Wiring New head Unit to Sync Steering wheel controls.

still_life127

forum member
Reaction score
Ok so, I just installed my new Parrot Asteroid smart android based head unit in my car. Long story short, this head unit is amazing, but im having some difficulties wiring it up to the stock steering wheel controls. There is a plug and play steering wheel harness that can be bought for just about any other head unit aside from this one of course. You have to buy parrots proprietary fuckin module and the wiring diagrams are pretty much useless. So here's where Im at.

There's a molex connector that goes to the back of the headunit, and the power, ground, ignition for the module are all obvious. The hard part is identifying how to wire the communication wires. Perhaps somebody that is more knowledgeable in this region can help me out here.

Question 1: Which protocol do I use?
Question 2: Am I tapping off the sync interface or off the stock stereo
Question 3: I have 6 Wires that can be potentially used based on what protocol the car uses. Can high, Can Lo, K-Bus, V1, V2, Ground. Which ones do i need to be using

If somebody can help me with this, they would be my fuckin hero. :asskiss2:

Last edited:

Scott_0

forum member
Reaction score
sorry I cant offer any help on your question, but can you provide some details on that system? maybe some pics too?

still_life127

forum member
Reaction score
Turns out Parrot doesn't support fords with sync. Thanks a lot parrot, you dicks. Guess im going to go with what I originally wanted. The Pioneer AVIC-Z150BH. Unfortunately im gonna have to eat the $100 parrot steering wheel interface cause i chopped up the wiring trying to get it to work. Oh well I guess....

BadHabit2Break

forum member
Reaction score
Turns out Parrot doesn't support fords with sync. Thanks a lot parrot, you dicks. Guess im going to go with what I originally wanted. The Pioneer AVIC-Z150BH. Unfortunately im gonna have to eat the $100 parrot steering wheel interface cause i chopped up the wiring trying to get it to work. Oh well I guess....

So can you live without the SYNC?

I am sure the radio can do the samething.

still_life127

forum member
Reaction score
so not willing to post pics of the system?????

Sure, I mean im willing. I'm just not exactly sure what to take pictures of?

So can you live without the SYNC?

I am sure the radio can do the samething.

Its not the sync that I care about. I want to be able to raise/lower the volume and switch songs without taking my eyes off the road.

Its all good. I'm just gonna take this head unit back and get the Pioneer.

BadHabit2Break

forum member
Reaction score
Its not the sync that I care about. I want to be able to raise/lower the volume and switch songs without taking my eyes off the road.

Its all good. I'm just gonna take this head unit back and get the Pioneer.

Well there should be a box that interprets the signal from the steering wheel controls to do this. This has nothing to do with SYNC.

Usually there are a couple of wires to hook up and a resister to put in place and you program it.

still_life127

forum member
Reaction score
Well there should be a box that interprets the signal from the steering wheel controls to do this. This has nothing to do with SYNC.

Usually there are a couple of wires to hook up and a resister to put in place and you program it.

There should be, but theres not. Not for Parrot anyway. I ended up swapping the parrot for the pioneer AVIC-Z150BH which gave me back my steering wheel controls but I'm still not satisfied with my loss of voice commands. So after a ton of research and talking to a few people, I'm going to now, trade in the pioneer for a kenwood and go this route:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6yFi_xZ0Ps

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back