Questions for the guys with Magnachargers

MBullitt08

Reaction score
So Ive decided to go with a supercharger and Ive narrowed it down to the Magnacharger, and the Roush 2300, leaning towards the Magnacharger. I have questions for the guys with Magnachargers.

1. Looking on the website Magnuson says that it adds 125 hp and tq at 7psi. Is that what i can expect on a stock block? I have other goodies on the car but thats not what I have questions about.
2. Is it easy to upgrade the supercharger i.e. new pullies, throttle body, intake, etc. Looking at the Magnacharger compared to the Roush, the Roush is easliy upgradeable but I dont know anything about the Magnacharger.

Im not so much intrested in cold hard facts as I am with personal experiences with the Magnacharger. Any experience will be welcomed

06Mach

forum member
Reaction score
I'd heard that that's about all you can get outta the maggie.

From what I've read it's the bottom level roots blower.

MBullitt08

Reaction score
I searched around and it was kind of hard to find any smaller pullies and stuff, but I might just be looking in the wrong places. That kind of sucks though, the supercharger is made by Eaton I think but im not sure. Jut finding it hard to find info on em

AbdullaGT500

forum member
Reaction score
I would stay away from that, seeing as you're already having trouble finding parts for it. It would be better to stick to one of the more popular blowers.

MBullitt08

Reaction score
Thats kind of what i was thinking. My main want i guess is to have more than 450 to the wheels and it doesnt look like the Magnacharger will do that. I just want the experiences of people who actually own them.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
I don't own one but I've seen two of them on Mustangs at the drag strip. Lots of show with no go, get the TVS 2300 instead. :beerdrink:

ksack

forum member
Reaction score
i have a 1900 and i love it. the low end torque is ridiculous (not to mention the whine!). because magnacharger is a smaller company than roush, you have to order pulleys and stuff from them directly (it was like $79 for a smaller pulley). I'm running 9psi out of my 1900 and getting 470/454 with longtubes but an otherwise stock block. I'm loving the kit and their customer service is outstanding. The canned tune that they give you is very conservative so that they can maintain their 3yr/36k mile warranty, but get it on the dyno with a smaller pulley and you will see some good numbers. as for the tb and intake, it is just as simple as buying a GT500 part because that is what they are using (stock gt500 tb and a similar air box). I'm running the JLT 127mm intake and it fits like a charm.

joebazan

forum member
Reaction score
I have the older Magnuson S/C (MP112) and love the power down low. Currently sitting around 420ish whp, but only at 5psi. I just purchased a smaller pulley for $79 from Magnuson hoping to be around 7psi and 450+ whp, which is enough for me. Yeah its limited but thats kinda a good thing unless you have the $$$ for forged internals. Maybe not the 1st choice if you live at the track, but for playin around on the streets its great. Make sure you buy some sticky tires too or its worthless :)

MBullitt08

Reaction score
At first I wanted the Kenne bell but I understand what you mean about its kind of a good thing its so limited. I just want more than 450whp and eventually end up with 500. Just between the Roush and the Magnacharger Im not ssure which to invest into. They both produce about the same PSI right? Just not real sure how much my factory engine and rods can handle before they go

ksack

forum member
Reaction score
once you go above 10psi on the magnacharger, you are going to need more ribs to prevent belt slip. I'm sure that is the case for the roush too. Anyway, the magnacharger is tested up to 15psi but I'm sure you could get it higher if you wanted. I'm running 9psi at elevation and getting 470 to the wheels, so your 500hp won't be an issue with a smaller pulley (im running -400/1000ths off stock)

Wicked GT

OCD with ADD...
Reaction score
I was running a Magnacharger on my stang before selling it... you can get the "10lb pulley" from Steeda, they are probably the biggest dealer for them. I was running a stock motor with the Magnacharger with no issues with the smaller pulley. I put Detroit Rocker cams, FRPP Throttle Body, Steeda CAI, Pypes LT's and O/R X pipe, and free flowing cat-back... made 448whp/429wtq with a conservative tune. I think you could get it in the 460's but that will be about it without an Overdrive pulley on the crank. If you like the supercharger to have a LOT of whine then get the Maggy. One note, as others have stated this is a low end supercharger and is about 1.8-1.9 liter, and it is not very efficient. I enjoyed it while i had it but would not purchase another, I would go with a Roush next time.

Also a side note... if you want to run a larger throttle body (like the FRPP 62mm) you will need to open the intake on the supercharger some. It is port matched for the factory throttle body so you will have a 1/8" of intake blocking the throttle body (where it meets the supercharger inlet) if you don't bore it out...

MBullitt08

Reaction score
yeah ive been doing some research and a lot of people are saying the maggy is kind of the low end of superchargers. i think im going to go with the roush, but i still have a few months before i pull the trigger on one.

ksack

forum member
Reaction score
I was running a Magnacharger on my stang before selling it... you can get the "10lb pulley" from Steeda, they are probably the biggest dealer for them. I was running a stock motor with the Magnacharger with no issues with the smaller pulley. I put Detroit Rocker cams, FRPP Throttle Body, Steeda CAI, Pypes LT's and O/R X pipe, and free flowing cat-back... made 448whp/429wtq with a conservative tune. I think you could get it in the 460's but that will be about it without an Overdrive pulley on the crank. If you like the supercharger to have a LOT of whine then get the Maggy. One note, as others have stated this is a low end supercharger and is about 1.8-1.9 liter, and it is not very efficient. I enjoyed it while i had it but would not purchase another, I would go with a Roush next time.

Were you running the 5th or 6th gen? the 6th gen is much more efficient and they offer 1.9L and 2.3L. Regardless, it is all really person preference. My mechanic that I get advice from swears by the magnuson units and that is all he uses. You will be able to get more support and have more options going with a name brand like KB or Roush. Still love my maggy =)

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back