Running lean after piston soak.

Laga

Reaction score
05 GT with Edelbrock E-force, 8# boost, converted to E85. 57K miles. Lito tune. Car has always run great and had no problems with compression tests. Long story, short.

2 years after the blower install, I added a catch can to drivers side PCV in February, I discovered the car had excessive blowby from volume of oil in can. 3 tablespoons after a 20 mile run with 3-4 WOT pulls. Borescope inspection showed most pistons 50% covered in carbon. This I attribute to a combination of years of short trips before blower, lack of catch can on PCV, and an incredibly rich tune from Brenspeed when blower was installed. After doing multiple piston soaks by pulling spark plugs and allowing cleaner to soak over night, I was able to clean both the top of the pistons and free up the struck rings. Volume of oil in catch can has gone down to 1/4 teaspoon after same run. There were no other changes. Clearly, the rings are no longer stuck.
I thought it might be a good idea to send Lito a datalog. (Less blowby, more compression?) He said car was running lean now. The injectors are running out even with high delta. After testing a lower percentage of ethanol, he said the car could handle a blend of up to 50%. Again, everything was fine back in January when he tuned for a new torque converter I had installed before I did all the cleaning.

I really like the way the car runs on the ethanol. It is much better than 93 octane and is very convenient for me to get. While it would be possible to estimate a 50% blend at multiple pumps, it would be a real PITA. I still have the 39# (IIRC) injectors that came with the E-Force kit.
Would larger injectors solve this problem? If so, how large?

To give an example of before and after here are photos. The first is after 9 months and 2500 miles of just E70, winter blend. The second is 6 weeks later, 200 miles, after 2 piston soaks. All pistons are spotless now.

D7210B46-C100-459F-A3D9-6FAD17C032C3.jpeg

8212C12B-1D12-404C-BE03-96A3F74D1EAF.jpeg

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Sure sounds like you need bigger injectors because of the e85.
I would have Lito confirm you are actually running out of injectors before deciding on how much you have to increase injector size. And if you have any plans on upping the boost in the future.
As a general estimate, since you have enough injector to run e50, you need atleast 30% more.

Laga

Reaction score
I cannot raise boost in future. At limits of internals now. Car is mostly show and occasional track time.
Lito’s suggesting running lower concentration. I don’t know if I want that. Looking for opinions.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
What size injectors do you have now?

Laga

Reaction score
Thanks.
Another question. Is my thinking correct, that if the pressure in the cylinder is increased by the reduction of blowby, that this will lead to a lean condition? With no other changes.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks.
Another question. Is my thinking correct, that if the pressure in the cylinder is increased by the reduction of blowby, that this will lead to a lean condition? With no other changes.
Fuel trims should take care of any difference with compression.
The injector change is for WOT power only. So if you are lean part throttle/light load, that is not an injector undersize issue.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back