Rear coil overs

07graygt

forum member
Reaction score
I just ordered qa1 front coil overs for my 07 gt. Im wondering if any one is using rear coil overs. I found a few threads but most were really old. I think mmr(i know fuck mmr) for 269 that will go where the shocks are. I also found one from upr but requires welding. I can weld them if need. Just want to see if there is anything else I missed or get some opinions from people who are using these. Also if I go with the upr kit I will do strange 10 way shocks. If I go with the mmr it will be comp. eng. 3 way. And if any one knows what spring rate I should run on the rears. I went with 175 on the front.
Thanks

rcm90

forum member
Reaction score
I've got the UPR kit on the rear. I would suggest either 10-175 or 10-200's depending on how heavy you car is. I also suggest getting some isolators to go between the spring and the body perch, they are quite noisy without. Other than that they are great! If you have any questions or want pics let me know.

07graygt

forum member
Reaction score
That would be awesome if you could give me some pics. You have the weld in kit? How much lower can I get the car? Im on K springs and want to be about an inch lower. I think the car is 3500 with me in and a half tank of gas. So my guess would be 175# The car is used mostly for drag racing and a little cruz here and there.

rcm90

forum member
Reaction score
Yes, I have the weld in kit, Ill grab pics tomorrow in the daylight. Also it will go low enough to ride on the bump stops.

Ssiptang

forum member
Reaction score
Are you guys looking at the UPR adjustable rear spring mounts? If so, do you mind posting pictures here? I was just about to post some questions about these and found this thread.

Whiskey11

SCCA Autoscrosser #23 STU
Reaction score
I'm not sure there is much of an advantage for the S197 chassis for rear coilovers when looked at from the perspective of drag racing. It's going to cut down on rear tire room some and you don't really need a 1.1:1 motion ratio out of the rear suspension for drag racing when the factory rear spring motion ratio for longitudinal work is 1:1. If you want the ride height adjustability go for an adjustable spring perch and spring on the rear axle at the factory locations since it's less shit blocking wheel/tire room...

07graygt

forum member
Reaction score
^^I have no clue what you just said lol. To be truthful. The only reason I'm doing it is to lower the car for looks. If I was going for pure drag car I would prob go with the bmr drag springs with the same shocks I will be using. Right now I'm using a 275/50/17 drag radial and the car hooks great dropping the hammer at 5000. So no issues with tire fit ment.

rcm90

forum member
Reaction score
Whiskey11 is talking about a real coilover. The UPR is an adjustable perch in the stock location.

rcm90

forum member
Reaction score
I'm real sorry guys, I had to work late today and couldn't get the pic. I swear it will be posted tomorrow.

Edit. I got off my ass and took the pic. Sorry about the car being so dirty :yuck:

Last edited:

Sharad

Site Sponsor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing the pics rcm90!! Spray some PTFE/Teflon spray on those sleeves when you get a chance. Lube is good!

Anyway, for those who asked, the advantages are ride height adjustability and multiple spring options.

07graygt

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing the pics rcm90!! Spray some PTFE/Teflon spray on those sleeves when you get a chance. Lube is good!

Anyway, for those who asked, the advantages are ride height adjustability and multiple spring options.

What spring do you recommend? I'm hoping to order these by next week with the strange 10 way adjustables.

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Sharad for a full weight car, 4000 lbs with me in it, which spring weight would you recommend, the 175# or the 200#?

Earl

WytHorse

forum member
Reaction score
Someone with actual experience feel free to interject, but this is a judgement call.

If you are going to use rear coil overs, I would highly recommend bracing the top of the shock mount area as it was not designed to support all of the weight of the car... if you look at boss s/r cars (which use coil-overs), they are braced there....

and I would agree with Whiskey11, I don't see a benefit if drag racing is your goal, height and spring rate adjustability are present with an adjustable spring perch

Last edited:

07graygt

forum member
Reaction score
This is not a true coil over. It replaces the factory spring with a coil over style spring and adjustable spring purch. It all goes in the stock location. I just ordered mine. I called upr and they recommend the 175 spring.

rcm90

forum member
Reaction score
Sharad for a full weight car, 4000 lbs with me in it, which spring weight would you recommend, the 175# or the 200#?

Earl

I would use 10-200 for yours.. I've got that but my car weighs 3360 now, so I'm going to be switching to a lighter spring since it currently rides like a skate board.

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thanks I am thinking the 200# spring also, just want to be sure and then decide if I want to spend more money on my pig. I would like to be able to change the height with different tires. I run an almost 29" DR in the summer and the gap is perfect but with the 27" tires I run in the cooler months, there is too much gap for my liking.

Earl

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back