Help...Cams Installed and Car barely runs

southernthunder

forum member
Reaction score
I know it sounds simple but try cleaning your MAF and throttle body...when I installed my cams it wouldn't idle at all...thought it was tune related...someone told me to try cleaning throttle body and maf before getting a tune revision and after I was done it started right up and idled perfect...it may not be the case for you but its worth a shot that will probably cost you $10 for cleaners

Ok you are the man for the most part... I have it running alottttt better. I cleaned the TB yesterday without taking it off the car.. It stopped dying at low idle but still surged like Crazy. Brenspeed said to clean it and dont have to remove it...AND Today I took the TB all the way off. BOY O BOY that thing was nasty on the inside. You could see what I cleaned from the outside a little. I used 2 whole cans of tb cleaner.. Finally got it clean. Re-loaded the 93 tune and got it to crank, Idle pretty smooth.. A little higher than desired but will have to check that more tomorrow.

But all in all it runs 10000 times better than yesterday.... Update maybe tomorrow sometime on if it is fully resolved...:beerchug2:

wht67

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I am almost tempted to pull the valve covers to "make sure they are in time" I know the bottom did not slip at all so the copper link should be on the timing mark on each valve cover... plus gives me an excuse to order my Black Powdercoated Ford Racing Valve Covers... but will clear all the doubt of timing issues...and tell me its tune or something else related....

Glad that removing and cleaning the TB helped! Unless you have to have the FRPP valve covers, I recommend getting some powdercoated covers from fallenauthority. He does great work and has a $100 special going on right now, see this thread. Would save a couple hundred and you could pick another color if you wanted....

VanWilder

forum member
Reaction score
Ok you are the man for the most part... I have it running alottttt better. I cleaned the TB yesterday without taking it off the car.. It stopped dying at low idle but still surged like Crazy. Brenspeed said to clean it and dont have to remove it...AND Today I took the TB all the way off. BOY O BOY that thing was nasty on the inside. You could see what I cleaned from the outside a little. I used 2 whole cans of tb cleaner.. Finally got it clean. Re-loaded the 93 tune and got it to crank, Idle pretty smooth.. A little higher than desired but will have to check that more tomorrow.

But all in all it runs 10000 times better than yesterday.... Update maybe tomorrow sometime on if it is fully resolved...:beerchug2:

Awesome man!!! Glad I could help :beerchug2: I just know that's all it took to get mine to idle after my cam install so I figured it would be worth a shot!!!

Back