Fixing understeer and body roll

allinon72

forum member
Reaction score
My car, like most Mustangs, has a problem with understeer. Coming from a 3 series BMW, it just doesn't handle the way I want it to. Obviously I realize it's a much heavier car with a solid axle, but I would like to address two things: body roll and understeer.

I currently have Vogtland springs with stock struts, BMR panhard bar, and upgraded front sway bar end links. My plan is to purchase Koni STR.Ts to keep the car stabilized and to cut down on body roll, and to purchase a BMR rear sway bar with billet end links to stiffen up the rear and cut down on the understeer.

Does this sound like a solid plan? My biggest reservation is with the BMR rear sway bar. It's quite pricey at $270 and I want to make sure it'll make a difference.

Razorbed

forum member
Reaction score
I got H&R Swaybars first, it fixed the bodyroll completely. Then I installed Vogtlands and STR.T`s, got rid of the nosedive and the squat at acceleration. I think you`ll be quite happy with the mods in plan.

Steve@T

Torq Sales
Reaction score
The sway bar will make the biggest difference and is a well worth it purchase. I think the cost of the BMR bar is justified by the addition of the billet endlinks.:2cents:

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
Like mentioned, sways, springs, and adjustable shocks/struts and you'll be more than happy with how it handles. Even with its solid axle.

Vapour Trails

The Renaissance Man
Reaction score
My plan is to purchase Koni STR.Ts to keep the car stabilized and to cut down on body roll,

Shocks/struts do not reduce body roll, but they can change the rate at which it happens.

Aside, how much did you pay to have your CDC classic painted in CS style?

Last edited:

SilentScope

Chemist by profession
Reaction score
Shocks/struts do not reduce body roll, but they can change the rate at which it happens.

exactly, and stiffer is not always better.

best solution for understeer: Driver mod.

learn how work with your car, instead of battling against it.

its never gonna be an mx5 or that sorts, so be nice to her, and she'll treat you right on the track

ArizonaGT

Road Course Member
Reaction score
best solution for understeer: Driver mod.

learn how work with your car, instead of battling against it.
xzqRQ.jpg

SilentScope

Chemist by profession
Reaction score
No better money spent than that on giving yourself time behind the wheel.

And that is a fucking funny meme picture lol

SilentScope

Chemist by profession
Reaction score
The car itself does inherently understeer, and it can become limiting, skill level notwithstanding.

I think an aftermarket rear sway is a cheap, easy and worthy mod to make the car more satisfying to drive.

most certainly, they help a lot! but its pointless to put one on the car if you dont know why, what or how its working..

suspension geometries and pre-loading is very valuable to learn by driving the car without the mods, then when u do add the mods, you'll be much more competent.

Sam Strano

forum member
Reaction score
Always two sides to any coin.

I teach driving, and I sell parts. I see people with way too much crap on their cars trying to band-aid driving errors. On the other hand I see a lot of folks that are driving cars that are just not a whole lot of fun, so they force the issue and that creates bad habits too.

Someone mentioned my sway bars. I think they are the best for a number of reasons. Not the least of which is that both the front and rear are adjustable. I also was pretty picky about the sizing of the bars, and how they mount, and that they work with Fays2/Steeda type Watts links. And, they are both hollow (most rears are solid). I'm also pretty much one of the few folks that actually does handling type things, and I do complete setups... again a big reason BOTH are adjustable.

Whiz-bang fancy rear "links" are not functionally any better. They look cool, and I don't supply fancy aluminum ones, because I'm about function vs. form. BTW, they are only mounts, not links... the rear bar does not use any end-link at all.

As for never gonna beat an MX5. You'd be surprised what a well setup Mustang can do. And not for nothing I notice you have a Shelby GT, which has different swaybars and springs on it "stock" and is a much better balanced car than is a normal say 2007 GT.

My adjustable rear bar is $189.00. If you want fancy-shmancy aluminum "links" you can use them with my bar... But really why would you want a heavier bar that offers you no opportunity to do any tuning with?

03fridge

Reaction score
Interesting responses to the OPs question...how did the conclusion come about that the OP doesn't have a lot of seat time. He never indicated one way or the other, so why jump to the conclusion the he doesn't have any at all. Maybe the OP has a lot of seat time and through his seat time came to the conclusion he did and this is what HE feels he needs to fix to fit HIS driving style.

To bad the OP couldn't answer the good question about "what type of corner and where in the corner" so he could get some better solutions to his problem before being told "go get more seat time and then you can figure the answer out youself".

allinon72

forum member
Reaction score
I guess I should have clarified...I'm not a road racer so this is for street driving mostly.

Kobie

forum member
Reaction score
Strano sway bars so you can tune the front and rear for whatever kind of driving you do. Fays2 watts link will give the rear a more"IRS" type of feel and will give the suspension even more adjust ability.

allinon72

forum member
Reaction score
I am going to start with the Koni's, and I'm leaning towards Strano's rear bar due to the adjustability.

latch5

forum member
Reaction score
I went from stock sway bars to Steeda - not much difference. Finally took some of the great advise from this forum and talked with Sam Strano (several times). I put his bars on front & back. Tremendous improvement.
Thanks Stan!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back