quite expensive

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Isnt "very expensive" a subjective statement hehe...just messin..it is quite expensive

LOL yes it is. It also helps when your deployed for 15 months, and only really have the oppertunity to spend about $100 a month, mostly on protein mix for lifting weights. Gives you all kinds of extra money for things like heads and engines.

Grabber07'

The flying cheeto
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
LOL yes it is. It also helps when your deployed for 15 months, and only really have the oppertunity to spend about $100 a month, mostly on protein mix for lifting weights. Gives you all kinds of extra money for things like heads and engines.

So how do I get deployed again? :clap:

Herknav

Devil's Advocate
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I reccomend the commissioning route... after a while, the pay starts to add up, and then when you deploy, it *really* adds up...

of course, mo money, mo problems...

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I reccomend the commissioning route... after a while, the pay starts to add up, and then when you deploy, it *really* adds up...

of course, mo money, mo problems...

+1 Better pay is always good.

Grabber07'

The flying cheeto
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have a college degree and would most likely go to OCS...dads a retired Lt Col. So ive lived the army brat life hehe. I have a girlfriend of 2 years that has a really very decent job, so moving isnt really an option and a way of life in the military. But yes Ive thought about joining...sorry this was taken off topic.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back