Removing Tree Sap?

Pumpkinfish

Johnny Quarter Mile
Reaction score
I parked under a tree at a cruise night and I now have this one glob of tree sap on my fender. What is the best way to get this off? I tried a hot water compress by taking newspaper, putting it under hot water then letting it sit on my fender for a few hours in my garage. It loosened up some of the sap, but it isn't coming off 100%. I don't know what kind of tree this was, but this crap just won't come off!!!

Redwolf

Reaction score
I have never had tree sap on my Mustang, but I have had it on my Focus several times. What has worked for me is wash the area thoroughly. Then I used "3M Finish Restorer". I used this with medium pressure and the sap polished away. When using any type of paint polishes, the polishes dries fairly quick and will need a second or third application. After each application dries, I used a clean dry cloth to wype it away and apply another until it tried. It didn't happen immediately because sap is some stubborn shit. After a minute or two it was gone. If the "3M Finish Restorer" doesn't work (it should), then try the "3M Scratch Remover". This is more aggressive and use with caution and begin with light pressure. The Finish Restorer will be needed after using the Scratch Remover.

I'm sure there are other products that work well, but these have worked well for me without damaging my paint on any car I have used them on.

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Cut the tree down.. problem solved.

So I guess this means you finally got your transmission issue figured out?

RedMosesSC

Reaction score
Ive been told Naptha or "Mineral Spirits" are good for removing all types of stains, i tried some Mineral spirits to remove some stains from my white vynl stripes but it was unsuccesfull, it cleaned them up though. but it may work better for sap, especially bieng that its fresh.

thecarter13

forum member
Reaction score
Following along with previous posters, I suggest starting with a wash and working your way down the line this way:

1. Wash
  2. Stoners Tarminator/Surf City Garage Road Grime (the best imo for this stuff)
  3. Clay w/ Clay Magic blue/red or Megs Pro Detail Clay (something a bit more aggresive then megs white.)
  4. Compound or Polish (start with stuff mentioned above, much lighter compounds and work your way up the cut scale.) It shouldn't come to this step however.

You can also try mineral spirits, denatured alchohol, or even a moderate degreaser in between steps 1/2. With the mineral spirits use an eye dropper thingy and let it sit for a good 10 to 15 minutes then try and remove. It also depends on how long the bird sap has sat, this can really influence what kind of approach should be used.

To TheShocker, how long has the bird sap been on there and what product did you use to try and take it off with?

Pumpkinfish

Johnny Quarter Mile
Reaction score
Cut the tree down.. problem solved.

So I guess this means you finally got your transmission issue figured out?

Hell no. I have driven the car maybe three times until I can get up to Level Ten. Hopefully this weekend. Depends on how the very pregnant wife feels on following me up there, lol!

SlvrS197

Reaction score
I use dryer sheets.(yes for clothes dryers) Just get em wet, and they work for removing sap, and bugs. Then just rinse after.

Pumpkinfish

Johnny Quarter Mile
Reaction score
Well I finally got this crap off! I tried Goof-Off, Bug&Tar remover from turtle Wax, and mineral spirits. The only thing that worked was taking my Dremel with polishing compound on it and lightly going over it until it came off. New mental note: never park under trees again at cruise ins!!!!

300angryhorses

forum member
Reaction score
sap again

I'm resurrecting this one. I bought a GT500 spoiler from someone on another site, and it came with a little extra coloring. I think that it is sap.

I've tried goo-gone & purell, and that took off the surface stuff. Now it seems like what is left is cut into the clear coat.

Is wet-sanding my only option?

Attachments

• sap.jpg
    sap.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 15

postalworker

forum member
Reaction score
For relatively fresh sap, rubbing alcohol works great. I used it on the black GN
many times, when I was dumb enough to park under a tree. It is easy to do, just
wet a cloth and rub gently, then re-wax that section. And it's CHEAP !

eddypython

forum member
Reaction score
I wouldn't use alcohol on paint. anything over 70 proof will melt your clear right off.

Goo gone can work, I would remove most of it with water and soap , then CLAYBAR time. That sucker removed all.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back