programmer/tuner?

spudlicker

Reaction score
I have searched the tech part of the forum without luck. I just purchased a 2009 4.0 5spd. I'm curious of the most cost effective ways to get a little more performance from this car. Can someone enlighten me a little about reprogramming the "chip", the tool/tools to do that and what parts such as headers, CAI, dual exhaust have such an effect that a person would need to "retune" the computer controls. Also can retuning alone change performance without adding parts?
Right now I could use a little info about intake, namely I have used K/N filters for performance and saving cash for years and yet I see mustangs equipped with their cone shaped filters in what looks like the stock box with the top removed.... this looks like it would just allow hotter air from the engine bay to be used, Whats up with this? Thanks up front and look forward to some advice and info

06slow6

Reaction score
this is the setup i have..
http://www.americanmuscle.com/jlt-sct-0509v6-kit.html
with the 87 street, 87 performance, and 91 race. made a night and day difference

retuning alone will get you some performance gains but if your going to retune might as well get an intake for the extra 150+- tuning is literally (IMO) the easiest thing possible you could do to your car same with installing an aftermarket intake instead of the stock restrictive drop in, and it can all be done with hand tools. on our cars most people use the JLT intakes which is what i posted above and your whole stock intake setup is removed adding a 90* fitting with the intake pipe MAF slot and a JLT cone filter, a heat shield takes the place of the air box designed in a way that it will suck flowing air from the bottom of the car up and keeping most of the heat away. i cant remember the exact numbers but we measured the intake temps with the stock intake and the JLT and it dropped considerably lower

along with..
http://www.americanmuscle.com/pypes-2005v6-truedual-catback.html

best sounding exhaust IMO
and many people will suggest gears such as 3.73's or 4.10s and 4.10's are too much for a DD IMO
or you could upgrade with a 8.8 rear from a gt from Newtakeoff.com

linnE

forum member
Reaction score
be happy to answer any questions that you have about your vehicle..Pm your # to me and I will have Rick call you

spudlicker

Reaction score
Hey Amazon, thx for the response. I've got a lotta todo's this weekend, will get back to you after I digest a little of what i've seen so far.

linnE

forum member
Reaction score
Rick has been tuning forever LOL...

www.amazonracing.com if you want to check out his background.qualifications and expereince

he was doing e tuning way back when the tech that is available today was not around...and has been in at the ground level with just about every tuning development companies around at this point..

he works with them all so if you have already purchased something he can work with it instead of you having to purchase something different

it is important to choose the tuner who is a right fit for your goals for your vehicle so I strongly advice you to talk one on one to any tuner you are considering and make your decision based on that..

Ken04

gm troll basher
Reaction score
best added performance for the minimal cost; cold air intake, tuner, dual exhaust. Personally I wouldn't do the JLT cai, but that's just me.

If you have the time there's alot of good, slightly used parts for sale in the classifieds.

The FRPP Bullitt intake with the 85mm maf will work on the 4.0. It's a Ford part and looks good too.

The U1745 Diablosport for your car can be had used for around $150 and will have all the tunes you'd need for most popular cai's. Load a performance tune, either 87 octane or better and you will definitely feel the difference.

Shorty headers won't really give you much in the way of horsepower so bang for the buck is low. A true dual exhaust conversion is a couple hundred bucks, a couple hours work. Pick up some used GT take off mufflers for $25-$50 and you'll have a nice exhaust note with a little added performance.

Past these things it gets expensive to make horsepower in the 4.0.

spudlicker

Reaction score
Thx again, I'm new to tuning a modern vehicle so I will take you up on talking with Rick. Hope to learn a bit before making a choice. You sound convincing in your opinion of Rick. Thx again

spudlicker

Reaction score
I appreciate the advice Ken. I have wondered about using GT exhaust, I have family in the wrecking biz. Having been in retail I try to support people who provide help and knowledge when I need it. I'm getting the picture that tuning, intake, and exhaust are the places to start, also gearing and a limited slip of some type are something to consider. I am interested in this tho I am also someone who likes my cars factory or as close to it as possible. I'm the guy who will never think of buying a modified car used. I chose the 4.0 over the 4.6 for several reasons, yeah cost is one of them, used GT's tend to be loaded and costly for the miles remaining in them. Thx for the help, ttyl

jnewman1991

Reaction score
Go with a C&L cai and tuner from AmericanMuscle. That's what I did and I couldn't be any happier with my choice. Short tubes are totally not worth it either, I learned the hard way. As far as duals, newtakeoff has everything you need with GT mufflers for pretty cheap.

Ken04

gm troll basher
Reaction score
I appreciate the advice Ken. I have wondered about using GT exhaust, I have family in the wrecking biz. Having been in retail I try to support people who provide help and knowledge when I need it. I'm getting the picture that tuning, intake, and exhaust are the places to start, also gearing and a limited slip of some type are something to consider. I am interested in this tho I am also someone who likes my cars factory or as close to it as possible. I'm the guy who will never think of buying a modified car used. I chose the 4.0 over the 4.6 for several reasons, yeah cost is one of them, used GT's tend to be loaded and costly for the miles remaining in them. Thx for the help, ttyl

a complete used GT exhaust will go right on your car. The 2 1/2" GT exhaust will slip over the V6 2 1/4". Cut yours off past the cats and you'll be good to go. You'll have to tap the 3 muffler hanger mounts on the drivers side and cut the valance, but that's easy.

Gearing will help but for what you'll spend to change gears and install a limited slip you can just put a complete 8.8" rear end from a GT and won't have to do a thing but change the yoke on the driveshaft.

Lone Star

forum member
Reaction score
I have searched the tech part of the forum without luck. I just purchased a 2009 4.0 5spd. I'm curious of the most cost effective ways to get a little more performance from this car. Can someone enlighten me a little about reprogramming the "chip", the tool/tools to do that and what parts such as headers, CAI, dual exhaust have such an effect that a person would need to "retune" the computer controls. Also can retuning alone change performance without adding parts?
Right now I could use a little info about intake, namely I have used K/N filters for performance and saving cash for years and yet I see mustangs equipped with their cone shaped filters in what looks like the stock box with the top removed.... this looks like it would just allow hotter air from the engine bay to be used, Whats up with this? Thanks up front and look forward to some advice and info

I started my mods in stages.

I first got dual exhaust, bought mine from www.newtakeoff.com and am very pleased with the qualty, looks, and sound. As far as performance it will add minimal hp perhaps 3-6 hp, mainly for better sound and appearance the way a mustang should look. on the car from aprox 8000 miles-current mileage 32,000

I next went with the SCT Custom Tuner from www.americanmuscle.com with "free custom tunes for life" this is a great added value to the purchase as I upgrade my car with mods that require a tune I get it for free. Mine is stick shift as well and what you will notice is the throttle lag will be gone, the car will pull harder and get to speed quick. I have an 87 street, 89 performance, and 93 race tunes on mine and I run the 93 race tune because it is a night/day difference from stock. Not sure of Hp gains because I have never dyno'd my car, but you will feel a big difference. On the car from aprox 20,000 miles to current 32,000 miles

I had a k&n drop in from 15,000 -30,000 miles when a friend gave me a JLT CAI (which is the reason I didn't buy the combo from AM) This also added a few hp not sure how much but is felt. On car from 30,000-currrent 32,000 miles. AM stood by their "free tunes for life" despite me not buying it from them. Another thing I noticed was better fuel economy between the CAI & Tuner I am getting about 35 more miles to the tank of gas in mixed city/hwy driving, havent yet gone on a road trip (highway only) but sure I will be pleased with the mileage too.

My next upgrade will be a 8.8 rearend and 3.73 gears.

I did tons of research before each and every mod, being a skeptical person by nature also like to know what things do so I understand your hesitation. I am very pleased with everything I have and would highly recommend the same to anyone.

spudlicker

Reaction score
Thanks for the posting, sounds like you do things a little at a time too. It's my driver for the next 10 years, got plenty of time!

HenryinFlorida

Reaction score
I went the K&N CAI with a Diablo Sport Preditor model U7145 Tuner. It had a tune specific for the K&N as well as other CAI.
For duals I used the Pypes X-pipe true dual kit with some 2007 GT mufflers I got for free for a friend who replaced his GT mufflers a week after buying it.
I am very happy with teh results.
I am currently using the 93 octane tune with firm shift (I have an automatic), but have backed the global timing back 6 degrees so I can use 87 octane(Diablo Tech gave me this info). I am still very happy with the preformance. Sounds and feels much stronger.

sondra86

Reaction score

There are alot of different options. I have a Diablosport Trinity for my car and love it. Best part about it is if you switch cars, you can use it on the new car. Works on GM and Dodge too, but I'll always have a stang!

The cold air kits allow the engine to breath more. When you close the hood, a well designed kit will block the air from the direct engine heat still but pick up a bunch of power.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back