Tensioner Issue, confused

Saleen4971

forum member
Reaction score
am i imagining things? looks to me that the pulley in the first video has more unused space on the front - meaning the tensioner arm is leaning towards the timing cover when under load. i see that more often than anything else at work - the tensioner starts to become misaligned with the rest of the pulleys and makes belt noise.

either way, you seem to have narrowed it down to the tensioner arm, so......get rid of it?

07 Boss

Reaction score
am i imagining things? looks to me that the pulley in the first video has more unused space on the front - meaning the tensioner arm is leaning towards the timing cover when under load. i see that more often than anything else at work - the tensioner starts to become misaligned with the rest of the pulleys and makes belt noise.

either way, you seem to have narrowed it down to the tensioner arm, so......get rid of it?

Well it had a wider pulley on it but the distance to the inside edge from the bearing is the same for both pulleys. The other just extended out a bit more to accommodate a wider belt. The belt rides on the same part of both pulleys in relation to the bearing.

Well if the arm is bad I'm going to have to replace it. The stocker is getting me around but I know it won't keep the belt tight enough and there is always the chance of it bending under load. Either I will go with the same one or one of those ugly Frankentensioners. Unless someone else has a suggestion for a tensioner arm.

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
You could try those tension reinforcement plates by Roush and Edlebrock.

07 Boss

Reaction score
So just a quick update. I went and bought a new pulley from Thump racing and put it on the arm. Installed the arm and still squeaking. I talked to Thump Racing and explained to them the situation. They told me to recheck the alignment of the pulleys and if that was OK to send the arm in for a rebuild. If there is something wrong with the arm the rebuild will be free. If they can't find anything wrong they will rebuild it and charge me $60. The stock arm is on there now and running decent, it just doesn't provide enough tension.

MassMustang

forum member
Reaction score
Any updates on this? I'm looking to install a Metco MCP2005 12% OD crank pulley and a heavy duty tensioner. I tend to find new noises everytime I upgrade something! LOL

07 Boss

Reaction score
Any updates on this? I'm looking to install a Metco MCP2005 12% OD crank pulley and a heavy duty tensioner. I tend to find new noises everytime I upgrade something! LOL

No, haven't done anything about it as there is no chirping. But the belt squeel between gear shifts is getting annoying.

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
I had an annoying squeal on a previous motor and after replacing all the idler pulleys and bearings it ended up being the belt, replaced the belt and it was nice and quiet. The old belt looked perfect too, no cracks or anything.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back