Which tuner and device. Questions 2011+

UpAllNight91

Reaction score
2013 Mustang gt. N/A car with normal mods, long tunes, cold air and such.
Bought it with a SCT X4 hand held that that has can tunes which does ok.
Bought another email type tune that uses HPT and that has been nothing but issues. Several revising tunes and it seems to go in circles. From P0300 codes being kicked off, short term trims going static at steady cruise, and idle fuel trims either favoring AC on or AC off but cant seem to get it to be happy with both. I put the SCT tune back in and alls well so I know its not a car issue. Anyway. From this experience I have a better understanding what I'm looking for and hoping someone here can point the way. I'm looking for a tuner that can provide a good tune and get things right on a N/A through emailed data logs. And a device that will allow me to later on be able to change things on my own on top of the tuners tune. Things like MPH, fan temp on and off, and simple stuff like that.
Any suggested?

And even better, is it possible that such tuner could just use my current SCT X4 as the device, saving me from buying another device. That would be a win for sure.

Thanks in advance!

1 Alibi 2

If not today, when ??????
Reaction score
Welcome to the s197 forum.
I know of NO tuner that will sell you a tune & allow YOU to make adjustments to it.
If you are looking for tuning software, that is available..

UpAllNight91

Reaction score
Thanks man!
Oh thats a bummer. I was thinking the diablosport would at least. Seeing how it does have all that stuff in the can tune available. I have also heard some people can make changes to their custom tune if its a HPT and the tune is not locked or encoded. Thats kinda what I'm looking for.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
VMP Performance has great tunes and the specialize in Fords. I'm sure they can datalog with you but you will be hard pressed to beat their pre written tunes. And yes, they can use your SCT device.

Justin is so good, once I had a surging at idle issue with my 09 supercharged Bullitt and he emailed me an adjusted tune that fixed the issue without even datalogging it. When I got my 2014 GT I got a tune from him and ran it for 5 years without ever having to touch it. Currently running a tune in my F150 and honestly I forget it's tuned sometimes. Runs like stock, but way better.

Midlife Crises

Reaction score
I have run tunes from Brenspeed and Lito. Using SCT X3 and later the SCT X4. Brenspeed and Lito both will leave simple adjustments open and available for the customer to play with. Tire size, revs, gears, fan, rev limit, idle speed, some spark tables and WO fuel are accessible with one tuning guru or the other. I suspect other tuners may allow access to specific points of their custom tune files as well.

UpAllNight91

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I'm reading up and checking the sites of these suggestions.
Does anyone know if a RTD purchased from someone like Lund can be used by another tuner or would a new RTD need to be purchased?

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
No handheld canned tune will adjust for longtubes, requires tune.
P300 code - did you do a crank relearn?
Custom tunes can be left unlocked with the X4 so you can make tire/gear ratio changes, and a few other thing like WOT timing (+/- 4*). When loading or saving the tune to email to customers, must select "program with changes" to allow for adjustments.

For an NA coyote that is mostly stock, SCT has a patch available in the PRP software. They did the work already. Just needs the cold air and long tube changes added to it.

Yes, you can use your current X4 and get those changes done in a custom tune, but it will disable the built in canned tunes.

Where are you located?

UpAllNight91

Reaction score
Hello Juice. Located near Tampa fl. The p0300 code only pops up when I use the tune I recently purchased with a RTD. When I go back to the canned SCT tune (Which I'm currently running so I can drive the car normally) The P0300 does not come up. I asked the tuner if a crank relearn would clear up the P0300 I'm getting on his tune and his response was it must be the car, injectors, plugs or such and that you only need to do a crank relearn if you get P0315. I know the car is good because it runs good with the SCT tune, no DTC or any of the other issues I'm getting this the tune on the RTD.
When you mention the SCT cant do long tubes without a custom tune, but the can tunes on this SCT does offer selections for long tubes. It is a slightly older X4 that hasnt been updated to remove the rear o2 term off and stuff. I do know if I update it, it will remove all exhaust options.

UpAllNight91

Reaction score
For the guy in the future searching this up... The RTD tuner, I believe I was handed to a different calibrator and this one asked me to do a crank relearn today. I did the crank relearn as directed, with the RTD custom tune loaded. It said it learned successfully but (like many) I then had a permanent P3015 code that even though it didnt kick a light it was always there when checking DTC's and no amount of deleting would get rid of it. Did some searching myself and found the cure for that in the forums. All I did was flash the stock tune back in and that code was gone for good. didnt even have to start the car (although I read some had to also do the relearn with the stock tune loaded in the car to get rid of it, but I didnt). I was able to flash back in the custom tune and that has fixed the p0300 so far with about 45 minutes on the clock. So now I'm back to using the first tune before revisions where made and it seems to be ok now except for some fuel trims at light throttle and AC on getting a little far out but that should be easy to revise and get right (I hope). Anyway thanks and will update if anything worthy comes up.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back