I just got a pressure washer, I need some tips

DKS

Wax on, Wax off.
Reaction score
So do I still need another car wash solution to put my mitt in or can I just use the foam that gets placed on the car?

You're going to rinse the initial foam off the car to get rid of the dirt. That's the point of using it. If you use your mitt on the car before you rinse the foam/dirt off it's defeating the purpose of foaming and pressure washing it.

However, you can foam then rinse, and then use a foam gun like the Foammaster II to foam as you wash. I don't do this method, but lots of people do. You still have to have a rinse bucket with a grit guard if you're doing it this way to clean your mitt each time.

Bmr4life

2005 GT
Reaction score
I use a power washer on a car that has visible mud or dirt that is more than just dust. I foam first, let it soak awhile, then spray it off with the power washer. It's way better for the paint than rubbing the mud with your mitt and then spreading it all over your paint.

Basically, if the car has been caught out in the rain, I'm going to pressure wash it first to get all that road grime, mud, etc. off before my mitt touches it.

If it's just dusty, I'll foam, rinse with the hose and wash with 2 buckets.

Thanks, that answers a lot. I'd like to follow this exact method. I'm assuming you use a different wash compound with the bucket and mitt.

You're going to rinse the initial foam off the car to get rid of the dirt. That's the point of using it. If you use your mitt on the car before you rinse the foam/dirt off it's defeating the purpose of foaming and pressure washing it.

However, you can foam then rinse, and then use a foam gun like the Foammaster II to foam as you wash. I don't do this method, but lots of people do. You still have to have a rinse bucket with a grit guard if you're doing it this way to clean your mitt each time.

Thanks again.

DKS

Wax on, Wax off.
Reaction score
Thanks, that answers a lot. I'd like to follow this exact method. I'm assuming you use a different wash compound with the bucket and mitt.

Thanks again.

I use Chemical Guys MaxiSuds II for my foam guns (garden hose and pressure washer)

I also use the MaxiSuds II in my bucket, sometimes. Other times I use different stuff. Just depends on my mood, what I'm washing, what I'm trying to do (strip wax or maintenance wash), and what I have a surplus of at the time.

I always use Chemical Guys Citrus Wash for stripping wax.

It's very important to use the correct concentrations for what you're trying to accomplish. Most washes will strip wax if you use it in too high of a concentration. That's why some guys think a wax doesn't last long. They throw a cup full of soap in their water to get a bunch of suds and end up stripping their wax off the first time they wash the car.

Bmr4life

2005 GT
Reaction score
Just wanted to update my own thread and post my findings.

I like the $100 foam cannons, but I hate the idea of spending $100 for something that's worth half that. (parts are probably $20-25 if you can find them all).

But low and behold, I found one for $20. Not as robust, but it appears to work just as good. Perfect for my cheap ass.

That bad boy is $20 at homedepot. Gotta love it.

I just looked closer at another link.

They used the same $20 sprayer with the HoneyDew Foam.

Last edited:

Bmr4life

2005 GT
Reaction score
They can be built for ~$50-60.

I was going to just buy this one. Found out I can get an adapter for $4 at HD versus the $15 autogeeks wants for one. But then then found the $20 cannon at HD that just connects to the quick connect part of my wand. I plan on picking one up today, but I need some foaming soap to use with it.

Last edited:

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Bucket. Water. Soap. Hose. Has worked wonderfully well for me for the last 25 years and get this it's cheap. My cars get hand washed and waxed only.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I always use Chemical Guys Citrus Wash for stripping wax.

Common dish washing soap will do the same job. When I want to strip wax to start fresh....Ultra Ivory does the trick. And it leaves my hands soft. When I want to just wash, Meguirs.

DKS

Wax on, Wax off.
Reaction score
Common dish washing soap will do the same job. When I want to strip wax to start fresh....Ultra Ivory does the trick. And it leaves my hands soft. When I want to just wash, Meguirs.

Yes, it will do the same thing to the paint and the wax, but it's not as good for the seals, rubber, etc. That's the problem.

NastyStang113

Made in U.S.A.
Reaction score

Yes, it will do the same thing to the paint and the wax, but it's not as good for the seals, rubber, etc. That's the problem.

Exactly. It dries out the rubber, weatherstripping, etc. I mean think about how they use Dawn to clean up oil spills. It will remove oil right out of anything.

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
Exactly. It dries out the rubber, weatherstripping, etc. I mean think about how they use Dawn to clean up oil spills. It will remove oil right out of anything.

But Sal Zaino says its ok, so it must be true! </sarcasm>

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back