JLT and tune question.

2007grabberGT

forum member
Reaction score
After a few hundred mile on my '07 with my new JLT CAI and SCT XCal3 tune, I have a question. When I am accelerating, my new-found power seems to NOT be smooth, but rather just "show-up" at 3000 rpm. Its like someone hit a little 30hp Nitrous shot or something. Is this normal with you other JLT owners? Should I be concerned? Should I stop beating my rear tires like a red-headed step child? Why do you drive on a parkway and park on a driveway?:idea::idea:

Thanks in advance,
Bill

timfoster405

forum member
Reaction score
Hey all... I am new to the S197...What is the purpose of the plates? Do they help promote bottom-end torque? Was not something like these on the first Cobras back in 1996? I had a Terminator for 4 years with some mods and did alot of reading up on the cars... and don't recall these on the supercharged 4v engines???

2007grabberGT

forum member
Reaction score
Not at WOT, but perhaps 60-70% throttle. I guess it could very well be the plates. I've never thought about it (this is my first car with 'charge motion plates'). Now, Should I consider the charge motion deletes? hmm. . . .

Bill

Bingo

Because street car
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Hey all... I am new to the S197...What is the purpose of the plates? Do they help promote bottom-end torque? Was not something like these on the first Cobras back in 1996? I had a Terminator for 4 years with some mods and did alot of reading up on the cars... and don't recall these on the supercharged 4v engines???
They keep the intake velocity up when lugging around. Good for low end, but becomes restrictive in the middle and up top.

Not at WOT, but perhaps 60-70% throttle. I guess it could very well be the plates. I've never thought about it (this is my first car with 'charge motion plates'). Now, Should I consider the charge motion deletes? hmm. . . .

Bill

A fellow board member I talked with said the delete plates gave his butt dyno a higher reading from stop to the top, contrary to what I originally thought. If you're contemplating a positive displacement blower, it removes the plates anyway, so don't bother with the plates. If that's not in your future, delete 'em...it'll probably be a mod in my future. You'll need a tune, though.

srt2stang725

Reaction score
After a few hundred mile on my '07 with my new JLT CAI and SCT XCal3 tune, I have a question. When I am accelerating, my new-found power seems to NOT be smooth, but rather just "show-up" at 3000 rpm. Its like someone hit a little 30hp Nitrous shot or something. Is this normal with you other JLT owners? Should I be concerned? Should I stop beating my rear tires like a red-headed step child? Why do you drive on a parkway and park on a driveway?:idea::idea:

Thanks in advance,
Bill

my car does the same thing (i too have a JLTII and a Brenspeed tune SCT II)...if im just revving the car out (not wot) once it hits 3k it gets louder and starts to pull....It seems like its some kind of variable valve timing....im not sure if our cars have vvt though, i was under the impression that we do......

Fastmover

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
my car does the same thing (i too have a JLTII and a Brenspeed tune SCT II)...if im just revving the car out (not wot) once it hits 3k it gets louder and starts to pull....It seems like its some kind of variable valve timing....im not sure if our cars have vvt though, i was under the impression that we do......

Found your problem!

Silver06

forum member
Reaction score
I am running a JLT and I would say that after I got my Bama 93 Race tune it changed the performance to being right when I hit the throttle (little to no lag anymore). I never noticed any extra pull after 3000. It pulls hard from idle after the tune. I will say the tune the PO had on the car didn't work like that, and the Bama 87 tune doesn't either.

I would highly recommend dropping the $50 to try a Bama 93 Race tune. JMO. I have never used Brenspeed, but I have heard alot of good stuff about them as well. I would call them as well and explain it to them, because it doesn't sound right.

Fastmover

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
IMO they aren't very good. A very good friend of my has a GT with minior bolts ons, and he was having lots of problems with the car, shift wrong, idle sucked, hesitation. I had him get a tune for JDM and now his car is perfect and drives bettes, has more power and increased his MPG 3.6! They had a few cars at Orlando FFW event, with the same set up I had, running slower in a lighter car, and I even trailered one in first round. Some people have this tunning thing down pat, some don't they just kind of put a few things they have expercened into a tune IMO Jim is the best tuner around because he knows what he is doing, he has been doing if for a LONG time, allot of shops just started playing with tunes in the last few years, and just don't have the knowledge to do it right. Jim once showed me a computer program. I think there were something like 99 screens of codes and adjustments to make! if you just make a few adjustments it eventually makes other stuff different. I can appriciate Brenspeed for wanting to sell FI kits and tunes. IMO they aren't as experciened as they need to be. These computers have a fine line with how these cars run, and you need to know very precislly where it is.
IMO
Chris

srt2stang725

Reaction score
Found your problem!

bad experience? lol

But im not talking about when im wide open...i have smooth power all the way up to redline when wot, im talking about when i am just crusing through the gears maybe at quarter throttle, the rpms climb and then when they hit 3k it sounds like it has some kind of variable timing.

srt2stang725

Reaction score
IMO they aren't very good. A very good friend of my has a GT with minior bolts ons, and he was having lots of problems with the car, shift wrong, idle sucked, hesitation. I had him get a tune for JDM and now his car is perfect and drives bettes, has more power and increased his MPG 3.6! They had a few cars at Orlando FFW event, with the same set up I had, running slower in a lighter car, and I even trailered one in first round. Some people have this tunning thing down pat, some don't they just kind of put a few things they have expercened into a tune IMO Jim is the best tuner around because he knows what he is doing, he has been doing if for a LONG time, allot of shops just started playing with tunes in the last few years, and just don't have the knowledge to do it right. Jim once showed me a computer program. I think there were something like 99 screens of codes and adjustments to make! if you just make a few adjustments it eventually makes other stuff different. I can appriciate Brenspeed for wanting to sell FI kits and tunes. IMO they aren't as experciened as they need to be. These computers have a fine line with how these cars run, and you need to know very precislly where it is.
IMO
Chris

ahh gotcha...i want to check jdm out since they are local and i hear nothing but good things about them....and also im debating on whether or not i want to install my future supercharger or i want them to.

TexStang

Reaction score
yeah... I was just wondering, because thats the first negative I've head about Brenspeed. I have one of his tunes on my car and love it. Is it the best, prolly not, but it runs damn good.

Dex

I'm Dexolishous
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
thats only one person i've seen not liking brenspeed. i've seen 100+ threads on how much people do love them. My got my Dads JLT and tune for his GT500 there

2007grabberGT

forum member
Reaction score
I AM considering ordering a new 'email tune' for my car, just because I fear the lean conditions a 'bad tune' would cause. After some good answers on this thread, I think that I am feeling the charge motion plates opening up.

One more question, If my current to was too lean, would my car give me a CEL and error code?:idea:

Thanks again,
Bill

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back