EBC Yellowstuff pads?

redpony05

Reaction score
I'm going to willow springs (big track) this weekend and there's no way the 29.99 pep boys pads I have up front (they were temporary replacements while trying to cure a warped rotor issue) are going to cut it. I have boss 302 brake cooling ducts and the bigger 13.2 inch rotors off a 2011 gt, so the missing link is a good set of pads. Anyone have any experience with ebc pads? From my research their Yellowstuff pads seem like a good pad that will hold up ok on the track. Any other suggestions for good street/track pads would be appreciated too haha

DRock

Reaction score
there isnt really much of a thing as a good street/track pad. Willows big track isnt all that hard on the breaks anyways.

Look out for turn #9 and take it easy the first couple laps. Get used to the track.

pcdrj

forum member
Reaction score
If you're just starting out, Yellows are OK. Hawks HPS are another option for combined use. When changing pads make sure you cut the rotors before bedding in new pads. Different pad material typically don't mix well.

Red06GT

forum member
Reaction score
I used a couple sets of Yellowstuff pads when I was learning the ropes and they worked well for a combination pad. I'd say they were a step up from the HPS pads but still had very little squeal and dust on the street. They exhibit some pad fade (like the HPS, but somewhat less) toward the end of the session when you start pushing the car hard. You can feel it coming on so don't ride the brakes and you should be ok. The ducts will help.

You didn't say how much track experience you have or if you were going to run street tires or R-compound tires so it's hard to give much more advice than that. If you're on street tires, you should be very happy with the result. If on R-Compounds, I'd suggest moving up to better pad maybe Hawk HP+ or maybe EBC Bluestuff although I've never used either. I smoked a set when I moved up to Nitto NT01 tires but they worked well when I was using Yokohama Neovas.

The Yellowstuf pads come with an abrasive coating on the pads that will cut through any old pad material on the rotor to aid in bedding. You don't need to resurface the rotors unless they have some grooving in them. Always follow the pad manufacturers bedding procedure to ensure good performance on the track.

Chim-Chim

Will drive for food
Reaction score
Yellows will be fine. Big Willow is pretty easy on the brakes. FWIW, I ran yellows for several years on my car w/ RA1 tires and brake ducts. Yes, you have to manage your brakes (a good skill to learn) as you will get pad fade on brake intensive tracks, but for a dual purpose pad they do fine.

I've been running the EBC blues lately and they are a great choice for a dual purpose pad. Again, there are more aggressive pads out there, but for a very streetable pad that will only give up a second or two on the track, I've been pretty happy with the blues.

redpony05

Reaction score
who are you going with?

If u mean like what company/group am I going with, it's extremespeed track events. I was going to do horse thief mile but then they added an event for the big track at the last minute for only 85 bucks.

Red06gt: I've been to the drag strip quite a few times now, but this will only be my 2nd time out on some kind of road course. Also, I'm only running continental extreme contact summer tires, nothing special. And is that true that u don't have to get the rotors resurfaced? That'd be great cuz the rotors are only a few months old and I don't think I have time to take care of that before saturday.

DUFUS

forum member
Reaction score
I had used EBC Bluestuff pads for my first few events last year, with the std brakes on a 2011 GT. They held up OK, but as I progressed (faster/harder) their lifespan was questionable, and they were getting fractured/crumbly towards the very end. But as a combo thing (I don't believe I took them off when back on the street) they are probably as good as you can get, keeping in mind they won't be ideal for either application. Yellows probably aren't too far behind. The price is right and if the track isn't tough on brakes I imagine they (and you) will be fine.
FWIW wrt ducting, if you find yourself on a track with long straights ending in hard breaking for tight turns (Road America, from my experience) you might want to tape off a portion of the inlet for early sessions. The rotors will not like the heavy hot/"cold" cycling.
I've since added the Brembo brakes and 14" rotors and have to settle on a pad myself. I had ended up using Hawk DTC60 with the std brakes last year, so i might start there. I'm waiting for Orangestuff to become available, in case I want to go back to EBC, that's supposed to be their latest/greatest. Race only though, and I haven't seen them for sale in the US.

DRock

Reaction score
If u mean like what company/group am I going with, it's extremespeed track events. I was going to do horse thief mile but then they added an event for the big track at the last minute for only 85 bucks.

Red06gt: I've been to the drag strip quite a few times now, but this will only be my 2nd time out on some kind of road course. Also, I'm only running continental extreme contact summer tires, nothing special. And is that true that u don't have to get the rotors resurfaced? That'd be great cuz the rotors are only a few months old and I don't think I have time to take care of that before saturday.

Extremespeed are great guys to go racing with! Have fun and be safe

roboworm

Reaction score
I went to Buttonwillow last December with brand new Power Slot rotors and brand new EBC Yellowstuff pads. (Stock front calipers) After 3 sessions the pads disintegrated and pretty much melted down to metal. Messed up my new rotors also. EBC says I should have bought Bluestuff pads and sent me a brand new set of Yellowstuff pads, which went right into my brand new trash can. I ran Hawk HP+ previously and had no issues other than some fade. Since then I've bought the Brembo kit, with PFC01 pads. I ran last week at Streets at Willow. The brakes performed amazingly and I can't wait to race again. If you are going to track day your car, trust me, get a big brake kit with good pads or you will have problems. The best $1100 I've ever spent. I also dropped $500 on a Boss 302 front facia and cooling ducts for added insurance. I might go to Big Willow on Sunday also.

DusterRT

Defected to Deutsche
Reaction score
For the money, I thought the EBC pads were great. Ran a set of Yellows, then Blues. I noticed no difference in street manners between the two, but the Blues were better on track but still dead silent on the street. I had ducted big brakes and they held up pretty well, and were pretty easy on rotors. It took 2-3 sessions before they were really bedded in and confident though, that was annoying..

Red06GT

forum member
Reaction score
Red06gt: And is that true that u don't have to get the rotors resurfaced? That'd be great cuz the rotors are only a few months old and I don't think I have time to take care of that before saturday.[/QUOTE said:
Yep, if you look at the pads there is a brown coating on the surface. It is an abrasive material to remove any transfer layer from the previous pads. As long as the rotors are flat and without grooves, you'll be fine. Just be sure you bed them properly and get some city driving miles on them before you head out to the track. You'll get better performance on the track and extend the life of the pads. For lack of a better term, it "toughens" them up before you abuse them.

Have fun at the track and if you don't over drive the car, the pads should be fine.

Kobie

forum member
Reaction score
For the money, I thought the EBC pads were great. Ran a set of Yellows, then Blues. I noticed no difference in street manners between the two, but the Blues were better on track but still dead silent on the street. I had ducted big brakes and they held up pretty well, and were pretty easy on rotors. It took 2-3 sessions before they were really bedded in and confident though, that was annoying..

My experience exactly! They took 2 full sessions before they bedded in as well. I thought there was something wrong after the first session so I took it easy on the 2nd session and they just started working really well towards the end of the session. I wonder if it is because they don't have the same "bedding compound" applied to their surface like the Yellows???

DusterRT

Defected to Deutsche
Reaction score
My experience exactly! They took 2 full sessions before they bedded in as well. I thought there was something wrong after the first session so I took it easy on the 2nd session and they just started working really well towards the end of the session. I wonder if it is because they don't have the same "bedding compound" applied to their surface like the Yellows???

I'm not entirely sure. I seemed to get the same thing with the Yellows, but not as bad. But it's not apples and oranges, I was able to put a few hundred street miles and did some laps around an industrial area to bed the yellows in...when I put the blues on I only had time to drive it to work a couple times before the track day (50 miles, if that).

Chim-Chim

Will drive for food
Reaction score
I went to Buttonwillow last December with brand new Power Slot rotors and brand new EBC Yellowstuff pads. (Stock front calipers) After 3 sessions the pads disintegrated and pretty much melted down to metal. Messed up my new rotors also. EBC says I should have bought Bluestuff pads and sent me a brand new set of Yellowstuff pads, which went right into my brand new trash can. I ran Hawk HP+ previously and had no issues other than some fade. Since then I've bought the Brembo kit, with PFC01 pads. I ran last week at Streets at Willow. The brakes performed amazingly and I can't wait to race again. If you are going to track day your car, trust me, get a big brake kit with good pads or you will have problems. The best $1100 I've ever spent. I also dropped $500 on a Boss 302 front facia and cooling ducts for added insurance. I might go to Big Willow on Sunday also.

Yeah, but there was a Mustang curse in the air that day! You nuked your brakes, I nuked my clutch...

ArizonaGT

Road Course Member
Reaction score
atombombX.gif

jymontoya

forum member
Reaction score
I've had some great track experience with a variety of pads from Hawk, Carbotech, and now my new favorite Raybestos ST43.

While I'm just getting ready for the season in my '08, last year I used them on my prepared '97 Cobra with great results. First with Hankook RS3's, later with Continental Grand Am Cup scrubs. The ST43's just seem to last and last. 3 hard weekends (~1:42 laps) and I still had 1/2 - 3/4 life left. I live about 10-15 miles from Road Atlanta and drive to the track on them... and slicks ;) No real issue as long as your smart while they're cold. Had to close off the front ducts for cold (40*) morning sessions, otherwise they were difficult to modulate. Rotor wear was not too bad either, I use cheap Raybestos Advanced technology blanks...

Can't wait to try these on the Bullitt this year. Had a hard time finding them for the rear. Raybestos doesn't make them but Porterfield does a custom cut. Expensive that way, but they give a NASA member discount. The fronts for the Brembos are the standard R1001 pad, and can be had for under $100. PM me for details.

Reaction score
I used the Yellow's as my daily driver street pads on my c5 z06. That being said, they performed much better than expected while road racing. Not a phenomenal, stand the nose on it's end brake pad, but noticeably better than most lower end race pads. They can definitely handle some abuse.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back