Ford performance throttle body worth it?

DutchOwned

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I have a 2005 gt N/A automatic with brenspeed rocker cams, CAI and a general sct flash tune. Also planning on getting 4.10 gear ratio.
A second hand 62mm fordperformance throttlebody has come on my path, and i was wondering if they are worth it. I read some other threads about how little power they give and how they're only worth it if you're boosted. But i saw one thread about how it was different if you have cams but now im stuck with the decision. Can you guys help me decide on whether i should buy it or not?

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
A 62mm TB may yield a 4hp gain at best so you decide if it's worth the cost. I'd only suggest getting one if the engine's NA but with ported heads, performance cams, upgraded valve springs, performance intake manifold, and a 7000+rpm capability. Otherwise just port your stock throttle body like I did mine (see image below).

On boosted engines, a larger throttle body is really beneficial with a positive displacement blower. With turbo or centric blowers, there's still some benefit but less so.

TB_Stock_v_Ported.jpg

Midlife Crises

Reaction score
That throttle body will flow much more air than your stock intake manifold can move so you won’t gain anything. If you combine the throttle body with a Ford performance intake manifold you could gain a few HP above 6 grand.

MasterofDisaster

Reaction score
just port your stock throttle body like I did mine (see image below).
Dino - What did you do? It looks a little like you polished it with a dremel with a wire brush. Maybe a sandpaper roll? Did you polish only the atmosphere side or the motor side too?

thanks,

MoD

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
I did the main grinding on the inlet side using a Dremel with a carbide cutter, and then polished it as much as I could with a sanding roll. I left the bores themselves untouched at 55mm each.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back