Off Road pipe with what axle back

JGT

Reaction score
I'm running a Off Road X-pipe with SLP and I want to cut down the rasp.
I'm thinking of getting Borla S type axle backs. Would this help to cut some of the rasp or should I get a chamber muffler.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
After 4 years you still don't know that asking what part to buy isn't considered tech? How stupid are you?

And Borla Touring is my recommendation. With off road H pipe.

JGT

Reaction score
Just looking for opinions of others, no harm done.

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
Im with boss I love my m80s. Mid mufflers sound great on our cars. The only combos I like are stock mufflers with an off road mid pipe and x pipe with mid mounted mufflers like m80s, magnapacks, borla stingers and cherry bombs.

Iceman62

Bullitt 6005
Reaction score
Agree w/others...gotta pitch that X-pipe for the H-pipe (1st). Then see what it sounds like & move to other parts...IMO.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
Tone without the drone. Husband liked, Wife approved. LOL!

05-09 - ORH with magnaflow street series
11-14 - ORH with GT500

07 Boss

Reaction score
Im with boss I love my m80s. Mid mufflers sound great on our cars. The only combos I like are stock mufflers with an off road mid pipe and x pipe with mid mounted mufflers like m80s, magnapacks, borla stingers and cherry bombs.

I've got the little cherry bombs in the middle and outlaws out back. My next build is going to have the long 23" cherry bombs and dumped before the axle. Haven't decided turn downs or out and up the side in front of the wheels.

travelers

Reaction score
Tone without the drone. Husband liked, Wife approved. LOL!

05-09 - ORH with magnaflow street series
11-14 - ORH with GT500

I don't have to have that approval (Lol) but I do have the same ORH with the GT500s which sounds good without any drone. After the ARH with ORH install the sound got a little louder, but still no drone.

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
I've got the little cherry bombs in the middle and outlaws out back. My next build is going to have the long 23" cherry bombs and dumped before the axle. Haven't decided turn downs or out and up the side in front of the wheels.

I love dumped exhausts but they can get a lot of drone. I took off my axle backs a few times so my m80s were pretty much dumped behind the axle. I love the depth of it but it looks bad with the cutouts in the rear bumper. Whatever you decide to go with post up some videos, Id love to hear it. Its not every day you hear dumps on an s197.

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
If I had to do it over again I'd be tempted to give the Borla Touring a shot. Everything else I tried other than GT500 axle backs had too much rasp.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
I don't have to have that approval (Lol) but I do have the same ORH with the GT500s which sounds good without any drone. After the ARH with ORH install the sound got a little louder, but still no drone.

Lucky you! :head3:

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
If I had to do it over again I'd be tempted to give the Borla Touring a shot. Everything else I tried other than GT500 axle backs had too much rasp.

I loved the Borla Touring on my Bullitt so I obviously wanted the same on this car. Ended up buying the Ford Racing Touring which appears to be made by Borla but was on sale for $100 cheaper. Was going to post a link but I'm not seeing it on AM's website any more. All I could find was the V6 version.
https://www.americanmuscle.com/ford-touring-axleback-1113v6.html

GTAmuscle

forum member
Reaction score
Love my ORX with the Borla touring. No drone, loud when you want it to be, but quiet on the cruise.

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
This not it?
https://www.americanmuscle.com/ford-axleback-2011gt.html

Volume "meter" on that website has different values vs. the Borla Touring though.

I may give the Touring a try some day. I'll definitely order off Amazon. I got my money back on the last two axle backs I tried and decided not to keep. Can't get away with that from any other vendor AFAIK.

EDIT: My bad. The ones I linked are the FRPP version of the Borla S.

Last edited:

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
This not it?
https://www.americanmuscle.com/ford-axleback-2011gt.html

Volume "meter" on that website has different values vs. the Borla Touring though.

I may give the Touring a try some day. I'll definitely order off Amazon. I got my money back on the last two axle backs I tried and decided not to keep. Can't get away with that from any other vendor AFAIK.

EDIT: My bad. The ones I linked are the FRPP version of the Borla S.

Borla didn't make touring axle backs for 11-12 models, only for 05-10 and 13-14..

They produced only S type and ATAK for 11-12 models, along with the Ford Racing Sport that you posted above..

https://www.americanmuscle.com/borla-stinger-axleback-2011gt.html

Speedboosted

Found missing cylinders
Reaction score
I have long tubes, offroad H, magnapacks in the OTA, and Borla Stingers out back. Finally found the sound I like. No rasp, just burly. No drone either which was a problem before I added the magnapacks.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back