Complete antenna delete

dustindu4

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be getting striped painted this year and was thinking of completely removing the antenna mount and mast. Patch the hole and paint it over.

Has anybody done this? Did you use one of those antennas that stick to inside the back window?

SherrodMustang

forum member
Reaction score
Never done it to a mustang, but I have in the past deleted the antenna. I used a dakota digital antenna that mounts in the front windshield. Not sure if they sale it as it has been a few years back.

Hope that helps some.

bullittrevor

forum member
Reaction score
Never really though about it but now that you mention I might try to. I took my antenna off the first week I had the car and never put it back on. Ipod ftw.

dustindu4

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yes that's pretty much what I was looking to use. Did the reception come in good?

BDV1973

forum member
Reaction score
I saw this car @ the Mustang 45th in Birmingham. Had the door handles shaved and the antenna deleted

DSC07452.jpg

SherrodMustang

forum member
Reaction score
Door handles are very cool shaved, I had a Ranger mini truck that I shaved the handles, antenna, third brake light, tailgate handle, emblems, etc....

To be honest the doors were more of a pain in the ass to keep working. Always something with them that would not work. This has been about 15 years ago or so, I would hope things might have got better with the door poppers.

Last edited:

Ingwe

Sun, Sea, Sand and Camels
Reaction score
Planning on doing it to mine at some point. All pretty easy to remove the antenna and cover over the hole. You'll need a new harness that attaches to the windscreen just behind the rearview mirror if you want to keep radio functionality and not just use your ipod. Don't have a part number yet but i'll post up when i've got a bit more info.

SherrodMustang

forum member
Reaction score
Also you had to think what if the battery dies, then no power to the doors to pop them open. They had a kit that used a small 9 volt battery as backup if the car battery dies. But like I said I had nothing but problems from it, but very cool looking. Everybody will be asking how do you get in your car without door handles. LOL..

The antenna would not be a problem, I run with no antenna now and the radio works ok for strong stations locally. Simple metal cover welded in and a little body work, primed and painted and some kinda windshield antenna and good to go.

Last edited:

08gt4u

forum member
Reaction score
there was a thread here a while back of someone that did it.he just wrap the antenna cable inside the fender and tight it iniside.he said he had no problem with reception except when inside a parking garage.
just so you know my antenna broke a while back and i never replaced it and i dont have any problem listening to the radio.
if you look in my sig i dont have an antenna.

dustindu4

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I thought about shaving the door handles but I was real worried about what happens when the car loses battery, etc. More importantly I pull my battery out of the car for the winter (to trickle charge), so I would have no way to get back in the car. The one time I would have problems with it I would regret it.

dustindu4

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Has anybody painted their side mirrors too? How does that come out with the weird texture that's on the plastic?

My car's redfire. Basically I plan to put roush 1/4 side louvers, repaint the whole front of the car (hood paint is peeling off and front bumper looks like shit), delete the antenna, maybe paint the side mirrors, the lay down either solid metallic black stripes or metallic black stripes that are ghosted underneath the redfire to give it more of a custom/cool look to it. Ghosting is easy, you just mix some redfire in with the black.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back