Passenger side tick/knock

Cammed 05

Always happy
Reaction score
I didn't want to derail or steal the other guys thread so I made my own.

Little pre info. Cars an 05 with hotrods, full exhaust, gears, and a 100 shot. Probably had 15-20 bottles run though it in its life so far. Just rolled 120k yesterday, oil has been changed religiously with M1 filter and castrol religiously 3-5k. I beat on the car quite a bit but it hasn't drank from the bottle in close to a year.

After the cars fully warm only, there is a tap/tick from the passenger valve cover. Me and the tech that works next to me have narrowed it down to the passenger side only. I spent some time, yes I have some exhaust leaks. I need to do manifold gaskets, and need to cut and reweld some new mufflers in as the 2step hasn't been kind to them.

But the noise is not an exhaust leak. I have spent about 30 minutes with a stethoscope poking around. The noise doesn't really change foward or aft of the head. Seems pretty constant throughout. Passenger side only. The noise gets louder and more pronounced if you go between the manifold runners in the valley. So to me that almost would rule out followers and lifters I would think.

I'm kind of thinking its possibly cam phaser or maybe the tensioner is getting weak allowing a little chain slap? Opinions, idears? I'm going to pull the valve cover one day this week to check on things. Just from all the searching I've done haven't found a good answer for what I'm looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark221

Reaction score
let me know what you find. I have the same issue. Mine seems to be more pronounced at idle. don't here it so much at throttle

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
Have you datalogged the car and looked at the cam sensor readings to see if there is a difference in the actual reading vs what is commanded in the tune? Typically at idle you should see 0 cam angle. Also during acceleration you shouldn't see much cam angle 'til the mid-upper RPM range, then the VCT will start to push some cam angle.

I only ask about a datalog as this was the only way I figured my phasers/VCT solenoids were taking a dump. I run stock cams with my procharger, but for some reason I was flopping a max cam angle (with limiters) under WOT when it was only supposed to command a few degrees. Either the spring of the phaser had lost tension or the VCT solenoid wasn't controlling flow properly. Either way, I couldn't figure which was dicking me, so i replaced the whole set (new phasers, new solenoids). I also had a slight tick from under the hood, while I didn't isolate it to the valve covers, it did go away after changing out the solenoids and phasers. I also got my proper cam angle back, which was kinda nice since it picked up some more powerband up top lol.

sportinawoody

!@#$%^&*(
Reaction score
its an 05,,, put phasers in it, they were redesigned in late 07/early 08 to address this issue. these motors do also have issues puking followers with high miles and or repetitive abuse. the silicone squirt gasket on the tensioners wear away also over time. sounds like you are ready for a timing overhaul with your mileage anyway. frpp sells the entire kit very cheap with all phasers and timing components and gaskets. hit steve up, he'll give you the best price.

Last edited:

Cammed 05

Always happy
Reaction score
702- I tried to look at angle on the way home with my snap on scanner. Wouldn't read angle. Useless 5k $ pos lol. I'll just have to data log with the sct j guess.

Yes I know it's due for a timing overhaul and have looked into the kit. Hopefully I can pull the valve cover this weekend.

sportinawoody

!@#$%^&*(
Reaction score
datalogging is useless for the noise. the vct will still work making noise until it flies apart. quit dicking around and change the phasers, chains and tensioners and be done with it.

Cammed 05

Always happy
Reaction score
Well, I finally pulled the valve cover off. All the followers are intact and look fine. The cam has some wear but not as bad as I was expecting. The car gets beat on hard.
I'm going to go with its a phaser noise. I'll order one along with header gaskets. Should take care of the problem.

5a02af2d634833383fc7ccfe75bb5e22.jpg
ef4264099034c7c4179c435fd24a6c43.jpg

sportinawoody

!@#$%^&*(
Reaction score
you do phasers in pairs because the ones you have are updated so if you do one, you will be doing the other shortly for the same problem. they have updated the springs and added another stud to properly load the new spring on the new phasers. buy a whole damn timing kit for the price of one phaser and replace it all. i guarantee your tensioners are leaking oil. all this shit comes in a 250 dollar kit from ford racing. if you cant justify or afford that then you shouldn't be beating on your car

Cammed 05

Always happy
Reaction score
For 250 that's a no brainier for me. She's got some hard miles on the chains and tensioners. Especially with the 2step. I didn't know they redesigned the phasers. Thanks for the info.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back