Should I change my spark plugs soon?

LordBritish

forum member
Reaction score
05 GT here with 40,000 miles on it.

No problems but I've heard horror stories where plugs get stuck or even break.

I'm terrified of doing it myself and will probably pay somebody to do it.

Should I change them soon or let it be ?

Sinner

forum member
Reaction score
i would because i am having my blower installed and 4 plugs broke when they were changing them. my car has 65k miles on it but the last ower changed them about 15k miles ago.

are all the plugs you can buy for these cars of a 2 peice design, or is there something better you can buy?

LordBritish

forum member
Reaction score
i would because i am having my blower installed and 4 plugs broke when they were changing them. my car has 65k miles on it but the last ower changed them about 15k miles ago.

are all the plugs you can buy for these cars of a 2 peice design, or is there something better you can buy?

I heard you can buy one piece Champion spark plugs.

Should I even attempt to do this myself ?

I don't even have a torque wrench - lol.

LordBritish

forum member
Reaction score
Then NO. That's one of the tools you need for this job.

I can buy one but I still have doubts as to my capabilities.

I've heard even certified Ford techs have broken spark plugs in our cars - if they can't do it, there's no chance in hell I can do it w/o breaking the plugs.

nmb15831

forum member
Reaction score
75k on stock plugs here. im paying the stealership to change them this summer. i say that if you are going to pay someone else anyways then just wait a while. if your plugs are not missing then dont bother for at least another 25k. mine are still good and i beat on my car almost everyday. O and buy your plugs from american muscle, the dealerships want like $20 a plug and you can get them for way cheaper than that. hope this helps.

1lowtoy

forum member
Reaction score
I recommend changing them at least every 30k. Out of all the cars I have done, I've only had one break. A little bit of PB blaster and turning them a 1/8 turn at a time helps a whole lot. It takes a while to change them this way but it lessens the chance of one breaking. The biggest problem you can run into is the ceramic breaking and dropping into the cylinder. Then the head needs to come off.

LordBritish

forum member
Reaction score
So is this something a newb can do ?

Remember I don't even own a torque wrench yet.

Legend Shaker

forum member
Reaction score
This is the procedure that I used. It worked for me. Do not add too much solvent and wash the cylinders! I found this on the Stage 3 Motorsports site. There is also alot of info in the tech section and info on the broken plug removal tool. Additionally, my car had only 14,000 on it when I did it and one plug was a little hard to get out! I hope that this helps!

Cheers :beer:
Mike

7538_10939_218833.jpg

• To remove spark plugs without damage, it is necessary to adhere exactly to this procedure before removal is attempted.

• CAUTION: DO NOT REMOVE PLUGS WHEN THE ENGINE IS WARM OR HOT. THE ENGINE MUST BE AT ROOM TEMPERATURE WHEN PERFORMING SPARK PLUG SERVICE. REMOVING THE SPARK PLUGS FROM A WARM/HOT ENGINE INCREASES THE CHANCE THE THREADS COULD BE DAMAGED.
Spark Plug Removal Procedure:​

• Remove the coil-on-plug assemblies and thoroughly blow out the spark plug wells and surrounding valve cover area with compressed air. Back out the spark plugs no more than 1/8 to 1/4 of a turn. Using Motorcraft® Carburetor Tune-Up Cleaner, fill the spark plug well just above where the jamb nut hex sits (1/2 - 3/4 teaspoon). A minimum period of 15 minutes of soak time is required. The cleaner will wick down to the ground electrode shield and soften the carbon deposits in this time. DO NOT WORK the spark plug back and forth at this point.

• NOTE: COMPLETELY REVIEW THE PRODUCT LABEL FOR THE MOTORCRAFT CARBURETOR TUNE UP CLEANER PRODUCT - USE AT ROOM TEMPERATURE AND SHAKE WELL.

• CAUTION: EXCESSIVE MOTORCRAFT® CARBURETOR TUNE-UP CLEANER, OR REPEATING THE PROCESS SEVERAL TIMES WITH TOO MUCH CLEANER FLUID, COULD INTRODUCE ENOUGH LIQUID VOLUME TO HYDRO-LOCK THE ENGINE.

• CAUTION: DO NOT USE AIR OR POWER TOOLS FOR SPARK PLUG REMOVAL. SPARK
PLUGS MUST ONLY BE REMOVED WITH HAND TOOLS.

• Tighten, and then loosen the spark plug, working the plug back and forth. Some screeching and high effort may be noticed. The expected removal torque is about 33 lb-ft (45 N-m). Repeat the back and forth turning as needed until turning effort is reduced, and remove the spark plugs.

• NOTE: NEW PLUGS SHOULD BE INSTALLED USING A FILM COATING OF MOTORCRAFT HIGH TEMPERATURE NICKEL ANTI-SEIZE LUBRICANT ON THE GROUND ELECTRODE SHIELD. DO NOT COAT THE ELECTRODE STRAP.

• Torque spark plugs to 34Nm (25 lb-ft). Reinstall the coils. Torque the coil bolts to 6Nm (4.5 lb-ft).

Sinergyms

Sinergy Motorsports Inc.
Reaction score
We usually do a LOT of 05+ spark plugs due to the issue with the lack of threads and weak porcelain, but if you want to DIY there is more than one way to skin a cat but I don't know if I would go the route above necessarily.

- Do it on a cold engine
- Remove the COP's
- Use a can of compressed air (or small pressure air gun off compressor if you have one) to blow out any particulates in each spark plug hole.
- Spray a small amount of penetrating lubricant (pb blaster or even wd40 works fine)
- Start on any plug and start to put some pressure on it turning it. If it makes any screeching or grinding noise add a small amount of spray lubricant, move on to the next plug. Repeat this process until you have them all out.
It helps to have a telescoping magnet or magnetic socket to do this.

I would avoid the back and forth tighten/untighten method described above as that can just further grind inbetween the threads any dirt/grime/metal particulates left in there.

When installing the plugs, remember to use some anti-seize (a little, don't douse em) on the threads and torque to 25 lb/ft.

- Reinstall COP's, connect em, done.

The bottom line is this. If you don't feel comfortable doing this, take it to a professional. There is good reason all the major tool companies make a broken plug removal kit specifically for the 3v head.

If you hear noise when turning the plugs and continue to force them, you will most likely break them in there and it is a PAIN in the ASS to get them out then.

If you REALLY don't want to tackle this and live in the socal area, bring it by and I'll do it for you. Don't worry. I won't tell anyone.

LordBritish

forum member
Reaction score
What tools would I need for this job?

* Torque wrench, i've established that so far :)
* Sockets - what size and type do I need.

You mentioned something about a telescoping magnetic socket - what's that?

mineralgraygt

Reaction score
Im tech at a Ford dealership and we don't them cold we let then run for five mins and then crack them loose an eight of a turn and spray the carb cleaner and let them sit for fifteen mins then take them out. I can usual get all of them out without breaking. The one that we see break the most are 4 and 8

dustindu4

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Stay away from the Champion plugs, they are junk. I spent like 20 each on them when they first came out and my car ran like shit. I bought a set of motorcraft plugs and put them in and it ran fine after that.

I changed mine out at 70k and followed the TSB to the letter. I didn't break any. I let the car sit for hours with the carb cleaner soaking on them. If you rush they will break. Take your time.

PUNISHERSTANG

Patrolman
Reaction score
if you have the time i do everything the ford tsb says but i soak them 4 times in a 24 hour period. once i have them out i blow out the cyliders with an air gun. i do an oil change at the same time since i spray so much carb cleaner. heck the weather is so bad here i could spray it every day for a month before i could drive the car again lol.

RetroGT2006

06 S197 Member
Reaction score
62k on my stock plugs here, i haven't bothered to change them out because somepoint in the year i will have my turbo kit on and i already have the plugs waiting in my room.

LordBritish

forum member
Reaction score
Stay away from the Champion plugs, they are junk. I spent like 20 each on them when they first came out and my car ran like shit. I bought a set of motorcraft plugs and put them in and it ran fine after that.

I changed mine out at 70k and followed the TSB to the letter. I didn't break any. I let the car sit for hours with the carb cleaner soaking on them. If you rush they will break. Take your time.

Which one piece spark plug should I use for my 05 GT if not Champion?

moostang09

Resident YouTube Guy
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I know this is the 4.0 tech thread but since yall are chatting about it i thought id ask. Is this a problem in the v6's as well? or just the 3v?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back