Clicking at Rear of Car After 4.10 Install

zachcrosen

forum member
Reaction score
I posted this on another forum and have not gotten much of anything. I got my car back after installing a set of 4.10 gears and I now have a faint clicking sound coming from the rear end of the car. I can only notice it around 20+/- MPH or below. I can only hear it with the windows roller up and the stereo off and under decel. I took it back to the guy who installed them and he thought he had heard this sound when he test drove it right after the install but it wasnt all the time so he thought it was a rock or something in the tire. He heard it this time so we jacked the car up, turned off TC, pulled it out of gear and unlocked the brakes. He rotated the tires numerous times in both directions and cat reproduce it. He installed 4.10s in my '08 GT and numerous other mustangs so he has experence doing these!

Has anyone else had similar noise from their rear end after a gear install?

TIA,
Zach

QWKSNKE

forum member
Reaction score
Bump for Zach,
Anybody else heard of this happening in the new cars? I am the installer of this setup and have never heard anything like this before. I don't know that I would call it a 'click' but it is a noise none the less. I went to Zach's house earlier this week and checked everything I knew to check.

stang1971

forum member
Reaction score
my car was perfect after my 4.10 install. its prolly something really simple tho. what about putting the car on stands and bring it up to 20 mph and see if it can be heard?

QWKSNKE

forum member
Reaction score
LOL. We did that already. I crawled underneath the car while the tires were turning. No noise. Tried it in forward and reverse.

Yeah since it such a low sounding noise that is only notice at very low speeds, it has to be something simple. I have considered rotating the driveshaft to see what that does

QWKSNKE

forum member
Reaction score
Stock limited slip? Could the clearance between the different gears be incorrect?

No. If they were, it would be screaming like a truck with huge tires and be constant at all speeds.

This sound is very light and not constant. Imagine a sound like the driveshaft rubbing a piece of cardboard but only every 6th rotation of the shaft.
As matter of fact you can only hear it with the window completely closed, radio off.. if they are cracked or rolled down you cannot hear it. You cannot hear it outside the car.

I have rotated the driveshaft by hand, the tires by hand, etc trying to feel an irregularity somewhere and do not. Everything is smooth as butter.

09 Ricky

forum member
Reaction score
I had a car do this to me after the dealer replaced my rear end for the gear whine tsb on my 2005, they didnt have the clutch pack set up correctly and it was allowing the ring gear to slide back and forth(side to side) ever so slightly making a clicking noise on decel from 10 mph down, drove me mad....took them three differnt attemps to fix it :wtf: But If your doing a ring and pinion only, there should be no need to mess with the clutch packs unless your upgrading them......just a thought. I have also seen some car's make this type of sound if the back lash is set to tight and it will bind the gears at low speeds/turning.

09 Ricky

forum member
Reaction score
Are you sure?
Thats was their conclusion, how it got messed up I don't know, until this happened to me I have never seen anything like it. The carrier was completly tight, and if you watched really closely my ring gear moved side to side, I thought they installed a warpted ring gear, and If Im not mistaken they had my pinion gear shimmed in correctly which could of caused it to........I havent been back to that dealer since. It was a messed up ordeal that left me with out my ride for a solid month. They could have also had the wrong carrier bearings installed as well.....who knows.

Last edited:

QWKSNKE

forum member
Reaction score
I had a car do this to me after the dealer replaced my rear end for the gear whine tsb on my 2005, they didnt have the clutch pack set up correctly and it was allowing the ring gear to slide back and forth(side to side) ever so slightly making a clicking noise on decel from 10 mph down, drove me mad....took them three differnt attemps to fix it :wtf: But If your doing a ring and pinion only, there should be no need to mess with the clutch packs unless your upgrading them......just a thought. I have also seen some car's make this type of sound if the back lash is set to tight and it will bind the gears at low speeds/turning.

I think you mean spider gear, not ring gear. There is no way that a clutch pack incorrectly shimmed will allow the ring gear to move. If the ring gear is moving from side to side, it and the pinion will be shot in just a few miles and it is because of improper carrier bearing shims

fordracing19

Reaction score
I think you mean spider gear, not ring gear. There is no way that a clutch pack incorrectly shimmed will allow the ring gear to move. If the ring gear is moving from side to side, it and the pinion will be shot in just a few miles and it is because of improper carrier bearing shims
Roger that

09 Ricky

forum member
Reaction score
My spider gears moved around side to side(sorry thats what I meant, thanks for the correction), but you are correct I think they had the wrong carrier bearings/shimmed inccorectly in it because my ring gear move side to side as well. They couldn't get the set up correct and eventually I got a entire rear end assembly straight off the assembly line. Every thing was loose....

Last edited:

zachcrosen

forum member
Reaction score
I just saw that you had posted here Lee. Glad you are getting more responses than I was! The car is still making the noise but I have started ignoring it and leaving the stereo turned on. I check every once in a while to see if I can still hear it.

GI Joe

Reaction score
What kind and grade of diff fluid did you put back in?

QWKSNKE

forum member
Reaction score
Dave, he is running Royal Purple 75w90 I think (can't remember, I know it is RP 75wX)

SirKnightTG

forum member
Reaction score

Thats was their conclusion, how it got messed up I don't know, until this happened to me I have never seen anything like it. The carrier was completly tight, and if you watched really closely my ring gear moved side to side, I thought they installed a warpted ring gear, and If Im not mistaken they had my pinion gear shimmed in correctly which could of caused it to........I havent been back to that dealer since. It was a messed up ordeal that left me with out my ride for a solid month. They could have also had the wrong carrier bearings installed as well.....who knows.

My spider gears moved around side to side(sorry thats what I meant, thanks for the correction), but you are correct I think they had the wrong carrier bearings/shimmed inccorectly in it because my ring gear move side to side as well. They couldn't get the set up correct and eventually I got a entire rear end assembly straight off the assembly line. Every thing was loose....

This makes me wonder if my clunking from the rear when the trans downshifts from 3rd to 2nd (5r55s auto) is something similar to this? I had my tunes updated which helps reduce the clunking by a lot, but it's still there sometimes. Makes me think maybe something is a little bit off in the rear. It typically gets worse as things get hotter.

But I'll be swapping to 4.10s in the coming months so maybe if something is wrong it'll show up.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back