Track Day at NJMP

TheViking

Reaction score
Went to Track Daze event with a friend for two days at NJMP (Thunderbolt course). First time with this car on a road course and first time ever at NJMP. Changed engine oil/trans fluid to Amsoil 10w30/GL4. Flushed brake fluid with synthetic dot4.
Observations:
-Heavy car, late turn-in/late apex most corners seemed to work best. But I know I still have a lot to learn here.
-Motor has pretty of power everywhere for a typical track day. Could leave it in 4th gear and it would pull around the track just fine.
-Goodyear F1 Supercar's, not such a good street tire but a pretty good track tire.
-Stock Brembo pads won't last long with continued threshold braking from high speeds (120+). Burnt off about 1/2 pad in two days and I was trying to conserve the brakes.
GTCSTrack3_zpsec3ef574.jpg

Friend brought his Griggs-equipped Roush GR40 track toy. Impressive car.
GTCSTrack4_zps05ee2199.jpg

GTCSTrack5_zpsa17e61f8.jpg

Installed the GT500 brakes and and Laguna Seca cooling ducts just before this event. Cooling duct kit is a bit of a PITA to install.
GTCSTrack6_zps1a49c058.jpg

Last edited:

kevinatfms

EX-ford tech(6 years)
Reaction score
one of my favorite courses on the east coast. i gotta head back up one day and do another event.

sounds like you had a blast.

argonaut

forum member
Reaction score
how was trackdaze as an org?

good group of folks?

also what times were you running?
They are very experienced, well organized and their events always run on time. Unlike NASA they are only HPDE, thus you don't compete for track time with the racers. In the Advanced group they allow us to take passengers and pass any where on track, even in corners, with a point. I like to run with some of the Porsche and BMW clubs also but my favorite is TrackDaze.

As for times - with the chicane times in the mid to upper 1:30s are pretty quick for DE'ers. Its a bit of a horsepower track.

Sharad

Site Sponsor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Went to Track Daze event with a friend for two days at NJMP (Thunderbolt course). First time with this car on a road course and first time ever at NJMP. Changed engine oil/trans fluid to Amsoil 10w30/GL4. Flushed brake fluid with synthetic dot4.
Observations:
-Heavy car, late turn-in/late apex most corners seemed to work best. But I know I still have a lot to learn here.
-Motor has pretty of power everywhere for a typical track day. Could leave it in 4th gear and it would pull around the track just fine.
-Goodyear F1 Supercar's, not such a good street tire but a pretty good track tire.
-Stock Brembo pads won't last long with continued threshold braking from high speeds (120+). Burnt off about 1/2 pad in two days and I was trying to conserve the brakes.
GTCSTrack3_zpsec3ef574.jpg

Great pic. Thanks for sharing!

TheViking

Reaction score
We'll organized, good foolks, very similar to NASA.
They are very experienced, well organized and their events always run on time.
As others indicated, the club was very well organized and professional. First time I ran with any car club (only ran bikes prior) but would definitely run with them again. As for lap times no idea as I didn't have anything hooked up. People I was running with were 1:48-1:50 so I'd say it was probably in that range. I did go out in the black (advanced) group with one of the instructors and that was entertaining:)

While I trailered the car I really didn't want to wipe out the $1600 Goodyears and I could really start to smell the brakes as I went faster. So the plan for next year is to get some 18" rims/dedicated track tires and better pads. I'd definitely like to run NJMP again but would also like to try Summit Point Shenandoah. I ran Jefferson and Main on bikes but the Shenandoah wasn't open when I was riding. Everybody say's it's a fun, technical circuit so I'm looking forward to trying it out.

Last edited:

etc1006

forum member
Reaction score
Hey Ron! Didn't know you we're here too. Nice pics of you and Jason running!

Last edited:

TheViking

Reaction score
Hey Eric, small world these days! Congratulations on the 2010, how do you like it?

argonaut

forum member
Reaction score
I'd definitely like to run NJMP again but would also like to try Summit Point Shenandoah. I ran Jefferson and Main on bikes but the Shenandoah wasn't open when I was riding. Everybody say's it's a fun, technical circuit so I'm looking forward to trying it out.
I've been on Shenandoah many times, most recently this past weekend. It's endlessly entertaining and has so many little nuances that it takes a very long time to master. The original paving must have been done by the low bidder because its paved like a road..complete with a crown. This makes many of the turns off camber. Its an excellent track for learning to deal with understeer situations and practicing trail braking - in couple of the corners you have to use trailbraking to get the car rotated else you will scrub huge speed.

TrackDaze always has a spring event there. I'll most likely be attending it. Watch for it!.

Brad

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back