questions on new GT from an old guy (moved 2011)

ghostrider7953

Reaction score
My 1st was a 71 Mach1 w/ a 351c & a c-6 tranny. Yes, I am regretfull to this day for selling it.

#1 - I've come from a SRT8 to a 2011 auto GT. The Srt had slap shift - how do you manually shift this automatic? All I see is 1 2 3 and drive with a square around it.

#2 - I had a diablo custom tune on the Srt8 but had NO tranny tuning capabilities. AfR -timing - raising the rev & speedo - gear swap and tire size. What does SCT offer vs diablo ? I see Evo / lethal / blow by and a few others offering "custom tunes" how can they do that without the car?
FPR is offering a drop in filter & Ford tuner ? advertising huge gains @ 1300-1900rpms?

#3 Why would you need a tune for a K&N drop in or a "cold air " intake?

#4 My GT is my company car that I carry customers in; so my mods have to be semi customer friendly . Most of my customers think that it pretty cool for a 57 year old to have a GT for a company car. Any suggestions on mods would be appreciated

SF18C

Reaction score
GR53…I got no answer on the Auto trans, I got the manual.
As for the SRT8 Diablo did let you change shift points, my does. The email/vendor tunes are the same that Diablo does; they set the variables that work best on the car that are above the stock settings. You can get a better, or the way I like to say it, a tighter tune for YOUR car if you take it to a shop that writes a tune for YOUR car. As for the FRPP kit, I still want to sewe the before/after dyno before I buy their sales pitch…seems a little too much to take on face value.
The CAI tubes change the “flow rate” in simple terms and Ford uses a MAF (Mass Airflow Meter) to adjust setting in the engine. A “bigger” CAI will change the dynamic the engine is looking for and decrease the performance of the motor. I don’t think a K&N needs a tune…no change to the MAF readings.
Look into some “mild” exhaust set up…that will help to impress those “customers”…by the way I am sure everyone will want to know what company is using GT 5.0’s for company cars!!!

I am sure other can add to what I am trying to say but I hope I helped.

ghostrider7953

Reaction score
I work in the oilfield primarily with engineers & proj. managers and get a car allowance . IE: I drive what I want - Ram quad , Charger w/ the police pkg and just sold a SRT8 charger. The diablo would allow you to adjust the shift pts from stock of 6200 rpms to 6400 rpms but no shift firmness changes.
The sct comes preloaded like diablo; with "canned tunes" ?
I've been listening to exhaust clips on u tube and so far Bassini is in the lead; I'll be ordering something this weekend.

TonyN

Ford Junkie
Reaction score
I recommend you get a hold of one of the reputable tuners here on this forum. A custom tune from one of them is going to be farrrr better than a "canned" tune from SCT or Diablo (night and day). I personally recommend and prefer SCT, as it has much better support and more folks use SCT so it will be easier in the future for any changes required. SCT is kind of the standard for Ford tuning. Although there are folks who use Diablo with no issues.

As far as CAI's go, most require a tune due to the MAF housing being modified (size and location usually). From what I am seeing the 11's are seeing nice gains from just the CAI/Tuner. I don't think you will regret it. A drop in K&N will not require a tune.

Whatever tuner you decide to go with, they will tweak the trans tables to firm up shifts and give better TC patterns/shifting/driveability. The shift points are usually adjustable in the tuner itself, but not firmness.

Like I suggested, give one of the tuner/vendors on these forums a call and they will take care of you. There are many good ones (BBR, brenspeed, JPC, brookspeed, vmp and many, many more). Do some research and pick one. As far as I know most have support for the '11 already.

Enjoy your new ride!

Last edited:

ghostrider7953

Reaction score
Thanks Tony and Twin.
Nobody can sit behind me so.... shotgun and 1 behind him; I did it for the 1st time today -wasn't too bad but I wasn't the 1 in the back seat.

CMK720

forum member
Reaction score
I would recommend a JLT CAI when it is released and a SCT X3 tuner and custom tune from BBR. Night and day difference there! Other than that you have an awesome company car, good luck with it!

Long Stroke

forum member
Reaction score
Like said get a CAI and Tune. Hard to beat the Steeda package they got. I went into the 11's with only Nitto's and HOT GA weather.

Great company car!

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back