Data log question about how to detect knock

Yoggie_Bear

Reaction score
When I use my SCT to data log some runs with and without the Nitrous I look at the Knock noise 1 and Knock noise 2 and nothing else when looking for knock. What do you guys log and look at to help detect Knock? I was told by a mustang shop that the doing the 1-8 thing was not the correct way to look at it.

Cali HP Addict

forum member
Reaction score
Watch your knock noise 1&2 like you are doing. Look at the file in excel and compare the timing (spark) -vs- noise while under full load. If the car pulls timing at an excessive value on the knock table you should see it. Be aware that the car will also pull timing as the AIT goes up so you should datalog that as well.

DirtyDogOfTheDesert

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You may also detect knock which is not truely detonation. Headers, for example are one of many things that can make the knock sensors pick up noise. True detonation can also be seen on your HP/TQ graphs. True detonation will produce sketchy lines on the graph.

As Cali said, AIT is one of many things that will cause the PCM to pull timing. One thing worth doing is limiting the amount of timing pulled in the knock tables.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back