Is it ok to install L/T and ... without a tune ?

Virgin_Mustang

forum member
Reaction score
Hi,

My tune is taking long to arrive, so I am wondering if its possible to drive around after I install the L/T's and E.water pump without a tune.

Just for some time till the tune arrives.

travelers

Reaction score
No I wouldn't drive it without your new tune. Its the L/Ts that is the factor. Who is sending you a tune?

cobra4548

forum member
Reaction score
You don't need a new tune with the electric pump but you dang sure need one with the longtubes. You could potentially throw the car in to limp home mode every time without a new tune. Better to be patient and wait for the tune.

Virgin_Mustang

forum member
Reaction score
But tell me will I expect alot ? lol I can't wait.

Lets say I installed them with the tune and raced myself ( the shadow version of me ) Of course without the new mods.

What diffrence will I give myself ? Like 1 car length ? 2 car lengths ? 3?

GIG4FUN

Rock 'n' Roll Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
But tell me will I expect alot ? lol I can't wait.

Lets say I installed them with the tune and raced myself ( the shadow version of me ) Of course without the new mods.

What diffrence will I give myself ? Like 1 car length ? 2 car lengths ? 3?

I can't figure out your question here... (I am tanked on Gin/Tonic) so maybe I'm the one....

But if you are asking if it will be faster... HELL YA! Who are you waiting on for the tune?

Last edited:

Virgin_Mustang

forum member
Reaction score
Jim... on JDM.

sweet I can't wait.. How many tenths will I knock of on the 60 foot and the 1/4 Mile ?

Sorry I ask alot.. but it feels like my virgin mustang will be un-virgin'ed.

Virgin_Mustang

forum member
Reaction score
GIG4Fun .. I see in ur list u have an aftermrket alternator ? power ? or cuz u have an audio system or whatsever ?

Thanks/

GIG4FUN

Rock 'n' Roll Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
GIG4Fun .. I see in ur list u have an aftermrket alternator ? power ? or cuz u have an audio system or whatsever ?

Thanks/

I have the factory 1000 watt amp BUT the reason I put it on is because I use an electric Mexiere water pump. It pulls 12amps by itself.

Virgin_Mustang

forum member
Reaction score
So Do I need one ? How much do they cost ?

Why didn't I know about this before..I guess I didn't ask good.

GIG4FUN

Rock 'n' Roll Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
So Do I need one ? How much do they cost ?

Why didn't I know about this before..I guess I didn't ask good.

I got a deal when they were on sale. I paid $349 for the 200a and their upgrade wiring kit. DO you need it... I don't know. I would wait until you found enough people that say you do, and then find out why they say so. I just got it because I am hitting the end of my modding list and had the money burning a hole in my pocket so to speak.

GIG4FUN

Rock 'n' Roll Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
No... but if (when?) your stock one dies, it's something to consider.

I ALSO have a brand new Meziere E/water pump for a spare I carry in the trunk. I am not normal...

ArtQ

forum member
Reaction score
The EH20 requires no tune change.

I asked my tuner about the long tubes as well. He said generally no tune required, however you may get a CEL due to the fact that the rear O2's are placed in a different position. He sent me a tune that shut the rear O2's off.

GIG4FUN

Rock 'n' Roll Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
the front O2's will be a far cry from stock as well. Everything will be "delayed" in its feedback to what already happened. Those front sensors are as close a humanly possible I think :)

ArtQ

forum member
Reaction score
The Kooks with the hi-flow cats didn't change the fronts by much, if any.

GIG4FUN

Rock 'n' Roll Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
any idea what he's got going on?

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
the front O2's will be a far cry from stock as well. Everything will be "delayed" in its feedback to what already happened. Those front sensors are as close a humanly possible I think :)
Yep... and if that delay isn't accounted for in the tune, expect to see a P0130 - 133 type code. It won't necessarily hurt anything, but it's annoying.

Virgin_Mustang

forum member
Reaction score
Yep... and if that delay isn't accounted for in the tune, expect to see a P0130 - 133 type code. It won't necessarily hurt anything, but it's annoying.

sweet so I guess installing them won't hurt anything for 1 or 2 days../9 depending on how long the tune takes to be here.

Trust me U don't know how small my room is and how big the box is.. I just wana get rid of it. <-- Good Excuse.

SixtySix

ZonieBaloney
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You can run a longtube setup without a tune, it just won't be optimum, and probably leave a few hp on the table.

When I got my tune from Doug (bamachips) he told me to go ahead and run the tune I already had from him until I got the L/T Tune. He said that difference wasn't as great as one might think.

The only CELs that popped up were the the one's related to slow lightoff of the O2 sensors, due to them being much further back from stock and of course the CEL for the rear O2's being removed. No lean codes or anything else that would raise my eyebrows.

I ran a week like that before the L/T tune showed up, no trouble at all.

The L/T tune had the rear O2's shutoff and some minor adjustments to A/F to compensate for the new setup.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back