Crank Pulley Failure 05 4.0

amustangrocks

forum member
Reaction score
this happened to me a while back. i noticed thew rubber ring on the frt of the crank pulley looked a little tattered one day and sure enough, it wasnt too long after that the pulley came apart. i got lucky as i cought it when it happened and was able to get the car home. would have been a bummer to get stranded.

i`m sure running it real hard didnt help, but a guy at fords told me it was real common on the 4.0`s. so you guys with 05`s, keep as eye on that pulley. the oem replacement had rubber across the entire face, and the bolt holes for a puller is set up better, as anyone who has replaced this knows it can be the hardest easy job to do. :omfg:

most pullers wont reach deep enough to hit the crank, and the small outside puller bolts are set deep too where most puller kit bolts arent long enough and they are metric. i used a large 3 jaw puller to get the busted one off. if you back the crank bolt out a 1/2" at a time, removing the puller a couple times, works ok.

i have since gone to a under drive pulley. didnt notice any big changes, but i`ll take the small ones. there are no adverse effects with the charging, steering, ac, coolant temp ect. i was wondering cause it gets over 100 degrees here.

Last edited:

Ampire

3 valve
Reaction score
Its lucky it broke that way as you couldn't suffer any damage to the crank snout

amustangrocks

forum member
Reaction score
Its lucky it broke that way as you couldn't suffer any damage to the crank snout
ya, the center of the pulley is pretty tough. the rubber joint, my guess is water turning to rust works its way in between till the rubber gives out.(the wot runs speeded up the process)

the bad part was as the belt pulley started moving out of alignment, it frayed the outside rib on the belt, and that little pc flying around beat a hole in my hood blanket before i caught it, dang it,lol.....

the new replacement is made much better. anyone with a 05 and the oem pulley, keep a eye on that rubber ring

kevinatfms

EX-ford tech(6 years)
Reaction score
it has been updated numerous times to alleviate the problem this was back before 05 on the 02+ explorers w/ the 4.0 as they all have the same harmonic balancer.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back