I just got a pressure washer, I need some tips

Bmr4life

2005 GT
Reaction score
The only thing I know for sure is to run it on a lower setting, otherwise I may strip off any protectant.

Any tips on a cleaning solution or method?

california gt

senior citizen member
Reaction score
your rig does not look like it is "power washer" dirty.
i would stay clear of it :tdown:

Bmr4life

2005 GT
Reaction score
I swear I've read its good to pre-rinse the car with a power washer to remove whatever dirt off you can so you don't get you wash mitt dirty. I would still use the 2 bucket method, but wanted to have a better pre-rinse than with the garden hose I've been using.

Another thing I've read about is a foaming soap you use a pressure washer to apply that helps break down dirt so you don't have to rub as hard during the hand wash.

Last edited:

Bodam

forum member
Reaction score
yikes, with a pressure washer, you would be rubbing the dirt particles against the paint surface, and that will make small scratches, similar to swirl marks.

Now saying that, I'd save the pressure washer for undercarriage and the driveway, lol

John@Lethal

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Power washing is perfectly fine. No reason to be scared. Clay afterwards and then you'll be LSP ready. Some sealants can hold up well to the pressure.

NastyStang113

Made in U.S.A.
Reaction score
Power washing is completely fine if you're using it properly. You aren't putting it up against the paint like you're cleaning concrete.. There is a reason why the guys that get paid the big bucks use it on clients and personal vehicles. It works! Pressure wash to rinse the vehicle well. Pressure washer to use a foam cannon / foam lance to 'lift' dirt and dust away and off the vehicle. Pressure washer to rinse this and the wash. Once you use one, like this, you will never go back. It makes washing much much more enjoyable. I use it every single time and have no issues with it ever stripping the LSP.

I've got a cheap electric pressure washer from Lowes that is 1500 PSI / 1.5 GPM which is more important than pressure.

Last Step Product, whatever product you use last be it a sealant or carnuba wax.

Last edited:

Bmr4life

2005 GT
Reaction score
LOL, Power washing is completely fine if you're using it properly. You aren't putting it up against the paint like you're cleaning concrete.. There is a reason why the guys that get paid the big bucks use it on clients and personal vehicles. It works! Pressure wash to rinse the vehicle well. Pressure washer to use a foam cannon / foam lance to 'lift' dirt and dust away and off the vehicle. Pressure washer to rinse this and the wash. Once you use one, like this, you will never go back. It makes washing much much more enjoyable.

Last Step Product, whatever product you use last be it a sealant or carnuba wax.

Thanks a lot.

So Rinse with just water, then a foam. What foam product do you recommend? Something like this?

And thanks for the LSP explanation.

Here's a video.

So do I still need another car wash solution to put my mitt in or can I just use the foam that gets placed on the car?

Last edited:

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
chemical guys honey dew is my new favorite foaming soap.

DKS

Wax on, Wax off.
Reaction score
I use a power washer on a car that has visible mud or dirt that is more than just dust. I foam first, let it soak awhile, then spray it off with the power washer. It's way better for the paint than rubbing the mud with your mitt and then spreading it all over your paint.

Basically, if the car has been caught out in the rain, I'm going to pressure wash it first to get all that road grime, mud, etc. off before my mitt touches it.

If it's just dusty, I'll foam, rinse with the hose and wash with 2 buckets.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back