UDPs for the 4.0?

Turtle

Reaction score
I've been looking for underdrive pulleys for the 4.0 since I bought my car! I must admit, that's only been since yesterday . . . but still. i haven't been able to find any yet. do they make 'em? Are there any companies out there that are well known for working with the V6?

Turtle

Reaction score
Thanks, man.

So, a quick google search turned up a few others. Steeda makes one (probably shouldn't be a surprise) and so do a few others. They all look the same, so I can't imagine there's a huge difference in function. One of them claims 16hp to the wheels.

alloy6ix

Wiener Dog Racer
Reaction score
Thanks, man.

So, a quick google search turned up a few others. Steeda makes one (probably shouldn't be a surprise) and so do a few others. They all look the same, so I can't imagine there's a huge difference in function. One of them claims 16hp to the wheels.

I wouldn't rely on those number too much. do you already have a CAI and tune?

I do remember reading a good while back that the UDP on a 4.0 were more trouble than they were worth. i.e., problems with the alternator and the AC on occasion.

shb5007

forum member
Reaction score
The UDP should be one of the last bolt-on modifications you do to the 4.0L engine.

You will realistically get like 4-6 rwhp from the crank pulley.

Turtle

Reaction score
Right, that's why I posted that number, seemed a bit high for just an UDP. Especially considering that the other manufacturers were saying 7-8 rwhp.

Why do you say that a UDP should be one of the last bolt-ons to a V6? It's always been a simple upgrade that nets decent response in previous cars I've owned.

shb5007

forum member
Reaction score
I just think there a bunch of other bolt-on mods that provide a better range of performance than an UDP.

Tuner & CAI Package, LCA's, Driveshaft, etc.

Stolen 98

forum member
Reaction score
I believe ASP makes the pulley for steeda...but steedasteve could probably confirm. I noticed a couple mpg when I installed mine, no major seat of the pants improvement.

I recommend buying a new crank pulley bolt when installing as these bolts are torque to yield and stretch. I would scour the internet for a deal before paying ASP's full tag.

If your looking for a bigger seat of the pants mod...look into a muffler as well as a ZABTEK throttlebody...the throttlebody really woke my car up!

Turtle

Reaction score
Right on. I'm trying to sell the hardtop from my Jeep right now, hoping to get over a grand for that and use it for some bolt-ons for the Stang. first on the list is true duals; found out yesterday that one of the girls who works for me, her husband runs a shop that specializes in Mustangs, and he's gonna try to get some parts at dealer cost for me, which would be muy, muy bueno.

But, I've heard other folks on here say that the TB is a waste of money until I go FI? I was putting that at the top of my list until I heard that, but you think it's worthwhile, Stolen?

j-stang

forum member
Reaction score
i'v seen evidence that even on a f/i car the bigger throttle bodys are only wort 8-10hp an even less tq. not something i would worry about getting untill your try to squeeze power out.

i think that this thread on the collective will help you out. this is a thread put together by the collective for one of the magazine's. long read but you'll learn alot about what works and what dont.
http://www.mustangcollective.com/showthread.php?t=15229

j-stang

forum member
Reaction score
oh, and turtle, listen to him.. ^^^^ he knows his shit as well.

Oh, and Jeremy, the guy that got your nitrous kit, got the window switch as well. :beerchug2:
nice! i didnt think the stuff would ever sell i was looking into actually spraying it haha.

these forums are a priceless tool for learning about this kinda stuff.

Stolen 98

forum member
Reaction score
I like the ZABTECK as not only does it smooth out the air flow & increase mpg's...but you also get a new TPS and drive by wire motor, as they are new units from FORD. This was part of my decision as my "new" V6 had 35K miles on it so replacing sensors is always good.

Aside from Nitrous/SC/Turbo --all of which I've had on a mustang BTW...No single "bolt on" is going to make the crazy seat of the pants difference as FI. That being said plan out your goal for the car and add mods together, changing your mind after the fact gets real expensive real quick!

More air in/More air out is the goal so opening up the intake side isn't doing near as much as opening the exhaust & intake at the same time.

Back