DTC P0340 & Replacement Alternator

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
This thread is not about DTC P0340 and the related TSB. By now this is old news. Rather here's my question: Is the replacement alternator improved in any way to prevent future failures or is it the same alternator that was originally installed?

B

Black Heart

Not sure if it's any different but I've had mine for 5k now with no problems.

dustindu4

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
my replacement did it too, that's why I went aftermarket!!!

MikeVistaBlue06

Inventor: Asshole Points
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
my replacement did it too, that's why I went aftermarket!!!

Can you give us a part number and place you bought from?

Mine failed too and it cost me $309 wholesale from Ford for a new one!

If I am going to have to lay out 300 clams the next time it fails, I'd rather do it on an aftermarket part.

thx,

Mike

dustindu4

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Got the PA Performance 200A alternator. I was sick of having charging problems so I figured the extra amperage would keep up with the battery. You need the wiring upgrade kit for it, 0 gauge wire and 200A fuse in line. The place I got it from has a package deal.

http://dagostinoracing.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=13612

had it installed since June with no hiccups so far.

Last edited:

RRRoamer

Reaction score
Dustin,

Does the PA alternator also have the overrun clutch like the stock alternator does? If not, has it caused you any issues? I can't see that it would, but then Ford spent the extra bucks to put that clutch on there in the first place.

dustindu4

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I don't know about the clutch, I would assume so. It took 2 years for PA performance to come out with an alternator because they couldn't get some of the oem components for it. The first time my alternator died that's what they told me. The second time it died my warranty was out and PA performance had -JUST- come out with their 200A model. I was the first person to buy it and install it. I know that for a fact because they initially sold them with the wrong wiring kit (was too short) and I was the first one to call in and complain.

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
Last February, my alternator took a dump on the way home from the track on a Saturday. So, on Tuesday, I had my wife call some Ford dealers. No one had one in stock, but one could have it on Wed morning. So, on Wed, she went to the Ford dealer hoping to get a warranty swap (using the naive blond card.. hehe). Anyway, they said they would need the car, and the supercharger was a deal killer. So, she bought the new alternator. What a rape... $470!

But, then one of the guys at the dealer told her about a place nearby that might be able to rebuild it. She went there and found out the guy could rebuild it for a lot less. I talked to him on the phone, and decided to let him do it. Donna took the other one back to Ford for a refund.

We picked up the rebuilt alternator, and it's worked great for almost a year now. Everything was basically new, including the case and a new 8-rib pulley. Out the door price was $270.

Also, the guy had given my wife some paperwork showing a 200A alternator that would work on our cars. It would need a different regulator connector, and needs to be re-clocked 1/3 turn, but this guy said it would be a simple change. I don't know the exact price for the 200A alternator... all he told her was that it was "expensive". I have no idea how it compares to the PA in price or quality. But, if you need/want a 200A alternator, it seems like you have another option. Check out the attached pdf file.

Attachments

• 200A Alternator.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 12

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back