Boss, 90mm, airaid, which injectors???

Manic5oh

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm manic(at least I like to be), and I'm new to the forum. I have a 2011 Mustang Gt that I bought about a month ago. I used to have a very clean 86 5.0 given to me by my dad for almost winning the iowa highschool state wrestling tournament at 215lbs( I took 2nd by 3 points), but that car is long gone. I'm excited to be back in the game, but things have changed since I was involved with the first efi 5.0. Per the description, the car yad the boss intake, Ford performance 90mm tb, airaid 'race' intake and the MBRP catback. It has a bama tune, and am running thr 93 race. I want to take it to the next level, and go to a 93/e85 tune. My question is which injectors would I want to go with to maximize this current setup? Most on YouTube are saying LU47, but thats with stock throttlebody. I'm forced to be using this 90mm throttle body, so i have all the confirmation bias in the world that I'll be told what I want to hear here . Also, do I need long tube headers with this setup? My ultimate goal is to do opg and cs gear, and add boost. But FOR NOW, I want to do the e85 and have it run strong and safely, without having to rebuy all the parts that are already on the car, as they were kind of brought up in the negotiation process and I got a very good deal on this car, full suspension, control arms, sway kits, torsion, 3.31, dss 3.5 DS, BG SYNCHROSHIFT and MCG additive, Barton shifter blowfish bracket, McLeod RST clutch and all that. I hope I can make this all work! Thank you so much for reading this and giving the responses and considerations. I really really appreciate it! Ps I want to get a new tune and tuner as well

Rich Grundza

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm manic(at least I like to be), and I'm new to the forum. I have a 2011 Mustang Gt that I bought about a month ago. I used to have a very clean 86 5.0 given to me by my dad for almost winning the iowa highschool state wrestling tournament at 215lbs( I took 2nd by 3 points), but that car is long gone. I'm excited to be back in the game, but things have changed since I was involved with the first efi 5.0. Per the description, the car yad the boss intake, Ford performance 90mm tb, airaid 'race' intake and the MBRP catback. It has a bama tune, and am running thr 93 race. I want to take it to the next level, and go to a 93/e85 tune. My question is which injectors would I want to go with to maximize this current setup? Most on YouTube are saying LU47, but thats with stock throttlebody. I'm forced to be using this 90mm throttle body, so i have all the confirmation bias in the world that I'll be told what I want to hear here . Also, do I need long tube headers with this setup? My ultimate goal is to do opg and cs gear, and add boost. But FOR NOW, I want to do the e85 and have it run strong and safely, without having to rebuy all the parts that are already on the car, as they were kind of brought up in the negotiation process and I got a very good deal on this car, full suspension, control arms, sway kits, torsion, 3.31, dss 3.5 DS, BG SYNCHROSHIFT and MCG additive, Barton shifter blowfish bracket, McLeod RST clutch and all that. I hope I can make this all work! Thank you so much for reading this and giving the responses and considerations. I really really appreciate it! Ps I want to get a new tune and tuner as well

LU47 should be all you need, how ever, you may need a boost a pump to provide sufficient fuel at WOT. I'd contact Lund and/or AED and see what they recommend and they both can provide you with a remote tune to accommodate E-85. You will need a tune once you switch injectors and E-85, I'm not sure the vehicle will start and run on E-85 with out a tune. Just a couple of things, E85 can be anywhere from 51% to 85% ethanol and in most areas its about E70. You will see a 25-30% drop in fuel economy, so if you were getting 20 mpg expect it to go to 15 mpg. I switched to it a couple years ago and have been very pleased with the results.

Last edited by a moderator:

_E85

Reaction score
I have a 2011 GT with a similar NA setup: Steeda 101mm Cold Air Intake, BBK 85mm Throttle Body, 2018 ported intake manifold, and Pypes headers / exhaust. I run E85 and have the Ford Performance 47# injectors; work great no issues. I have tunes from VMP and 5-Star, both companies ask for your mods and customize a tune for your setup. If you make changes they can update the tune for additional fee.

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
throttle body isn't the choke point on these engines, you'll likely gain nothing from swapping injectors.

The OEM throttle body will outflow the intake (even a 2018+) and the heads. The LU47's will be fine if you want to spend more money. So would putting the OEM throttle body back on, selling that 90mm one, and keeping your current injectors.

Manic5oh

Reaction score
throttle body isn't the choke point on these engines, you'll likely gain nothing from swapping injectors.

The OEM throttle body will outflow the intake (even a 2018+) and the heads. The LU47's will be fine if you want to spend more money. So would putting the OEM throttle body back on, selling that 90mm one, and keeping your current injectors.
I'm not sure I can run the e85 without those injectors. That seems to be the consensus. Also, ive thought about selling that 90mm tb, but I kind of got hosed on the deal by factoring that into it so it's kind of me being stubborn about keeping it in the build at this point lol. I guess I better just keep doing mods to support this throttle body. At least that's the justification to the wife ;)

Thanks again folka!

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
I'm not sure I can run the e85 without those injectors. That seems to be the consensus. Also, ive thought about selling that 90mm tb, but I kind of got hosed on the deal by factoring that into it so it's kind of me being stubborn about keeping it in the build at this point lol. I guess I better just keep doing mods to support this throttle body. At least that's the justification to the wife ;)

Thanks again folka!

I forgot to add, unless you plan on running E85, then you would need the LU47s. The OEM injectors won't support that.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
LU47s for e85. You dont need anything more and definitely do not need a boost a pump. The stock throttlebody is good for 1k hp. Im confused as to why you have to keep it. Sell it and use the money for injectors.

Manic5oh

Reaction score
LU47s for e85. You dont need anything more and definitely do not need a boost a pump. The stock throttlebody is good for 1k hp. Im confused as to why you have to keep it. Sell it and use the money for injectors.
My bad, I should have given clarification. The only reason I'm saying I need to keep it is because I don't want to have to to buy another stock or other throttle body, and undo the wiring harness modification, if I could just tune for the 90mm tb and do what I can to support that tb, if that makes sense, that's my thinking anyway. I'm currently installing headers now, almost done actually. I plan to pull the intake manifold when I install these lu47 injectors and port it. I figure with the headers, I SHOULD get some sort of gains by keeping that 90mm, porting the intake, and doing the 47+e85+tune. In the future, I plan to do the OPG+CS, and while I'm in there doing the comp 3 cams. Am I on the right thought pattern here- utilizing the setup I have and continue to push forward with ME FBO? Thank you

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back